Rose Mahogany (Australian Rosewood)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tonxi
Blackwood

Rose Mahogany (Australian Rosewood)

Post by Tonxi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi, I'm Tonxi and I just joined. I am yet to embark on my first ukulele. The book and plans I bought should arrive soon. I still can't decide on tonewoods.
I have quite a bit of this. It was old and dry when I got my hands it 15-20 years ago.
It was cut with a chainsaw. I have 2 slabs that are well preserved, each 580 x 900. 1 is 38-48 thick the other 48-58. I also have 2 weathered slabs around 3mx 30mm with use-able parts 300-450 wide.
Plus the outside of the log 3m x 450mm x (30mm-250mm). (A curved wedge, less than 1/2 the diameter).
It must have been a huge tree. I'm not sure, but I think it came from SE QLD.
Which parts, if any are likely to be any good for back or sides? What about a top?
How do I tell? Would it make good ukulele necks?
I was told that it is almost as easy to make 2 at a time as 1. Any thoughts on this?
It's a bit of a mixed post but hopefully 1/2 of it is in the right place.
:gui

Great minds like a think!
Martyn

The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up!

It's not over until Ricky Pontin cries! (Not long now).

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Rose Mahogany (Australian Rosewood)

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:31 pm

First of hello and welcome to the forum. We like it if you add a signature with your name so we can get to know you. You can do that via the "User Control Panel" link in the upper right hand of the browser window.

I've split this post off and placed it in the main forum, as your question has more to do with general instrument building rather than a specific species of wood. You are also more likely to get more traffic viewing your post.

Without seeing the actual pieces of cleaned up wood it's hard to comment. But ukuleles can be made from just about wood you could imagine. Certainly you can make a neck out of it. For tops and backs it's 1/4 sawn that you'd be looking for. Same goes for sides but perhaps not quite as critical.

As far as making more than one at a time, many do. I've done as many as 6 at once. When you build in multiples, thing is though that if you make a mistake on one, you are more than likely going to make the same mistake on the second. Might be an idea to get a grasp of what you are doing before jumping in building in batches. I can guarantee that your second will be much better than your first, given time to digest what you did right, and what went wrong.....and something will go wrong. Does for all of us, so don't despair when it happens, but learn for it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Welcome to the ANZLF Tonxi...As Allen said we really need images to be able to comment at all. If you could skip dress one side of the boards and clean cut the ends so we can see the grain orientation in the images it will help in assessing their worth for instrument wood.

Cheers

Kim

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 am

Hi tonxi check out my uke making videos at www.ateliertomi.com
Hope it helps you cheers ernie

stopper
Sassafras

Post by stopper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Tonxi,
I have quite a bit of nsw scented rosewood myself and I've been cutting some for guitars and ukes. Make sure you saw it on the quarter and well away from any surface checking. It can be disappointing as flaws often appear after sawing. It can also be fantastic.

Good to hear of another forum member close by.

regards
Steve

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

stopper wrote:Hi Tonxi,
I have quite a bit of nsw scented rosewood myself and I've been cutting some for guitars and ukes. Make sure you saw it on the quarter and well away from any surface checking. It can be disappointing as flaws often appear after sawing. It can also be fantastic.

Good to hear of another forum member close by.

regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
I see you are from Dorrigo. I don't suppose you are the Steve from Dorrigo woodworks who's phone # I have been looking for all morning?
I saw a basswood ukulele set on ebay a few weeks ago. At the time I was toying with the idea of a Stewmac kit so I didn't bid. I did however write his # down somewhere.
If it is you, do you still have that set for sale?
Tonxi
Martyn

The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up!

It's not over until Ricky Pontin cries! (Not long now).

stopper
Sassafras

Post by stopper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 am

Dorrigo Woodworks is my little enterprise. I have a few sets from time to time and mostly sell on ebay. I spend most of my time sawing up customers logs. I also have a big resaw if you want to slice that rosewood up.
Sounds like woodrat has helped you with a set but I'll pm my phone number for you anyway.

cheers
Steve