A visit with the Woodrat

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

A visit with the Woodrat

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Everyone,
Yesterday afternoon I was lucky enough to visit John The woodrat, and was given a tour of his workshop,I thought I was in Luthiers Heaven :D John was gratious enough to show me over his workshop and even let me play one of his beautiful instruments, easily one of the best guitars that I have ever had the honour to sit down with.I think I learnt more from John in one afternoon than I could have learnt from reading in a month of sundays,a true Luthier and craftsman. John showed me a slight imperfection in one of his builds that he was planning on rectifying, and even after he pointed it out to me,I could'nt see it :? this man is a true perfectionist. Where else could you find someone like John prepared to give up his time for a newbie ?.If I can One day be half as good as this craftsman,I will be very happy, Thanks again John, an experience I won't forget.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Nick
Blackwood

Re: A visit with the Woodrat

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:20 am

Tod Gilding wrote:Hi Everyone,
Yesterday afternoon I was lucky enough to visit John The woodrat, and was given a tour of his workshop,I thought I was in Luthiers Heaven :D John was gratious enough to show me over his workshop and even let me play one of his beautiful instruments, easily one of the best guitars that I have ever had the honour to sit down with.I think I learnt more from John in one afternoon than I could have learnt from reading in a month of sundays,a true Luthier and craftsman. John showed me a slight imperfection in one of his builds that he was planning on rectifying, and even after he pointed it out to me,I could'nt see it :? this man is a true perfectionist. Where else could you find someone like John prepared to give up his time for a newbie ?.If I can One day be half as good as this craftsman,I will be very happy, Thanks again John, an experience I won't forget.
This Advert has been paid for by "John The Woodrat" :lol: :lol:
Glad you had a great experience Tod & that John has made such an impression, it's always great to have a wander around someone elses shop & even for us 'non newbies' it can be an enlightening experience when you see how other approach the same tasks but differently & just to talk guitars can be fun & time well spent.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 am

And the photos of John's tonewood stash????? :?
Martin

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am

This Advert has been paid for by "John The Woodrat"
Did I go too far......Couldnt help it :D
And the photos of John's tonewood stash?????
quote]

The Security guards at the door took my camera :D don't worry John I won't tell anyone about those master Grade Blackwood sets :D Trust Me
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:19 am

Well thank you Tod, I am glad that your visit fired your enthusiasm for lutherie and that you will now take that into your first acoustic build...just keep on reading and observing what others are doing. This forum is a great avenue for that and I have experienced other peoples generosity so I am happy to help others who may have just started on the long journey that is instrument making...

...sorry Martin...my stash I keep in a little box under the stairs...i :wink:

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:32 pm

woodrat wrote:...sorry Martin...my stash I keep in a little box under the stairs...i :wink:

John
Is this something we should'nt be telling the police about John? :lol: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:07 pm

... :oops: opps!...thats not what I meant!!!

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:43 pm

woodrat wrote:...sorry Martin...my stash I keep in a little box under the stairs...i :wink: John
Nick wrote:Is this something we should'nt be telling the police about John? :lol: :lol:
Cats out of the bag now John... :mrgreen: Find a new hidey hole...

Either that, or else given that you're a luthier and therefore must surely suffer from WAS like the rest of us "sane" builders - that must be one heck of a big staircase :shock:

Jeremy.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:17 am

Jeremy, it was a lame attempt at convincing Martin that my stash was insignificant ...yeh...I have a stick or two and I definitely have WAS...I am a wood tragic it must be said. :oops:

Its not huge, mind! There are no Antinovs delivering tonewood around here :D

John

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:06 am

woodrat wrote:Jeremy, it was a lame attempt at convincing Martin that my stash was insignificant ...yeh...I have a stick or two and I definitely have WAS...I am a wood tragic it must be said. :oops:

Its not huge, mind! There are no Antinovs delivering tonewood around here :D

John
Does anybody know of a treatment programme for WAS? I've got to get myself onto one. Took me ages to build a unit to store all my stash properly instead of just sitting on a bench. No sooner had I screwed it to the wall & it was full up yet I'm still hitting that "Add to Cart" button when I see a nice bit of tonewood, looks like I'm going to loose that bench space again. :oops: :twisted:
"Jesus Loves You."

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 am

Nick, do what Martin just did. Go buy a bunch of clamps and get them to toss a shed in for your troubles.

Kerplunk
Beefwood

Post by Kerplunk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:39 am

Lillian wrote:Nick, do what Martin just did. Go buy a bunch of clamps and get them to toss a shed in for your troubles.
'Wish I could have been there to see him try to explain that one to the 'missus!!

On the other hand, he seems to have survived the ordeal, so he obviously knows something the rest of us could well benefit from....

.... come on Martin, spill the beans! What's your angle on how to deal with these kind of situations?! :) :)

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Nick said...Does anybody know of a treatment programme for WAS? I've got to get myself onto one.

...No Nick...there is no cure...which is a good thing!

...I like someones signature on the forum...something like "life is good when your among the wood"...

...anyway got to run I have some blackwood to saw up :D

John

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Kerplunk wrote:
'Wish I could have been there to see him try to explain that one to the 'missus!!

On the other hand, he seems to have survived the ordeal, so he obviously knows something the rest of us could well benefit from....

.... come on Martin, spill the beans! What's your angle on how to deal with these kind of situations?! :) :)
No explaining required....the boss has been harping on at me to put in a shed for the tonnes of wood we get through each winter. It'll also allow me to get some of the larger garden machinery out of the garage........and replace it with large woodworking machinery. :mrgreen:
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Martin has a Degree in Reverse Psychology! :cl

Kerplunk
Beefwood

Post by Kerplunk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 pm

kiwigeo wrote: No explaining required....the boss has been harping on at me to put in a shed for the tonnes of wood we get through each winter. It'll also allow me to get some of the larger garden machinery out of the garage........and replace it with large woodworking machinery. :mrgreen:
Sheer brilliance!!!! :cl :cl :cl

It's this kind of information that should be front & centre in the various luthiery texts out there...

... not to mention the multitude of 'relationship' manuals out there too; am guessing if more practical stuff like this were mentioned in those kinds of books, guys might actually read them!

... now,.... to put it to work! 8) 8)