baritone accoustic build?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

xray
Blackwood

baritone accoustic build?

Post by xray » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 pm

hey folks, i have a mate who wants to build and tune an accoustic guitar to a baritone guitar and put 60gauge strings on. Has anyone heard of this kind of accoustic before or is he confused?????? I asked if he meant a jumboandhis reply was it is similar to a bass guitar. i then asked about the difference with an accoustic bass and he said compketely different. What timber should i use for deeper sounds and am i right in saying that the less ressonant back and sides the deeper the sound?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: baritone accoustic build?

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Pat Methany plays one on his CD "One Quiet Night"....saw him playing one here in Adelaide a few years ago. At first I thought his guitar was out of tune but its just the different tuning and resonances that the ear takes a bit of time to get used to.

Methany owns three baritones all made by Linda Manzer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Heres Mine

youtu.be/

Gotta re-record it when Jarred is available, the audio level is a bit high and is distorting on the loud sections
It's a 27.5" scale Indian Rosewood Back and sides sitka top ngr neck
The body is sort of a modified 12 fret martin dread size with a few more curves.
He has it tuned to drop A for this song

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Nice Jeff, just had to slip the earphones a bit back off my ears to smooth out those peaks and when he slowed down I could hear the guitar well, top job.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

xray
Blackwood

Post by xray » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 pm

cheers kiwi, some very helpful info there. i think it will be my next attempt after my new guitar for myself. it will be a commisioned job for a talented friend who is in no rush to get it made. What a big scale length. 30 inches, it sounds cool though and thanks jeff for the clip it makes it easier to understand it when you can see the scale length and string thickness. I have a feeling that accoustic sized bass measurements for the neck and soundboard will be the order of the day

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm