Weld On 16 ..... alternatives?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Weld On 16 ..... alternatives?

Post by Crafty Fox » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:08 pm

I had part of a tube of Weld On 16 in the fridge since my last LP build, about 4 months ago; went to glue the plastic fingerboard bindings on this arvo (new LP project) but the glue's turned to gel. Not easy to get this stuff in Perth. The last time I tried Mulford Plastics but they want a minimum of $60 order, I then got a tube from one of their customer's for $10 under the counter, but when I went to use it I saw it had already been opened. That's the one in the fridge.
Anyway, does anyone know of a similar product, readily available in WA? I'm happy to use Weld On, it's easy to work with and it's reliable but like I said, hard to find.
Ken

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Weld On 16 ..... alternatives?

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:20 pm

G'day and welcome to the forum Mr Fox, your parents must have a sense of humour to have called you Crafty. There is a thread somewhere (try the search) that describes how some of the guys use acetone to do the job as weldon is apparently acetone in goo.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:23 pm

First off, welcome to the forum. We like it if you add your signature to your posts so we can address you. You can set that up in the "User Control Panel" link found in the upper right hand of the forum window.

We had a discussion about this very thing recently and one recommendation was to either use straight acetone brushed on to the bindings. It melts them pretty quick so you need to plan on what you are doing. Or take some of the binding material you are using and melt it in some acetone to make a glue / goop. I just used this method on some black bindings and it worked a treat.

There is also using CA but you might like to rough up the gluing surface a little with some sandpaper first. I've done some like this as well and haven't had any problems. If you go with CA be aware that it can run up the end grain of some woods and stain. And you can't get rid of it. Good practice to seal the binding channel with shellac or lacquer prior to using CA.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 am

Welcome to the forum Crafty, as Allen said by all means keep your username but maybe just christian name to keep it all with that "family" feel we like to have here :wink:
Most modern bindings will glue using an acrylic glue (usually used for gluing 'perspex') as this has the same action as Weldon 16 by melting the surface of the plastic so that it 'keys' into the pores of the wood. Should be available from any plastics supplier (maybe there's more than just Mulfords over your way?) or perhaps even a ferret around Bunnies may turn up with something?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 am

Thankyou gentlemen, for the welcome and advice. I believe I've now included my signature.
Jim, my parents actually christened me "Fantastic" after my father, Fantastic Mr Fox. However, as it's a hard name to live up to, especially in the "Nano-Shed" (my workshop is so small it's best described on the molecular level), so most folk call me Ken.
I'll be working near a model shop this week so I'll see what they have to offer. We used Airfix glue to build models when I was a kid in Scotland and I think it had the same smell as Weld On (acetone?), so I'm hopeful they'll have some alternative.
Cheers, Ken
Ken

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:24 am

Hey Ken - sounds like chemicals ain't exactly strangers with your kith and kin so acetone shouldn't be a problem :D
Welcome

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:49 am

:D That would be a difficult one to live up to Ken and it seems we share the same taste in sheds. I would be guessing the same as you on the Airfix glue, same smell and both made to melt plastic.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 am

Thought I'd provide an update on my plastic bindings adventure........
I got a tube of Pacific Balsa C23 glue ($4.25) from Stanbridges model shop in Perth the other day and it seems to be working OK. I glued most of the binding on the Les Paul from the top of the neck round to the horn then I heated and bent the binding to the desired shape before gluing the final piece in place. I made some goo with acetone + scraps of binding to weld the join and fill a few small gaps. It's come up pretty good. I think I prefer the Weld On 16 simply because it sets quicker but the C23 does the job.
Happy Easter everyone!
Ken