Im beng spammed by a tonewood supplier

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Im beng spammed by a tonewood supplier

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I have received repeated unsolicited emails (see below) from an Indian tonewood business. The name of the business is Laxmi Enterprises and its owner is a character by the name of Kiran Revar. This person was booted off this forum for spamming and continuing to do so despite several warnings from moderators/admins.

Cheers Martin

===========================

I've been using Google Talk and thought you might like to try it out.
We can use it to call each other for free over the internet. Here's an
invitation to download Google Talk. Give it a try!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

kiran revar wants to stay in better touch using some of Google's coolest new
products.

If you already have Gmail or Google Talk, visit:
http://mail.google.com/mail/b-f15f4dec3 ... kVAXUiHPfU
You'll need to click this link to be able to chat with kiran revar.

To get Gmail - a free email account from Google with over 2,800 megabytes of
storage - and chat with kiran revar, visit:
http://mail.google.com/mail/a-f15f4dec3 ... kVAXUiHPfU

Gmail offers:
- Instant messaging right inside Gmail
- Powerful spam protection
- Built-in search for finding your messages and a helpful way of organizing
emails into "conversations"
- No pop-up ads or untargeted banners - just text ads and related information
that are relevant to the content of your messages

All this, and its yours for free. But wait, there's more! By opening a Gmail
account, you also get access to Google Talk, Google's instant messaging
service:

http://www.google.com/talk/

Google Talk offers:
- Web-based chat that you can use anywhere, without a download
- A contact list that's synchronized with your Gmail account
- Free, high quality PC-to-PC voice calls when you download the Google Talk
client

We're working hard to add new features and make improvements, so we might also
ask for your comments and suggestions periodically. We appreciate your help in
making our products even better!

Thanks,
The Google Team

To learn more about Gmail and Google Talk, visit:
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about.html
http://www.google.com/talk/about.html

(If clicking the URLs in this message does not work, copy and paste them into
the address bar of your browser).
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Im beng spammed by a tonewood supplier

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Dunno why anyone would be trying to sell YOU tonewood Martin.
It's not as though you have a history of buying large amounts.........
All I get is the occasional supposed Russian woman who really digs my profile.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:47 pm

LOL...
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 pm

jeffhigh wrote:All I get is the occasional supposed Russian woman who really digs my profile.
Hands off Jeff :twisted: , she's promised me I'm the only man for her! :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Nick wrote:
jeffhigh wrote:All I get is the occasional supposed Russian woman who really digs my profile.
Hands off Jeff :twisted: , she's promised me I'm the only man for her! :wink:
Im sure she could handle both of you!
Martin

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 pm

:oops: :( :cry: Does Aeroflot do refunds?

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 pm

DarwinStrings wrote::oops: :( :cry: Does Aeroflot do refunds?

Jim
Not sure about refunds but I believe when you fly Aeroflot the cost of a decent funeral is factored into the ticket price.
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 pm

*** comment removed due to possible inaccuracy ***

see post below for clarification

apologies
Last edited by J.F. Custom on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:40 am

J.F. Custom wrote:Interestingly, Mr Ashok Parekh of Parekh Exports had a warning about this man and his business on his website a little while ago.

Looking again now though, I can no longer find the comment.

Jeremy.
Boy I find that a bit rich Jeremy, not because I don't believe 'you', but because I have seen a number of warning on the internet myself about Mr Ashok Parekh. To me at least its all a bit like the pot calling the kettle a stove bitch. I will add that according to Bob C of RC Tonewood fame, based upon his direct dealings with Mr Parekh, it only appears on the surface that he has some sort of ownership connection to a saw mill in India. At least that is how the language makes it appear when dealing with him...but he is only a middle man and the wood he supplies to his customers could come from any number of mills depending entirely upon when you order, and who is selling to him at that point in time....

I guess that is why some now rave about Ashok in that other thread whilst those who where unfortunate enough to get caught up in the ANZLF fretboard group buy debacle of a few years back, in which Mr Parekh had direct involvement, know full well that buying direct from the subcontinent does not always go as planned.....The game musical chairs comes to mind, and whilst I hate to generalise, it must leave one to wonder at the aversion to paypal?? If it is all on the up and up, what is the problem and why do these blokes feel the need to spam people????

Cheers

Kim

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 am

This looks more like spam from Google? I recall not long ago that when I checked my Gmail account, I was getting prompted to join some sort of networking function - it may have been the same one as the one that you've been invited to Martin.
If it's anything like Skype, when I used my Outlook contacts to populate the Skype address book, it sent an email to everyone in my address book, even though I thought that I had opted out of doing so.
This case may/may not be as innocent, but still as annoying.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 am

Steve wrote:This looks more like spam from Google? I recall not long ago that when I checked my Gmail account, I was getting prompted to join some sort of networking function - it may have been the same one as the one that you've been invited to Martin.
If it's anything like Skype, when I used my Outlook contacts to populate the Skype address book, it sent an email to everyone in my address book, even though I thought that I had opted out of doing so.
This case may/may not be as innocent, but still as annoying.
Yes it may be sourced from Google but it's got Kiran Revars email address in the reply to field in the header (it hasnt been munged) and Ive sent emails to his address asking him to deal with it. Rivar wants to chat with me and probablly other people whos email addresses hes harvested so he can plug his business....this is just another example underhand way that some of these wood dealers engage in their dodgey business.
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am

I have ordered from Ashok twice and it has been a good experience so far. He sometimes sees me online on SKYPE and sends me a text message through the IM system in SKYPE asking me if I have any need for rosewood or ebony. Thats OK by me buy I wouldnt want it every week. He is very polite so I cant complain. I didnt know that he was a middleman only though. The only thing that I can complain about is that the sawing is pretty atrocious although the wood is generally very good. I think that Ashok is OK and knows that he wont get repeat business if he spams his customers.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 am

Cripes Kim, you really have it in for this fellow Parekh, but you give bugger all evidence to back up your major attitude.
Kim wrote:Boy I find that a bit rich Jeremy, not because I don't believe 'you', but because I have seen a number of warning on the internet myself about Mr Ashok Parekh.

Can you point to one?
Kim wrote:... according to Bob C of RC Tonewood fame, based upon his direct dealings with Mr Parekh, it only appears on the surface that he has some sort of ownership connection to a saw mill in India. At least that is how the language makes it appear when dealing with him...but he is only a middle man and the wood he supplies to his customers could come from any number of mills depending entirely upon when you order, and who is selling to him at that point in time....

Of course he's a middle man -- so is Bob C -- in as much as he's not running the mill or managing the stands from which his wood is sourced. What "language" have you seen that would suggest otherwise? Certainly nothing on his website.
Kim wrote:I guess that is why some now rave about Ashok in that other thread whilst those who where unfortunate enough to get caught up in the ANZLF fretboard group buy debacle of a few years back, in which Mr Parekh had direct involvement
You mentioned the "group buy debacle" before in "that other thread", but I can't find anything with the search of either ANZLF or OLF about the debacle, or Parekh's alleged "direct involvment", so let's have a link please.
Kim wrote: whilst I hate to generalise, it must leave one to wonder at the aversion to paypal??
He doesn't take credit cards either. It's time you gave the Paypal endorsements a rest -- it's not as if legitimate business doesn't occur around the globe without them (and has done for years). You're free to buy from whomever you want, but it's "a bit rich" to slander someone based on his choice of what payment options he's offering. Personally, I don't want to deal with Paypal and have no issues with bank transfers, and my money is as good as yours.

Based on MY direct dealings with Mr. Parekh, he is a polite businessman who wants to promote his offerings and deliver on his promises. Yes, his manner and style may seem a little strange to non-Asian ears, but not at all unusual when compared to the way businesses operate in many parts of the world. I'm happy to deal with him and will continue to do so. I'm a little tired of Kim's repeated bashing the poor guy at every opportunity -- while offering NO documented evidence for his claims -- only hearsay and conjecture.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Ummm... Sorry, but I did not mention Ashok to invoke another thread regarding his business. My comment was purely based in relation to Martins OP. Looking into my comment further though, I have decided to remove it from my post. This is because I can no longer find any mention of such a warning against Laxmi - and in a recent email from Ashok, he warns against another company; one "Golden Woods and Guitar Wooden Part Co." as part of his "signature" at the bottom of the email. As such, it is possible I had my wires crossed and therefore remove my original comments unreservedly.

I will make one comment though, hopefully without hijacking the OP too far.

I have personally not ordered through Ashok though I have investigated the option, so I do not have personal experience. There are certainly those whom have had good experience dealing with him and those with apparently not so good. In Ashoks' defense, I doubt he is the only timber dealer to have had both happy and unhappy customers through all their dealings.

My question remains though - Why are his offerings so attractive to everyone?

Last I checked - very recently; Ashok was offering his best grade at US $110 per set. Granted, this included free delivery. However, even end user suppliers such as Allied Lutherie are offering their best grade at $90 per set.

With a $20 saving per set and Ashoks 3 set minimum order, you have $60 to go toward p&h from Allied. Buy more and your savings grow - not including the fact that they offer further quantity discounts once you hit six sets.

So given that we are likely to order from a business such as Allied for other material (eg Truss Rods) they have available as well, and given the difficulty (possibly with attached bank charges depending on your financial institute) of ordering/paying from Parekh Exports -

Why has he come to such sudden fame and popularity with luthiers everywhere? What am I missing? Is freight through Allied really that much more or Ashoks' quality that much better?? I can't imagine so, but accept I could be wrong.

I can't help but feel we are in fact somewhat responsible for the popularity through these threads and perhaps many therefore "assume" he is offering great deals and jump on board without investigating other options or alternatives?

Jeremy.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Jeremy, I passed on his IRW because I thought that it was too expensive but I have bought IRW and Ebony bridges, fingerboards and headplate veneers from him. The quality was good, his ebony was nice and black.
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm

For those interested I have taken my response to Tim Mullins questions to the original thread dealing with Ashok Parekh.

You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2192&start=50

Cheers

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jeremy you funny fart ""The neighbour knocked on my door at 2:30am this morning, can you believe that 2:30am?! Lucky for him I was still up playing the bagpipes."

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I have received repeated unsolicited emails [...]

invitation to download Google Talk. Give it a try!.
I'm sure you know this already, but if you receive this from someone, even many times, usually the person it is "from" is completely unaware that their Google account is sending invitations to everyone on their email list.

Just saying.

Hi everyone.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 pm

matthew wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:I have received repeated unsolicited emails [...]

invitation to download Google Talk. Give it a try!.
I'm sure you know this already, but if you receive this from someone, even many times, usually the person it is "from" is completely unaware that their Google account is sending invitations to everyone on their email list.

Just saying.

Hi everyone.
If this is the case then it would seem that Kiran Revar and Google are both peas in the same pod....both &&&&8****ng spammers.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 pm

matthew wrote:whatever :roll:
Kiran revar is well aware that emails are being sent out by Google on his behalf because Ive told him via several emails.

Anyway dont let it concern you mate....my problem and it'll get fixed. :) Best you focus on that snazzy new bass build.....looking forward to seeing same in finished form.
Martin

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:44 pm

There is also the sleazy alternative...where you tell him you have got enough wood...and send him pictures of the wood which you have...What?

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Bout time I found something to do with all those photos 8)

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 pm

When he 'cheekily' asks you who was the photographer you say your wife/ girlfriend (manly grumbling)

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:40 am

May need a wide angle lens on the camera!!
Taff