Member Intro and a couple of questions.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Member Intro and a couple of questions.

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi guys,

Been browsing a while and though I would join. I am from the gold coast and loving the idea of building a guitar (or more) from scratch.

I am preparing for my first build and would love some advice. I have been researching like crazy and I have ordered Cumpiano's book and gathering some tools together ATM. I have a couple of small questions, I don't want to trouble you guys with a heap of newbie questions that are possibly answered in the book so I will try and keep it brief.

1. I have been checkout out RC Tonewoods site. Do you guys have any trouble from customs bringing in wood. I am thinking Englemann spruce with rosewood back and sides for my first build.

2. I would like to build and 000 or OM guitar with a slotted headstock. Am i asking for trouble? Is it much more difficult than a traditional OM style headstock?

3. I have a chance to grab a disk/belt sander cheap. Is this a must have tool for my first build?

Thanks so much guys.
Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Member Intro and a couple of questions.

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi BBK (do you have a first name? we like to be a friendly bunch around here, just add it as a signature maybe?) & welcome to the forum. The search function at the top of each page is always a useful place to start as well as asking questions. Remember there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers! We all start somewhere & most here are only to glad to assist another newbie wanting to join the madness & addiction that is building guitars.
In answer to your questions, the first one is a little difficult for me to answer as I live in NZ but I believe that as long as your purchase comes in under $1000 AUD it won't attract to much attention from anybody at the border. Bob at RC is a good guy to deal with, you may also wish to check out our own Tim Spittle at http://australiantonewoods.com/, excellent guy to deal with & in your own country! saves any possible hassles with officialdom at the border.
2.- UnSlotted would be easier in the respect that you only have to drill holes but if you have reasonable wood working skills and are methodical rather than rip,shit & bust then a slotted headstock should be perfectly fine, that's the beauty of building your own! You can incorporate whatever design feature you wan't as long as your skills match it. A OOO is one of my favourite sizes by the way so good choice :)
3. - If you have the chance to get a good one cheap then grab it! Whilst it's not essential for a first or second build for that matter, it is always a useful tool to own & you will decide to get one eventually if you continue on building :wink: so grab one now if it's cheap. Make sure it's a good one though otherwise you will find yourself spending money again further down the track replacing it. Belts are relatively cheap so get two or three different grit belts as well (80, 120 & 240?) I find the belt sander to be the most used tool in my shop, I don't think there is any part of the guitar that doesn't get at least a 'tickle up' on the sander at some stage, apart from maybe the tuners! :shock:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Nick wrote:Hi BBK (do you have a first name? we like to be a friendly bunch around here, just add it as a signature maybe?) & welcome to the forum. The search function at the top of each page is always a useful place to start as well as asking questions. Remember there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers! We all start somewhere & most here are only to glad to assist another newbie wanting to join the madness & addiction that is building guitars.
In answer to your questions, the first one is a little difficult for me to answer as I live in NZ but I believe that as long as your purchase comes in under $1000 AUD it won't attract to much attention from anybody at the border. Bob at RC is a good guy to deal with, you may also wish to check out our own Tim Spittle at http://australiantonewoods.com/, excellent guy to deal with & in your own country! saves any possible hassles with officialdom at the border.
2.- UnSlotted would be easier in the respect that you only have to drill holes but if you have reasonable wood working skills and are methodical rather than rip,shit & bust then a slotted headstock should be perfectly fine, that's the beauty of building your own! You can incorporate whatever design feature you wan't as long as your skills match it. A OOO is one of my favourite sizes by the way so good choice :)
3. - If you have the chance to get a good one cheap then grab it! Whilst it's not essential for a first or second build for that matter, it is always a useful tool to own & you will decide to get one eventually if you continue on building :wink: so grab one now if it's cheap. Make sure it's a good one though otherwise you will find yourself spending money again further down the track replacing it. Belts are relatively cheap so get two or three different grit belts as well (80, 120 & 240?) I find the belt sander to be the most used tool in my shop, I don't think there is any part of the guitar that doesn't get at least a 'tickle up' on the sander at some stage, apart from maybe the tuners! :shock:
Nice to meet you Nick, Thanks for that great info and sorry for my rudeness. My name is Jeremy.

Cheers and thanks again!
Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Gday Jeremy, welcome to the ANZLF 8)

Nick covered the bases very well so I will leave it as just a simple welcome.

Cheers

Kim

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Jeremy - welcome to the cuckoos nest :mrgreen:
The search function - top right of the screen next to FAQ is excellent. Something like "Questions from a newbie" will reap rewards. There was a deal of input into what members thought were "essential through to nice to have" not long ago. Treat it like your in-house Google. Odds are someone had a question similiar to yours some time in the past.
Then there's the real thing Mother Google. Learning to search is a great time saver. Most who have made a name for themselves are very gracious in sharing their knowledge on forums and otherwise.
On here in the Plans Dept there's stuff like http://liutaiomottola.com/ and if you go through that thoroughly, the stuff in the sidebars as well, you will have a resource you may go back to very often.
The general knowledge is out there for the Googling and the local angle is here.
Bonaventure.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Puff and Kim,

Thanks for the welcomes. Puff I will look for the thread you mention, sounds just the ticket. I know this is going to be a long journey but I cant even imagine what it is like to string up your own guitar for the first time. What percentage of people that build a guitar build more than one you think? It seems like this could be very addictive.

Jeremy
Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:23 pm

BBk wrote: It seems like this could be very addictive.

Jeremy
:lmao :lmao :lmao You don't know just HOW addictive it can be yet Jeremy, it's worse than crack cocaine I tell ya! :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forum Jeremy. If you go to the "User Control Panel" link at the top right corner of the screen you can add a signature to your posts that will auto update any time you want to change it.

Don't forget to check your local library. Most carry a good selection of guitar making books and you can see if one is worth adding to your personal stash without actually having to lay down $$$ that would be better spent on tools or wood.

Don't worry about dumb questions, or too many. Each and every one of us was in the same boat at one time or another. There are a lot of lurkers out there that are just too afraid to ask and if you break the ice it would be a big help to all of them. It also stimulates discussion here as to why we do the things we do.

As long as wood is dry and clean you won't have any troubles getting it into the country. That is if it's under the $1,000 AUD threshold. If it goes over than then the Gov. want's their pound of flesh.

I'll also second that you give Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods a call or email about wood for your first. He's one of the local "Drug" dealers that likes to feed our habit. :lol: And if you decide that you want to go to RC Tonewoods then you won't have a problem dealing with Bob or Pete. Both are very capable and honest blokes that do a lot of business with members here.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks guys, you really are passionate. Great tip about the library too, just had a look and they have quite a few. Once I start getting closer to starting and get some materials I will post some pickies and keep you up to date. BTW are they any regulars to this forum around the Gold Coast/Brisbane area?
Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:52 am

Welcome to the madness Jeremy. I can only echo the other comments. Uncle Bob, RC Tonewoods, is great to deal with, and but so is Tim Spittle. I have dealt with both of them over the years and I will continue to redirect their wares to my shop. Since this is your first, save a few coins and buy local. If you need a replacement, Tim will be able to help you quicker than Bob will be able to get a packaged through customs. Besides, if you go for a second one, you'll be spending plenty with international freight. Stew Mac may just become your best buddy.

While you are shopping with Tim, ask him to add a couple of practice sides in your order. Indian Rosewood is a good first guitar choice. Its an easy wood to bend. Mahogany can be fickle. I've had pieces bend like butter and others I struggled with. Bending can be a bit intimidating the first go round. Practice always helps. Oh, don't toss a side if you crack it. It should be repairable unless you stomped it in frustration. Repairs go hand in hand with building.

Have a look around in the tutorial section and see what you can make yourself before you decide to buy whatever tool or jig you think you need to buy. I promised you, all those little purchases add up quickly. You'd be amazed at what you can make do with or simply make yourself. *Cue Craig's thickness guage*

Second hand shops, flee markets and garage sales are a good source for old steel tools. Kim did a wonderful write up on bringing an old tool back to life and serviceability. I can't remember if we lost it in the hack or not. I'll have a look around for it.

While you are contemplating your first build, spend some time in the Tutorial and the Jigs and Fixture sections. There is a metric tonne of info there. Robbie O'Brien's videos are a gold mine of info.

Anyways, welcome.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:36 am

Welcome, Jeremy

What everyone else said. Addictive? :| My goal, when I started was three guitars: One for me and one each for my sons. So far I've completed 11 acoustics, 1 electric, and 1 banjo. I am currently bending sides for numbers 13, 14, and 15. One is an OM (custom order) and two are parlors for my granddaughters. I've never broken a side in the bender but it still makes me edgy. Today I bent my first Braz. Rosewood and it was pretty scary, but I didn't hear any cracking. (it'll stay in the bender overnight).

Ron

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks Ron.

Geez 15 guitars, how to you still find time to play while building all these instruments!
Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post an update. I am starting gather some tools and I am almost ready to order the timber. Man there is a lot to think about.

I am looking at getting these plans printed to work from http://ultimate-guitar-building.com/000 ... tar-plans/. It looks like they are in metric so that will be a bonus.

I picked up this plane at the markets today. It has bailey on the body and the parts seem to be stamped with stanley. Do you think this will be worthwhile to clean up and sharpen for jointing the top and bottom?

EDIT: P.S. it is a No 6. Plane
Last edited by Jeremy D on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy D

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 am

Young man guitars do not generally have bottoms- please keep your mind on your work :mrgreen:
The plane is well worth tweeking mate :D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:27 am

In a word, YES! Very much worth the effort. That's a great era for Stanley. It's a good length for thicknessing your plates and for shooting joints.

Its a bit long for doing the headstock joint, but a low angle block plane is perfect for the headstock and a ton of other tasks.

Top and back plates.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 am

Haha woops. It is early sunday :D
Jeremy D

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 am

Looks like your cat could do with a bit of TLC too Lill :mrgreen:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:29 am

Allen wrote:
I'll also second that you give Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods a call or email about wood for your first. He's one of the local "Drug" dealers that likes to feed our habit. :lol:
If Tim doesn't have it it's because he did have it.......but now I've got it :mrgreen:

Re the plane.....how does the sole look?

Welcome to the forum Jeremy.
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 am

Puff wrote:Looks like your cat could do with a bit of TLC too Lill :mrgreen:
It's been one of those months and its only a week into it. Thought it was appropriate.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:36 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Allen wrote:
I'll also second that you give Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods a call or email about wood for your first. He's one of the local "Drug" dealers that likes to feed our habit. :lol:
If Tim doesn't have it it's because he did have it.......but now I've got it :mrgreen:

Re the plane.....how does the sole look?

Welcome to the forum Jeremy.
Thanks kiwigeo.

I tried to take a photo but it didn't turn out too good. It looks pretty smooth with a couple of scratches. no deep gouges that I can see.

Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 am

Hey %$#@ !!! Isn't there some sort of forum rules about members with the same name?? Like, sorry but you'll have to find another?? :evil:

This is going to get very confusing... :roll:

Welcome Jeremy. :mrgreen:

Addictive? You don't know what you've started.

Good luck 8)

Jeremy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:00 am

J.F. Custom wrote:Hey %$#@ !!! Isn't there some sort of forum rules about members with the same name?? Like, sorry but you'll have to find another?? :evil:

This is going to get very confusing... :roll:
Ok the moderators have discussed this and we've decided to change your name to JeremQy......the "Q" is silent so it will still sound the same.
Martin

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 am

Jeremy in Gold Coast lingo already sounds different to the Victorian accent :oops: Probably dress different too. Should be able to tell them apart :mrgreen:
BTW is Bbk anything to do with barbies? On which note it is lunchtime :D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 am

Puff wrote:
BTW is Bbk anything to do with barbies? On which note it is lunchtime :D
Segg and the Steinies...YUM!
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 am

The No6 is a perfect pickup Jeremy. Buy some wet and dry 180 grit thru 600, a few spray cans of degreaser from super cheap autos (they have a 6 cans for $8 special running at the moment and it is perfect as a honing lube) find yourself a good size bit of 10mm glass (6mm will do but 10mm is the go but you can just use the flat surface of a table saw) grab a can of spray contact adhesive, glue the abrasive to the glass and get to work tuning that sucker up.

Remember before you begin to level the sole to have the plane in one piece all set up as you would use it with only the blade retracted a little so it does not make contact with the abrasive. To clean the worn abrasive from the glass, just pull it off and wipe clean with a rag charged with Shellite (naptha) which you can find at Bunnings next to the turps in the paint section.

Cheers

Kim