Member Intro and a couple of questions.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: Member Intro and a couple of questions.

Post by Jeremy D » Sat May 21, 2011 4:02 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Leave the blank at 25mm and work to final thickness when you shape the neck.
Legend thank you. :)
Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun May 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Scarf joint done!

Man this is a massive learning curve. I am basically learning everything as I go. Managed to sharpen my block plan with scary sharp as suggested and test on a scrap piece before attacking the neck, first time planning ever!. Ended up with about 23 degree angle and a 30 degree secondary bevel. Seemed to work quite well. Thank you to all who have posted tips so far. I am now getting excited (*could be the wine).

Cheers.

EDIT. P.S. I was going to order some titebond glue this week to get started gluing it up. Any suggestions for a white glue to use for areas that could potentially need to be redone down the track (fretboard, neck joint etc)?
Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 pm

BBk wrote:
EDIT. P.S. I was going to order some titebond glue this week to get started gluing it up. Any suggestions for a white glue to use for areas that could potentially need to be redone down the track (fretboard, neck joint etc)?
Unless you want to use hot hide glue then Titebond I is fine for all your joints. If this is your first build then I'd just keep it simple and use Titebond all round.
Martin

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun May 22, 2011 9:56 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
BBk wrote:
Unless you want to use hot hide glue then Titebond I is fine for all your joints. If this is your first build then I'd just keep it simple and use Titebond all round.
Thanks Martin. I know this is schoolboy stuff for you guys, really appreciate the advice.
Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon May 23, 2011 3:53 am

Nicely done Jeremy.

Titebond will be fine, if you can be sure that it isn't old or was frozen somewhere along the line. Do a test with it first. If you coat two pieces and pull them apart it forms strings, its old. If it dries with a chalky residue, its been frozen.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 am

Nicely planed scarf there! Well done :cl Looks like you got the plane tuned up just right. I only ever use Titebond (yet to dip my toes into the sticky hide glue pool :shock: ) but make sure it's Titebond original & none of the iterations (II or III) as these are slightly different glues.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Mon May 23, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks everyone :D
Jeremy D

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Lovely scarf joint, mate.
Richard