Need some wood for ma neck!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

AidanHarris
Kauri

Need some wood for ma neck!

Post by AidanHarris » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm

G'day all.

It has been some time since I have seriously visited this site, so here I am.

So its gotten to that time of the year when I am finally used to working full time and being in the "real" world. So I will be making a guitar with my not so spare time (unless my latest ebay bid wins and then it will be a trumpet case, but a guitar will be made some time this year!) and have got some nice bits of walnut in the shed which I will be making into a guitar shaped object which hopefully will work like one when its finished.

I was just wondering if walnut would be a stable or suitable neck wood for an acoustic guitar?

When I get things sorted and start getting into this build more I will pester every one with more questions.

Have a good one

Aidan
The best wood is in the crotch

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Need some wood for ma neck!

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 am

Black walnut is a fine choice for a neck. Its a tad bit heavier than mahogany, but no where near a heavy as rock maple. You'll need to pore fill it before finishing. I'm referring to N. American black walnut. I've not dealt with Peruvian or English walnut.

If you aren't confident in your lumber, you can always laminate it for stability.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 am

If you are talking about Qld. Walnut, then yes it can be used for a neck. I've done a couple with it. Very heavy and very difficult to shape, but it works.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

AidanHarris
Kauri

Post by AidanHarris » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks for the replies, it has cleared it all up for me :)

Allen- It's not QLD walnut which I am glad about I have heard that it's a bastard on tool edges!

Lillian- I will probs be laminating anyway just because of timber cost at the moment i dont have enough for the neck and will get it out of thinner boards.

can you give me a bit more info on the pore filling please, whats the best or most popluar method? I know thats like asking poeple who the best band in the world is so who whats the beatles of the pore filling world

Note: Im not saying the beetles were the best band but they did alot for music :P

Aidan
The best wood is in the crotch

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Here's a video I did recently. Might be of help to you.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2872
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 am

I prefer egg whites because of health concerns/issues. The problem with egg whites is that they take a bit of an effort and require more time than paste filler. What I love about them is that they dry seriously hard, adhering to the wood and you don't have to worry about possible finish incompatibility issues.

There are a couple of threads here that talk about using egg whites. I'll dig through my black hole of websites links and see if I can find a few that come to mind.