Bob - can you explain your neck join system?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Bob - can you explain your neck join system?

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Back in November there was a thread about neck bolting systems. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2604&hilit=neck+bolt

Bob, you posted a picture of the system that you are using with a butt joint of the heel to the body, but a fingerboard extension that sits in a routed slot in the body. It looks like a great system. Would you mind sharing a bit more about how it works? Your photo clearly shows the arangement for the end of the neck. But what is going on inside the body? I presume that there is some sort of extension of the heel block, which is routed to accept the neck extension. What about the upper transverse brace? Would you be kind enough to show the guts - or is there a patent pending?

cheers
Mark

Kim
Admin

Re: Bob - can you explain your neck join system?

Post by Kim » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey Mark,

You forgot the most important part mate... 8)

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 am

No great secrets here Mark.

A picture's worth a thousand words.

After I've glued the neck block together I put a couple of dowels in. Itbutts up against the upper transverse brace.
IMG_0093.JPG
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks Bob. That picture explains it well. I'll give it a go with the one I am starting now. But don't hold your breath - I build slow.
You are right Kim, that double bolt looks like you could tow a boat with it. A very tidy system.
Mark

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 am

Bob
I am getting on with this build now. The neck block and extension is sorted out. Now I am interested in the lattice bracing that you show in that photo.
How has that worked out on the instruments that you have tried it on? I am building a L-00 size guitar - do you think it is suitable to a smaller body? Do those small braces overlap the bridge plate?
Thanks for sharing - I will post some of my version as I go along.

Mark

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:28 am

G'day Mark

I'm using this bracing on all my instruments now including the Weissenborns so I'm pretty happy with it.

Please note that the oversized bridge plate is a part of this system and the braces do overlap the bridge plate.

Dimensions are 5mm x 3mm and I do cap each joint.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 pm

OK Captain. I'll give it a go.
I presume that they are butting the X-brace? And you notch the underside to sit them on the bridgeplate?

Is this your own invention or does it have a history elsewhere?

cheers

Mark

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 pm

No it's not my idea Mark. I first saw it in Ervin Somogyi's bracing and it made sense to me, particularly with what is going on in the lower bout of the guitar.

The wide bridge plate is to prevent the bridge from bellying up the lower bout too much. The lattice bracing spreads the stiffness over the lower bout quite evenly and there is less wood involved if I were using the traditional two diagonal braces 'a la Martin'.

So I feel that I can safely lighten things up using this system without compromising structural integrity.

Sure there is a little more mass with the larger bridge plate but I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing as long as there is plenty of flex around the perimeter. (monopole movement)

I will say that I have only used this system on 000 sized instruments and smaller ( purely because tI rarely build anything larger)

It also works on Weissenborns and I have used the lattice bracing to replace the finger braces on these guitars as well.

Good luck with it. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Regards
Bob, Geelong