what do you lot make of this.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

liam_fnq
Blackwood

what do you lot make of this.

Post by liam_fnq » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Scroll down to International Shipping.

http://www.allenguitar.com/shipping.htm

Does this apply to Stew Mac etc.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: what do you lot make of this.

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Yep, Randy Allen used to supply me with slotted fingerboards and has been doing so for around 15 years. No more, and I am disappointed because he has always been good value and good service. I have just been corresponding with him after trying to order some guitar fingerboard blanks because I believe what he has said is not correct as far as wood is concerned. It is certainly correct for shell, but wood should be ok so long as the value is below $2500 USD. All the other USA wood suppliers are still shipping wood as far as I know. I have just purchased some Spruce from John Preston and he imports wood from Europe so he would know the rules. However, Randy is worried about the risks and considered it was an unacceptable risk to his business so stopped international shipments. His call, but he does hate to have to do it and it is a significant hit to his business. He has my sympathy, this Lacey act stuff is a nightmare. Far more legal importing and exporting is being stopped than illegal.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 am

Could be fedex is the problem here. I got an number of shipments from from the US via fedex and at this end (Germany) I always get hit with extra taxes because fedex refuses to read the shipping documentation. Specifically they ignore the fact that shipping is clearly listed on the invoice and then add about $100 "notional" shipping charge to the total on the invoice for the purposes of collecting sales tax which results in an additional $20 tax above what it should be. So maybe they are doing something strange on his end as well.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 pm

I didn't notice it with LMI, recently bought wood from them and all was as it has been for years. Have my fingers crossed that LMI doesn't change its wood policies.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Its the result of US Govt legislation..

log on to herehttp://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 01&t=31138read the thread...you'll get the idea of whats happening in the US of A.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:28 pm

I'd like to see them apply these rules to interstate trade which it is supposed to apply to as well.
Then see how long it would last.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Yes, things would get very interesting. The Lacey Acy does apply to interstate trade and I did read somewhere that USDA and US F&WL do intend to implement the same rules for interstate trade, but at the moment do not have the resources to do that so it is not being enforced for interstate trade. Personally I can hardly wait. A bit of their own medicine and maybe some of the powers that be might get the message on how badly this has been implemented.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com