HELP! need a reputable Sydney Luthier for wood/finish work

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

araT
Gidgee

HELP! need a reputable Sydney Luthier for wood/finish work

Post by araT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of un-butchering a 1974 Fender Strat & restoring it to it's former glory & need someone who will be able to patch up the Floyd Rose routs for the bridge & fingerboard/neck (no need to fix the top horn), anyone out there have any recommendations or want to take this on? The guys at Gilet's workshop I used to use really let me down on this one, had the guitar for months & didn't touch it, and now I need to get cracking at it fast.. It would need to be done by the beginning of April now as I'm leaving for Germany at the beginning of May & want to have this done for him before I go.

Anyone up to the job? or know anyone up to the job?

Thanks in advance!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: HELP! need a reputable Sydney Luthier for wood/finish wo

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:33 am

Welcome to the forum Tara
As I replied on the other forum, I am keen to take this on.
Please hang around here too, I am sure you have plenty to share

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 am

Would it not be simpler just to buy a new body. We are not talking about one of Fender's golden era instruments here and the body has been compromised from any hint of originality. It would be a lot of money and effort to restore it to anything like it looked originally, and why would you bother. Pardon the heresy, but Fenders of this vintage had little to recommend them other than the Fender decal.

cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

araT
Gidgee

Post by araT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am

jeffhigh wrote:Welcome to the forum Tara
As I replied on the other forum, I am keen to take this on.
Please hang around here too, I am sure you have plenty to share
Awesome, I've sent the your details to the owner Jeff, he should be in touch very soon, his name is Michael :D You're looking like our best bet by far!

I'll definitely be hanging around both forums! thanks :D
Graham McDonald wrote:Would it not be simpler just to buy a new body. We are not talking about one of Fender's golden era instruments here and the body has been compromised from any hint of originality. It would be a lot of money and effort to restore it to anything like it looked originally, and why would you bother. Pardon the heresy, but Fenders of this vintage had little to recommend them other than the Fender decal.

cheers
All we want to do is repair the floyd rose routing, it's not that big a job - and it's worth it for the owner, that's all that counts right? It's actually a very good example from the era, it's quite light & plays beautifully.. I know all about Fender's history, and I know it's a CBS, but it's still a wonderful piece of history. If it was good enough for Kevin Borich to record an album or two on (check out the cover of Celebration!) & tour with it's good enough for us.

Kevin modified the top horn himself, and we dig it that way, it's cool.

Jeff will most likely be getting the job, so no worries.