Custom ukulele commissioned...

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Custom ukulele commissioned...

Post by Insomnomaniac » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I have recently been presented with an opportunity to make a custom ukulele for a quite famous singer. This, needless to say, is an incredible opportunity!

A couple of quick questions...

Firstly, I want to do a quite detailed inlay on the back of the uke. I'm thinking of doing a marquetry overlay for the whole back. If I make the back thinner by the thickness of the veneer, that shouldn't have a big effect on the tone of the instrument, right?

Secondly, I'd like to give them the option of playing either fully accoustically or through an amp. I'm thinking a piezo type pickup under the bridge would be the best way to go. Has anyone got any advice or experience with them in that capacity?

Thanks in advance,
Ian.
Last edited by Insomnomaniac on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Carpenter turned Knifemaker, now tentatively trying Luthiery as yet another hobby on the list...

Allen
Blackwood

Re: A couple of questions...

Post by Allen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm not sure that I'd take the back down thinner simply because the marquetry is not going to be adding anything to the stiffness of the instrument. Or at least not near as much as it would be if it wasn't cut up into small pieces.

As for pickups, you could go with an under-saddle or the twin spot transducers by K&K. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get away with a passive system though.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Allen wrote:I'm not sure that I'd take the back down thinner simply because the marquetry is not going to be adding anything to the stiffness of the instrument. Or at least not near as much as it would be if it wasn't cut up into small pieces.
So you're basically saying I should be able to do a full overlay without thinning the back? Makes things easier! I guess that would make it a (tiny) bit stronger as well...
Allen wrote:As for pickups, you could go with an under-saddle or the twin spot transducers by K&K. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get away with a passive system though.
Hmmm... I really don't want to complicate things with an active system. They haven't mentioned the pickups, that was just my little idea. I might just let that idea slip away quietly...
Ian

Carpenter turned Knifemaker, now tentatively trying Luthiery as yet another hobby on the list...

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Just stick to what the customer specified Ian, it's nice to add these little extra's but the customer may not want a pickup system & why give yourself the extra work if it aint needed! Same goes for the marquetry,unless they've specified that's what they want then it might pay to check this would be ok with them first, before spending alot of your time doing it only to find the customer is not really going to like it (which would be counter productive as far as word of mouth advertising goes). I can understand though that because of the nature of the customer (being famous an' all......well done getting the job by the way :cl ), you want to make the Uke a special piece to act as a 'shop window' to display your work to others in the industry.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Nick wrote:Just stick to what the customer specified Ian, it's nice to add these little extra's but the customer may not want a pickup system & why give yourself the extra work if it aint needed! Same goes for the marquetry,unless they've specified that's what they want then it might pay to check this would be ok with them first, before spending alot of your time doing it only to find the customer is not really going to like it (which would be counter productive as far as word of mouth goes). I can understand though that because of the nature of the customer, you want to make the Uke a special piece to act as a 'shop window' to display your work to others in the industry.
Hmm an inlay in loud font MOP saying "For Great Ukes and Guitars contact Ian @ http://www.Insomnomaniac.com" may be just the ticket :wink:

Seriously.... I am with Nick, ask the customer. The last thing you want is for this dude to feel it is just too much and to leave it hidden away in a case.

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:31 pm

If they want to go for a pickup, then the MISI active system gets very high reviews from uke players. Google it and have a look.

But really, if they are any type of Muso, they will have their own preference for pickups etc. and it's no good trying to second guess what they would like, or what would work for their circumstances. Best bet is to have them specify everything about the instrument that they want, and stick to the build schedule. Just like they were any other customer.

Speaking of my own method. I talk or email a lot with the client to find out what they want in terms of their playing style, preferences for wood etc. Some are really into native timbers, others don't care. Some want bling..., most actually because they are buying a custom made instrument. I ask them if they have an instrument that they really like the feel of and if so, get them to give me the dimensions of the nut, string spacing, neck depth at nut and 9th or 10th fret (on a uke). The type of action that they like. String preference, etc. etc. I write it all out on a check list and send it back to the client to approve, then I print it out and have it stuck to my bulletin board as a reference durning the build.

That way you have a plan of action and theirs no room for error. It's one thing to build a spec instrument, and entirely another when it's a commission.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 pm

She (the customer) has pretty much left it open. I met her recently and was talking about making instruments and offered to make one for her. It'll be a gift - but as some have mentioned, it'll be a gift written off at least partly as advertising.

I more or less have free reign, as the uke it will be going up against is the one she has now, which is a cheap, off-the-shelf mass produced job. Doing better shouldn't be too hard, and I'm keen to make it stand out from the crowd in terms of appearance. She has a LOT of fans around the world who aren't averse to paying quite well for merchandise etc...
Ian

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Gift or not, I'd still be asking her what she likes or dislikes about the current instrument. There are some pretty particular things that will make the difference to how the new uke is received. If it just doesn't fit her style because of sizing or set up, then it's not going to be that advertising opportunity that you hope it will be. Instead it will be left in it's case.

As well, taking the time to ask those questions will show that you are taking the custom build through it's path from idea to actualisation. Something I've learnt is really important to people that are getting a hand built instrument.

Don't forget to take pictures of the steps along the way and present them with the instrument. Either on a CD or print them out and in a booklet. Virtually no one except those in our little community know what's involved in building an instrument and are amazed at the steps we go to enable music to come form some inanimate pieces of wood.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for the tips - I had planned to take some pics, but I like the idea of presenting the book of build pics as well as the instrument.

I think you're right about asking the questions up front as well. I might do a preliminary design and send it off for feedback before I get stuck into it, too...
Ian

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Can anyone see any problem with the idea of using a single 4-string mandolin machine head on a uke? Again just thinking a little outside the box on this project...

Something like this?
Ian

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Nope.

Know a fellow up here that has an 8 string uke that uses mando tuners in a slot head.

Just have to work out the geometry so you get a reasonably straight pull on each of the strings.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks again Allen!
Ian

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:34 pm

None at all mate. They are machine heads designed to tension strings to achieve .....

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks guys. I didn't THINK there'd be a problem. Just thought I'd see if some more experienced minds could foresee something I hadn't anticipated...
Ian

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Re: Custom ukulele commissioned...

Post by Insomnomaniac » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I sent off my design as suggested and she loves it! I have the go ahead to proceed. Very excited would be an understatement. I'll post up (some of) my design sketches when I get a chance. I'll be keeping the back design a bit of a secret for now, though... Tee hee...
Ian

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Here are the design drawings. The brief I had was "Make it rock & roll but traditional"
I kept it to mostly natural timber finishes (there's some stained veneering on the back) with some rock motifs, such as the custom scratchplate/pickguard and the "Strat-style" headstock.
top design sml.jpg
head & neck design sml.jpg
Keen for any feedback!
Ian

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

With that sort of design I might consider going with a pinned bridge. That tie bridge looks a little out of place to my eye with the tele headstock.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Allen wrote:With that sort of design I might consider going with a pinned bridge. That tie bridge looks a little out of place to my eye with the tele headstock.
Yes - I think you might be right!

Good call... :cl
Ian

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 am

Now, this may be a stupid question, but how critical is the curved back on a soprano ukulele? All the plans I have found so far seem to have a radius on the back, but many of the actual ukuleles I have looked at have a flat back. Given that I plan to veneer over the back of this uke, a flat back would be much easier to work with...

Am I seting myself up for trouble?
Ian

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Absolutely critical mate. :roll: :D

No, really. You can build it any way you like. The backs are so small that even a 15' radius really doesn't show up as much when the instrument is together. I would still be putting some radius in there as it's insurance on keeping the back in one piece when the humidity drops and everything shrinks on you. But if you are doing a bunch of marquetry it might end up being a bit like plywood and would hold together no mater what.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Looks like I might have another celebrity order... One of her friends likes the design and wants to talk to me about designing one for her too.

And a couple of enquiries already from fans asking if I'll be making them to sell...

Looking like I might actually be able to make a bit of money from this down the track. Which would be so amazing I don't know how to begin to describe it!
Ian