OM#5 finished - and an opinion on pickguard sought

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave Olds
Myrtle

OM#5 finished - and an opinion on pickguard sought

Post by Dave Olds » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:21 am

#5 was finished and strung up last weekend. This one has probably been about 4 mths in the making.

I am biased of course, but I am very happy with both the playability and the sound.

Specs are:

Back & Sides - Eucalyptus Globulus
Top - Sitka Spruce
Neck - Mahogany
Fingerboard and Bridge - Ebony
Rosette and Headplate - Rewarewa
Binding - Bloodwood
Tuners - Gotoh
Finish - French Polish

I have installed clear Mylar pickguards on my previous guitars, but on this one I am tossing up whether to put a red tortise guard. The bottom two pictures show the guitar with the pickguard sitting in place - the pickguard still has the plastic covering on it so would be a little brighter/shinier when installed than in the photo. I would be interested in your opinions as to choice - clear or red tortise.

Also - the pickguard has been cut down from one of the pre-shaped dreadnaught pickguards that you get from LMI or Stu Mac. It is self adhesive. Does anyone have experience with these pickguards - are the OK ?

Anyway - here are some pics - not he best quality I am afraid - but all I can do with a 'point and shoot' camera.
OM#5_1.jpg
OM#5_1.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_2.jpg
OM#5_2.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_3.jpg
OM#5_3.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_4.jpg
OM#5_4.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_5.jpg
OM#5_5.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_6.jpg
OM#5_6.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_7.jpg
OM#5_7.jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
OM#5_8.jpg
OM#5_8.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
Thanks for looking ....

rocket
Blackwood

Re: OM#5 finished - and an opinion on pickguard sought

Post by rocket » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 pm

That's a truly magnificent job there Dave, the back and sides are absolutely mind blowing, what about the headstock veneer, what species is it?
Cheers,,, Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Dave that is a truly unique looking guitar and beautifully executed. The quilting on the back and sides is hard to believe. I haven't seen Rewarewa used for a rosette and headstock like that and it is really nice - a perfect accompanyment to the other timbers, and a good NZ signature. I am not always a fan of bloodwood bindings but on an otherwise blonde-on-blonde scheme it is a good contrast. Likewise, I usually like the look without a pickguard unless the player really wants one. But that red tortoise guard goes so well with the bindings I think I would vote for it over the clear one on this occasion. Well done!! :cl :cl :cl

Is it for yourself or someone else? How does the eucalypt go for sound?
Mark

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 pm

Nice guitar Dave, beautiful timbers. I don't use pick guards myself as my style even when heavy strumming does not hit the top and I prefer the without one look. But the dark one does seem to go with the bloodwood binding.
BTW how did you go bending the bindings? I put some bloodwood bindings on an IRW guitar and they cracked in about 6 places during bending. Clean breaks and they went together without showing but it was really brittle and I bent them in my bender with a heat blanket.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Just agreeing with Dom really. I took the guard of an old Gibby years ago to help the lacquer age and prefer em without but it goes beautifully with that binding and the contrast is a great distraction and lifts the eye from the light top, excellent work Dave.

Steve

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Fantastic Dave. Great to see another "pulp wood" given the chance to star :D
My vote is for the tortoise shell guard.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:05 am

Beautiful job as usual Dave, I too like the figuring on the Eucalyptus, is that another Rarefind purchase? & the bloodwood bindings are a good contrast against it & the Spruce. I'm not sure about the pickguards, normally I would say settle on the clear, the more 'uncluttered' the top looks the better (highlights that great rosette of yours, you must have the worlds supply of RewaRewa :lol: ), but the tortoise shell kinda fits in with the binding & provides an extra contrast to the "white" woods, maybe just a subtle reshape along by the 'point'? Maybe that bottom edge a little straighter? (not sure) To my eye it just looks a little 'blobby' against the outline of the guitar, but that's just me.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Dave Olds
Myrtle

Post by Dave Olds » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 am

Hey guys - thanks for your feedback.

Rod - the headstock is Rewarewa. I have used this quite a bit in rosettes. Depending on the direction you slice it you can get a short tight grain like in the rosette, or a longer looser grain as in the headstock. I have one lump of this wood - not very big - and I slice sections off it as needed.

Mark - the guitar was not built for anyone specific, but I will look to sell this one. At the moment I am just building for the fun of it and like to be able to make my own choices as to what to build, the wood selection etc. But I now have 7 guitars in the lounge, which is getting a bit out of hand. As to the sound - this guitar has a very similar tone to the Macrocarpa one I built last. I find it difficult to describe the tone of a guitar, but it has truckloads of sustain, and a pretty good balance across the strings - i.e. not bass heavy or treble heavy. One thing I have learnt from the last two guitars - working with light colored timbers is harder than darker ones - every tiny scratch shows, and with high figure like in the Eucalyptus, there is a lot of sanding involved.

Dom - bending the bloodwood was a real pain in the arse. I needed a couple of beers afterwards to bring the blood pressure back down. I do my bending by hand on a hot pipe, and like you, I had multiple cracks when bending the binding. I didn't soak the binding - just misted it down as I went, but even going very carefully the wood was prone to just giving way at a point. I had a couple of repairs to do as I went along. Thank god for CA glue huh !!

Nick - yep the Eucalyptus was also from Rarefind. I must take another trip down there soon to see what else the have in their stash. You are right - the pickguard does require a little more shaping - there are a couple of 'corners' in the curve. It was cut down from a dreadnaught shape to the teardrop shape and needs to be refined. It is also not positioned correctly in the photo. I will need to study a few pictures to see where it should be placed.

Thanks for your feedback on the pickguard - seems to be a fair amount of support for the red tortise, and I am starting to lean that was too. I will let it sit for a few days to make sure it grows on me.

Thanks everyone for your comments

Dave.