Simple Pantograph

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Simple Pantograph

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am

Hi All.

A comment by Dom in another thread just made me remember this video I saw some time ago.

Many of you may have seen this, but in case you have not, it is a very simple but effective Pantograph for repetitive inlay work etc. I had intended to make one of these but am yet to get around to it... amongst many other things. :roll:

youtu.be/

Jeremy.

Puff
Blackwood

Re: Simple Pantograph

Post by Puff » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 pm

For mine that is a copier or replicator rather than a pantograph which is by definition able to scale up or down as well as copy.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:21 pm

i like it.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Thats the one I was talking about Jeremy. There are a few more like it on youtube but unless you look for a pantograph you won't find them. Its just what others call them, I don't really care if it the correct term or not.

Ok, as soon as I get back from Warsaw I'll put mine together and post a few pics. I got one of the air powered twisty router thingies (don't want to upset puff by calling it the wrong name :D ) from Blue creek and its great for inlays, much less vibration that the dremel.
Cheers Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:11 pm

No offence would be taken Dom. Pneumatic or air die grinder is the general term here. Speed is the essence as they go from air die grinder through mini... through micro. In reality from 30,000rpm through to 80,000 rpm. Matching your air supply to the needs of the hand piece is important. Some micros guzzle and some are more reasonable. A much more economic (for air supply) solution comes with a dental hand piece -450,000 rpm.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Puff, I suppose you couldn't see my tongue stuck in my cheek from there. Are you American btw?
:lol:
Dom

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm

No mate I'm a Kiwi. Born Cornwall(UK) 1953 and bought to NZ by parents transfering from RN to RNZN in 1954.
Sorry just realised RN and RNZN might not compute. Royal Navy to Royal New Zealand Navy.

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 am

I built a McKenzie style 'pantocopier' and it works well enough for me. By the way, this is tenor ukulel sized.
TUC 118.JPG
TUC 118.JPG (89.6 KiB) Viewed 30063 times

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 am

So dave, show us your machine then. The results look good.
Dom

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

Dave, even your inlays are perfect! You set the bar high for the rest of us to try & achieve.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:48 am

I spend a fair bit of time doing inlay by hand and enjoy it cause it is a bit meditative, I guess one of those would speed it up a little especially as I am considering making a few standards rather than one of's but the thing that appeals most is that my sight frustrates me a bit nowadays so I am seriously considering making one. Can I put in a vote to see some pics of yours too Dave.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm with you on that one Jim. I'm really struggling to see what I'm doing no matter how much light and magnification I have going on.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:31 am

Nick, it's not perfect by any means, as you'll see. I've already posted this on TLC but I suppose it won't hurt to show it here.
Once I'd cut out the shell pieces I used 3M re-positionable spray adhesive to position them face down (don't forget) on a board. I then gave them a coat of 'mould-relase' spray. This, in fact, is a Teflon spray I already had for treating saw or jointer tables, etc. Keith uses olive oil which probably works just as well but is a bit more messy.
TUC 106.JPG
TUC 106.JPG (69.99 KiB) Viewed 29967 times
I then warmed up some 'friendly plastic' in hot water. Mine is in fact called Utileplast (a French equivalent) but you can get the real thing from LMI if you don't have it in Oz. I kneaded this well around the shell. Note the 2 spacers stuck to the board.
TUC 108.JPG
TUC 108.JPG (60.99 KiB) Viewed 29967 times
Then, while the plastic was still soft, I put another board on top and squeezed the whole lot up in the vice, and left it to cool down.
TUC 109.JPG
TUC 109.JPG (91.73 KiB) Viewed 29967 times
This gave me my mould with a nice even thickness and it lifted off the shell quite easily.
TUC 111.JPG
TUC 111.JPG (56.96 KiB) Viewed 29967 times
This is the only photo I have of the 'machine' but I'll tell you a few things about it that need to be modified before I use it again. First of all I simplified it a bit by making the Dremel attachment and the stylus fixed. That was a mistake as I had to very carefully align my headplate veneer and the mould to get the inlay in the right position. So either the Dremel or the stylus (or both) needs to be adjustable. Second, as you can see, I used lightweight drawer runners and heavier ones would probably have made it a bit less flexible. To attach the Dremel I bought the accessory for cutting holes in dry walling and used the threaded part. If you think of making one just watch Chris Paulick's video a few times and you'll get the hang of what you need to do. Take note of what he says about 'racking' the hinges to take out the play; I wouldn't have thought of that.
TUC 112.JPG
TUC 112.JPG (86.42 KiB) Viewed 29967 times

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 am

Do some trial runs before starting on the real thing. My first results were very disappointing; the recesses I cut were much too big. I used the 1/32" downcut cutter from Stewmac and a 1/32" drill shank as a stylus. I had to experiment a bit and finished up using a bit of brass rod as a stylus and kept putting it in the drill chuck and filing it down a bit until it gave me a recess that was the right size. It also needs a very light touch. I found the best way was to hog out the inner part of each recess, watching the stylus, not the cutter and then carefully follow the contour of the mould using as little pressure as possible. Of course, if it were made from aluminium plate, using precision hinges and linear bearings instead of drawer slides it would be more accurate and wouldn't need such a light touch, but this only cost a few quid.

A 1/32" diameter router bit looks tiny and you'd think that a 1/64" radius would be next to nothing, but it ain't. So this machine's not really suited to inlays with long pointy bits. Any inside corners in the recesses still have to be cut by hand. And I'm with you guys when it comes to eyesight. I'm seriously considering one of those binocular thingies that Dan Erlewine always has stuck on top of his head!
TUC 115.JPG
TUC 115.JPG (67.5 KiB) Viewed 29965 times
So when all the bits finally went in, it looked like this. As I said, it's not at all perfect, but I don't think I would have got it any better by hand.
TUC 116.JPG
TUC 116.JPG (90.06 KiB) Viewed 29965 times
With a bit of sanding dust mixed into the epoxy the shell was glued in. The sanding dust/epoxy mixture always looks darker than the surrounding wood (unless it's ebony) so I mix a bit of chalk dust in as well to try and get a better colour match.
TUC 117.JPG
TUC 117.JPG (88.7 KiB) Viewed 29965 times

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 am

Hi All,

That is so kool, where can we buy friendly plastic or equivalent in Oz.
My pneumatic die grinder arrived from Blues Creek this week, so keen to give some inlay work a try.
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks Dave all food for thought. Looks like Keith uses a reasonable quality hinge but he does mention he cranks the hinges against each other which will take any slop out of them. The piano hinge you used should be okay if you can get a bit of a crank in them too I would think. I say that cause I already have SS piano hinge laying around.

Jim
Jim Schofield

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

kiwinoz62 wrote:Hi All,

That is so kool, where can we buy friendly plastic or equivalent in Oz.
I got some through LMI but do a google search if you want something local as there are several arts & craft stores that stock it.

Thanks for the quick rundown Dave, still looks impressive though because as you say the radius's have to be 'sharpened'. On Ebony I tend to be lazy & just rout 'past' the point a little & rely on the filler to hide it :oops: .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

How would it go cutting out the shell inlay?
What type of cutter would you need then?
My thinking is of doing replicas of shell logos and fret markers.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 pm

It should cut shell fine if you make it play free. I found these guys ages ago when I was looking at CNC's but have never bought off them. http://www.precisebits.com/products/car ... /shell.asp

Jim
Jim Schofield

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:09 pm

It is thermo plastic and Jaycar used to sell it. Also known as Polymorph there's a trader selling it at $16/100g on TradeMe.
Is great as you can use it again and again. Just heat it up to 60C and she's soft again. At room temp it will take a 'reasonable' thread.
Please be extra careful doing shell on these. At very least a good draft away from your face toward the work. This stuff in your lungs is with you forever - the particles have hooks/barbs that do not come out. A water vapour spray is better.
As for mini or micro die-grinders; here in NZ, you can buy them for $20 and $35 respectively.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:17 am

This is the only photo I have of the 'machine' but I'll tell you a few things about it that need to be modified before I use it again. First of all I simplified it a bit by making the Dremel attachment and the stylus fixed. That was a mistake as I had to very carefully align my headplate veneer and the mould to get the inlay in the right position. So either the Dremel or the stylus (or both) needs to be adjustable.
Dave, do you mean adjustable back and forth, side to side or both? May as well avoid other mistakes before I get going and not having tried to align one I am not sure what the difficulty is.
Cheers
Dom

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:52 am

Hi all,found this guy on ebay a while back
http://shop.ebay.com.au/consiliumdesign ... m=&_ipg=25
price seems reasonable even with postage from UK 500g @$26.00..
Hope it helps someone out cheers Steve

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 am

Jaycar works out to about $90 per kg. (No Freight)

LMI works out to about $56.00 per kg + Freight (app $25 to $30)

This pommy ebayer works out to about $54 per kg..'Including' freight. 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/250g-POLYMORPH-Amaz ... 45f5a59d4b

EDIT...Too slow for Steve :)

Cheers

Kim

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am

That UK link looks first choice for more as there are still rellies over their :D
The exchange rate from here :( puts Jaycar some way ahead of LMI.

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 am

That's just awesome. Never saw it originally or Dave's on TLC. Thanks guys, another jig to make :gui
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue