Lattice guitar comparison

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

schrammguitars
Sassafras

Lattice guitar comparison

Post by schrammguitars » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:02 am

Comparison of a 2001 Greg Smallman and 2010 David Schramm lattice guitar.
Part 1:

youtu.be/
Part 2:

youtu.be/
David Schramm
www.schrammguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Lattice guitar comparison

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for taking the time to first, make the vids David & then post them for our ears. Just through my laptop speakers you've certainly nailed the sound, I certainly couldn't hear much difference between the two models. I was surprised (& it could just be my speakers) by the slight lack of bass response from both guitars, they both sounded like they were lacking that full rounded bass sound. Is this a point associated with the latticed CF style guitars David or is it just a quirk of the video? Please don't take that as a detrimental comment, I was just surprised is all.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 pm

I noticed lack of punch in the bass register as well. The volume is impressive.....it reminds me of the time I was sitting out in my back yard and I heard some guitar music coming from the physio car park next door. It was a classical guitar but it sounded really loud. Turns out it was a lattice braced Smallman style guitar and the guy playing it was a Geologist by trade like myself.
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:58 pm

To My ear the smallman sounded a little more mellow, not necessarily better.
Both sounded quite reverby, is that the guitar, the room, or processing?
I would however like to know what you are using for microphones etc.
I am planning on shooting some videos of my guitars later this month.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:02 am

The smallman sounds slightly out of tune to me. And more mellow. Are the strings on both new?
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

schrammguitars
Sassafras

Post by schrammguitars » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 am

For the video I used a Creative Vado HD video camera. No external mics, editing, processing, etc... The close up is so the internal mic can pick up the sound easier.
The sound on the second video is much better than the first. Both have a good full bass sound. I don't think the internal mic of my Vado picked that up very well. The audio is brighter than the guitars actually are.

The Smallman is a 2001, the other was just strung up last week.
David Schramm
www.schrammguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 am

schrammguitars wrote:Both have a good full bass sound. I don't think the internal mic of my Vado picked that up very well. The audio is brighter than the guitars actually are.
That's what I was wondering, thanks David.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:30 am

Seems most video cameras these days do not have provision for external mic's
I had to really search around for one at the price I was prepared to pay.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks for posting David, I would love to hear one live but second best is better than nothing. I have heard Greg's guitars live so I get the picture, nice work. Jose Romanillos makes a comment about modern classicals with 1mm thick cedar tops in one of his videos (I get the feeling he prefers Torres and spruce from his comment). You guitar sounds pretty fine to me though.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 am

Now why do I disagree with everyone else? Must be my speakers. To me, your (Schramm) guitar sounded much more mellow (how do you describe sound?). In fact, returning to the Smallman after the Schramm, the Smallman sounded positively harsh. Perhaps I should get new speakers. But, as the French say, "les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" (taste and colour aren't debatable). And, after all, what do I know?

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

OK to be completely honest David, I am hearing far too much boxiess, hiss, and rumble before you even pick up a guitar.

Even your voice is coming across quite brittle and sharp in places as are 'both' guitars especially in the trebles. If you are going to do this comparison and hope to give the listener a more realistic platform from which to comment, then I think you need to get hold of a decent quality and fairly transparent condenser mic and digital recorder.

It is a bit exie to set up, but its not too bad for those of you in the USA. I have found a good set up to be an Audio-Technica AT 4050 condenser mic, run into one of the XLR inputs of a Zoom H4n recorder.

The H4n recorder is portable and has its own built in stereo XY axis condenser mics and it can be run on two AA batteries. Better still it also has 48v phantom to run a large diaphragm condenser mic like the AT4050, so you can quite literally set up anywhere, record an mp3 or wav track with a decent mic at what ever bit rate you select, and then upload it to your PC via USB when you get back home or come in from the shed :D

This combo really will produce a very clean and accurate reproduction at a relatively affordable price (am sure you know already that pro audiophile stuff can be hideously expensive)..I wish I was closer and then you could borrow my setup as I would love to hear the results. But that said, you should be able to find one of the guys on the USA forums who is closer to you and can help out because set ups similar to what I have described really are becoming quite common as they are now quite affordable these days.

Cheers

Kim