Update: Forum Reconstruction. PLEASE READ!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Update: Forum Reconstruction. PLEASE READ!

Post by Kim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Well folks I am happy to announce that from the ANZLF Reconstruction Teams perspective, all topics that could be saved and reconstructed into working threads (in all over 200 at a rough guess) have been completed and moved back into their respective forums. :D

What this means is that the active topic list of the ANZLF can now return to some normality :cl

During reconstruction we managed to save some absolutely priceless gems. From really useful tutes, to some wonderful gallery entries to Matthew's fascinating Old French Bass Restoration thread and all of the topics and posts from Ervin Somogyi "The Responsive Guitar" forum. We also saved some topics that will probably have you wondering why we even bothered ( I know it did us at times). I think the reason for the 'no prisoner' approach adopted by the team can be best summed up by saying that we saved 'everything' that we could simply because anything lost could be perceived as a win for the prick who hacked our forum. Without conference, we as a team wanted to leave them as little as possible to gloat about.

So with the hard-yards done, it now comes down to the rest of our ANZLF members to help out by doing some lite touch up work if they see some missing images that they still have on their own system. So before these reconstructed threads slip off the radar, please take the time to have a look through for any images that may still be missing form posts AND replies you have made, and replace them where applicable. Missing images can easily be identified by the following blue text: img~ Replacement is important simply because a lot of this stuff makes little sense without the pictures, and while you may be able to recall yourself what was going on, anyone else who follows in future via the search button, may be left scratching their heads and wondering and we have all experienced the frustrating that follows when you 'think' you have found the answer to your quest only to have your hopes dashed by the dreaded X or in our case the img~.

So I will now round up and let things at the ANZLF return to normal by thanking the Reconstructors Team.

First of all a big thank you must go to member 'Charangohabsburg' (Markus of Switzerland) who came to us shortly before the hack and trash event. Because he had only recently registered at the ANZLF (despite my best efforts .....Markus will understand :wink:) Markus' account was deleted when we lost the data. But thankfully he return after the devastation with first hand experience and advice on how we could get a lot of our data back, and how we could then use it to rebuild many of the threads. His 'can do' attitude was the genesis of the reconstruction effort.

Next for special mention is member 'Steve' of Coffs Harbour. Steve put in a Trojan effort. His attack on the Google cache was nothing short of relentless, he 'slayed' the bloody thing, and his marathon effort on reconstruction left us all in his wake as he plowed on through the list with endless determination. Thank you Steve.

But there were quite a few others who joined the reconstruction effort and jumped in to lighten the load. There were those who assisted Markus and Steve to re-captured data from the Google cache, such as Puff (NZ), Pau (Cape Town) and SteveG....(while others like me sat blinking at their monitor with our bottom lips sucked completely behind our top teeth) and also the crew who took on the laborious task of stitching things back together etc and I will list these excellent people as they come to mind. Thank you Lillian, Bob, Toejam (Jim), Dave White, Chalks (Greg Chalker), and Alfred J.

The ANZLF: You can trip us, but we shall not fall.

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Update: Forum Reconstruction. PLEASE READ!

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 pm

A great effort you guys....the beers are on me for any of you passing through Adelaide.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:59 pm

I can only look on in wonder at the ability of some of our more computer literate members & applaude their massive effort. I think this is what makes this forum more of a closer community (almost a family) than some of the others out there in the ether (not just luthier orientated forums). It also speaks alot of it's membership make up when a new member like Markus comes along & wants to help out in the way that he has. I'd like to personally thank all of those mentioned in Kims post, it's been an absolute sterling effort & I will echo Martin's comment, if ever any of you guys are passing through Christchurch in New Zealand look me up, there's always a night out for you here. :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Nick O wrote:
...if ever any of you guys are passing through Christchurch in New Zealand look me up, there's always a night out for you here. :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
Does the night out include a cruise around the block in the lime green Commodore??? :mrgreen:
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks to one and all for making this happen.

Just after the server crash, some low life Pr*#k's walked into our house while I was out in the shed and my wife had gone to bed. Stole our 2 Mac Books and my wallet. We lost all our data and a few $$$ plus all my cards and id. The countless hours and complete pain in the ass of trying to get our systems up and running and restoring as best we can the things we lost is something I totally relate to.

Now we've put in remote wireless backup systems that get checked and verified, as well as burning a hard copy once a week.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Crap Allen. I hope they catch them. Flogging or a yardarm?

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Lillian wrote:Crap Allen. I hope they catch them. Flogging or a yardarm?
Both Lillian! At the same time then pulled down just before death & stretched out on the rack.........AHHHH the good 'ole days. :mrgreen:
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 pm

A ride around the block wearing Allens backless leather chaps while tied to the tow bar of Nick's lime green Commodore.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:33 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
A ride around the block wearing Allens backless leather chaps while tied to the tow bar of Nick's lime green Commodore.
That'll do it, although Allens purple chaps might clash with the Kermit green commy :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

Alfred J
Myrtle

Post by Alfred J » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Allen wrote: Just after the server crash, some low life Pr*#k's walked into our house while I was out in the shed and my wife had gone to bed. Stole our 2 Mac Books and my wallet. We lost all our data and a few $$$ plus all my cards and id...
We are planning on moving back to the "lucky country" sometime within the next year to 18 months. Reading this sort of thing almost makes me wonder if I've made the right decision. All the best to you Allen.

About restoring the lost threads, I spent 3 hours late the night first time around and only got one page done. After that and some sleep I figured it out and it went a lot easier, but my bit of effort was minuscule compared to the work that other folk put in.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Two guys set upon by 30 Mongrel Mob thugs in Kaikoura New Zealand the other day but it doesn't put me off moving back to the motherland.
Martin

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 am

I don't know how much help this is but there is a snapshot of the site here:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.anzlf.com for two dates in July 2009 It includes images. Apologies if it has been mentioned already.

Cheers, Simon

p.s. it would be easy to grab it all with one of the tools that saves complete sites offline for you but no idea how easy it would be to put back into the archives.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi All.

Just wanted to belatedly add my thanks to all those that put in the hard yards to get everything back up and running. It is appreciated by me and by more others I'm sure, that don't necessarily voice it.

My recent workload has left me high and dry as far as forums were concerned. I've dropped by 'very' briefly to keep tabs on goings on, but haven't had even the time to reply/fully read the interesting threads let alone join the reconstruct efforts. Hopefully I'm getting on top of that now but most of the work has been done I see. At least I can do my bit and put back my missing images...

I would hazard a guess that those that did put the work in didn't have much in the way of 'spare' time either, but managed to find it all the same. So cheers to you again. :cl

Jeremy.

SteveG
Gidgee

Post by SteveG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:48 am

Wow. Nicely Done! Thanks to the folks who put the pieces back together. Great to see the good guys (and gals) win.

cheers

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 pm

It looked like such a big list last time I was in there I am amazed it is now done. I have to say I had not looked at the list for a while, after getting through just the two sets I decided to have a break from it as, as you may imagine the reconstruction of those threads was a fairly boring repetitive process (other than the fact that it was a laugh at times to re-visit those past threads). Thanks to all those who put in the time and effort to complete a job that is nowhere near as much fun as answering questions and posting finished instruments. Again here is cheers to the future of the ANZLF.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 pm

I too am just slightly gobsmacked about how much was recovered. Well done everyone! :cl :cl :cl :cl

Matthew