Finishing an accoustic with nitro in NZ.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Chris H
Gidgee

Finishing an accoustic with nitro in NZ.

Post by Chris H » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on:"Mon Aug 09, 2010 "

Hi all I am new to this forum and see from the photos of some of the finished instruments I am in some pretty august company. I am not even really a beginner but I have just finished a kit guitar and I want to learn more. But in the meantime I am so chuffed with me guitar (it sounds fantastic, sort of full, rich, fruity and crispy) that I want to refinish it with a nitro cellulose finish having initially gone the shellac sealer and tru oil route. I live in NZ and wonder what product you Kiwi luthiers use, where you get it and is it possible to get a suitable nitro cellulose product here in shake and rattle cans?
Many thanks Chris.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Finishing an accoustic with nitro in NZ.

Post by seeaxe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Chris

I have used spray cans for my last three guitars, and while they are nothing like as good as some of the ones you see on this forum, Ii found it relatively straightforward and not too expensive, when considering the kit you need for a proper spray set up.

Id be happy to share my thoughts with you, if you are interested, pm me.

One thing I cannot help with though is what you would have to do to get all the tru oil off it first, I imagine that would affect a nitro finish.

Cheers

Richard
Richard

Chris H
Gidgee

Post by Chris H » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi Richard
Many thanks for that. If I find it not feasible to nitro safely over what might be left of the tru oil I am sure your thoughts would be helpful for my second build (I don't think I could stop now). My main concern about the tru oil is the softness of the finish.
Have pm'd you.
Cheers Chris

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris & congrats on your first build! Pictures are a necessity around here when she's finished! :wink:

I'm abit of a heretic and use two pot Urethane on my axes but I know PPG do a Nitro called 262 SpeedLac (tells you all about it here), I've used it on one of my builds (an archtop) but it does cure a little too brittle for my liking. I know alot of guys on the forum use a Mirotone product which is available in NZ (here), not sure of the product number but I'm sure one of our Ocker neighbours will let you know that. :)
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Chris H
Gidgee

Post by Chris H » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks Nick

I have been blown away with really helpful advice and support and I only joined up a couple of hours ago!
This place is clearly full of good people and yes I'll put a photo up of me meat and potatoes kit guitar when she's looking as good as she can be which should be a couple of weeks as I've decided I'll work on the finish I've started with and reserve the more tricky finishes for the next one.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 pm

That'd be Mirocat 3220. Pre-catalysed laquer. You need to use Mirotones thinners which is reasonably expensive but it's a fantastic product.

1222 thinners works well particularly if you lash out and buy some 1218 ultra slow thinners as well. Splash around 5-10% of the 1218 into a 50/50 mix of 3220 and 1222 and I'll be yer uncle.

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Bob
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forum.
If your going to strip the guitar and want a great finish i can highly recommend the Mirotone products ,i like Nick use the Mirothane PU 5533 Sealer but i use the Mirocat Full gloss topcoat PC 3220. Anyway the website is pretty useful. http://www.mirotone.co.nz
not sure what lacquers you can get in a spray can these days.
good luck.

Christian

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com