Good Hide Glue Supplier in Australia?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Darvall
Gidgee

Good Hide Glue Supplier in Australia?

Post by Darvall » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 am

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

Originally Posted on: Sat May 01, 2010

Hello,

I apologise. I'm not actually a guitar maker. I'm a chairmaker, and I'm looking for a good hide glue supplier. Hoping I maybe able to get some advice from here.

Particularly after something a bit better than what I regularily use. Something thats labeled with a grade.

Got a couple of places from overseas I've found. This one in particular looks good ...
http://www.bjorn.net/

got a price list....

HIDE GLUE PRICES
June 2009

Regular Grades Available

135, 164, 192, 222, 251, 283, 315, 347, 379

Special Grades Available

192 TG, 251 HC, 315 HC, Glass Chipping Grade

Regular Grades Special Grades
Quantity Price Per Pound Price Per Pound

5 lbs. $ 8.00 $ 9.00

10 lbs. 7.00 8.00

15 lbs. 6.50 7.50

20 lbs. 6.00 7.00

25 lbs. 5.50 6.50

50 lbs. 5.00 6.00

For quantities over 50 lbs., call or email for price quotation.

Minimum Order: 5 lbs.

Shipping Costs: Prepaid and added to the invoice. Invoices net 15 days.

We ship by UPS and First Class Mail

But the kind fella said there was some australian quarantine issues to getting the hide glue in to australia. I called Quarantine and was given the impression it'll cost a 100 bucks (or something like) to let it through, which is too much.

Hoping somebody knows of a way to avoid all that. Anybody know of an australian supplier whose supplies different grades ?

appreciate any thoughts

thankyou kindly

Jake

Steve
Blackwood

Re: Good Hide Glue Supplier in Australia?

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:54 am

Darvall wrote:But the kind fella said there was some australian quarantine issues to getting the hide glue in to australia. I called Quarantine and was given the impression it'll cost a 100 bucks (or something like) to let it through, which is too much.
Hi Jake,
I just bought some hide glue from overseas (from Tools for Working Wood; there's a whole blurb in this post ( link broken)). AQIS opened it up, but didn't have any problems with it. I can't really blame them - 3 packs of organic matter & labelled as 'Hand tools for wood working'.
Steve

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:59 am

Many of us get our glue from Tools for Working Wood in the USA. No problem at all getting it into the country.

I've also bought some small quantities locally, but never seen anything labled with a gram weight.

I think that you can get larger quantities from Goods and Chattels. Give them an email with your inquiry. Excellent place to deal with out of Brisbane.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 am

G'day Jake,

I wasn't able to find a supplier of 192 Hide here in Australia . I imported it from USA with no extra charges.

You can easily get the pearled stuff ( unknown gram strength ) which I've used for many years without complaint.

Nothing wrong with using Titebond either . Great glue !

A chair maker sounds interesting. I imagine you do some bending work. I know we'd all be interested to see how a chair maker goes about it.
Craig Lawrence

Darvall
Gidgee

Post by Darvall » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:01 am

My apologies for not replying earlier.

Thankyou very much for the advice. much help. I'll order a bag from toolsfor working wood.

Regards to steam bending. I'm relatively new to it . only about 2 years bending now. Its very...fickle. Lots of experiments and much failure unfortunately.

I make old style windsor chairs. If interested I can try and load an image somehow.

I have been using the liquid tightbond stuff too for tricky glueups where I need more time, but I got stung recently when it wouldn't harden despite the glue still being well within its expirey. Not shore what caused it. anyway .

I don't know much about guitars. My old joiner boss was a luthier apparently, but I never learn't anything from him. remember reading that you use a hot pipe to bend ?

thanks again for the help. I've been wanting to get something better for quite a while.

Jake

Darvall
Gidgee

Post by Darvall » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:02 am

I just went through the Tools for Working Wood site.

and the quote for postage alone of 6lb's of glue is $62US.

I new us postage was costly, but that seems very high ??

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 am

Try shipping 10 spruce tops from the US. They've done away with sea freight so air freight is the only option.
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 am

Well, that could be a bit high. The International Flat Rate to Australia starts at about 48.00 USD, depending on box size. There is a weight limit, but its somewhere around 20lbs I think. So, if it fits in the box, it ships. Now there is paperwork to do and you have to go to the Post Office in person to ship it, so they might be hitting you up for standing around waiting for their turn. I think they could do better myself, but they might not even be aware of the Flat Rate boxes.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:04 am

Toolsforwoodworking are pretty good with their service from my experience. Id contact them and pass on Lillian's suggestion.
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:05 am

Darvall
Gidgee

Post by Darvall » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:07 am

thanks kindly.