Cap, Drop Top, Carved top?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Cap, Drop Top, Carved top?

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on:Sat Jan 09, 2010"

Hi everyone,

Here is a question for the electric builders.

What is a drop top and in which electric guitar design would it be used?

Please correst me if I'm wrong but I think a 1/4" book matched or one piece cap is for decorative purposes and the 3/4" is extra material so the top can be carved with a dome.

In the near future I am considering building a Les Paul Junior style electric for myself. I want to use soap bar pickups for a big fat tone and incorporate the light weight of the junior.

All discussion and thoughts greatly received.

Cheers

Alan

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Cap, Drop Top, Carved top?

Post by Lillian » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Alan, my understanding of a drop top is that its a guitar that has a cap of a different wood, usually something visually interesting, like curly maple. The under body is usually something like alder. It usually thicker than a veneer, in some cases thick enough to carve contours on without going through it.

Using a drop top gives you the visual appeal without the weight and the expense. I don't see why it can't be used on any style really. You can use it to cover the under body when you chamber it to lose some if its heft. You could carve a Les Paul with one, as long as its thicker than your contours.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:52 pm

A "drop top" generally refers to a thinner top used on a basically flat top design (sometimes bent for forearm cut) rather than the thicker top used for a carvetop.
A junior typically does not have a cap but there is nothing to stop you using one.
My '59 LPJ replica is built from solid brazilian mahogany. with one dogear P90 at the bridge
Love the sound and the easy access to the end of the fretboard.
If you are thinking 2 soapbars you will need to do a little modification to the junior design to avoid cutting away all the neck tenon for the neck pickup (raising fingerboard level like a LP special)
Anyhow, it was a few years back but I can help you with the details anf pitfals so just ask.
regards
Jeff

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Lillian: Thanks, you have clarified things nicely. So a drop top is used for semi hollow electric designs like the Tele thinline? I like the idea of carving a contour on the top also! A challange there I reckon!

Jeff: G'day mate! Yep I remember your Junior build and still have the pics you sent me. When the time comes I will contact you for some good advice. Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Alan

Cam
Myrtle

Post by Cam » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm

A drop top can be used on any guitar. From my experience they're usually 3/8" thick, but are sometimes 1/4" thick.

They are used on hollow bodies, but it doesn't have to be a hollow body or f-hole to use one.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm

but a LPJ with a carved top is a PRS

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.