A first for me, thanks Allen and Rick

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

A first for me, thanks Allen and Rick

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:14 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 pm"

Last night I got to see, for the first time, a instrument from this forum being played live on stage. One of the ukuleles that was built in Allen and Ricks Cairns uke building course. It was cool to see this instrument soloed by Ange in front of a star studded audience ( well, one star, Magda Szubanski was there Very Happy ). At one point the mic dropped out and the little cedar topped pineapple still carried well across the audience. Soon the two women that attended the course will have a bit of spare time and I get the pleasure of helping them put a finish on their instruments.

Jim

Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

reconstructor
Wandoo

Re: A first for me, thanks Allen and Rick

Post by reconstructor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Reply by "Isabelle"

Hi Jim,

I'd be interested in hearing about what kind of finish you will use. I started discussing my finish over at the discussion on that workshop here on the forum.

And... the day the ukes were completed (minus the finish) a bunch of us took them to a gathering at the York Hotel and passed them around to folks who had come for the festival. People seemed amazed at how good they sounded.

Same thing happened on the day of the World record attempt... mine got passed around a lot and it was smiles and nods all round...

Great course!

reconstructor
Wandoo

Post by reconstructor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Reply by "Isabelle"

Jim...

Duh... I see you are the same Jim who posted an answer to my query on that discussion... thanks...

Isabelle

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 pm

They want to DIY Isabelle. I suggested tung oil but we may go for something a bit tougher in the end like a polyurethane floor finish from Bunnings.

Jim
Jim Schofield

reconstructor
Wandoo

Post by reconstructor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Reply by "Isabelle"

They will have lots of fun doing it themselves... I'm loving it now... and.... getting more patient by the day.

Rob J Williams
Wandoo

Post by Rob J Williams » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Dont know if I am disobeying some kind of luthiers code here but her uke actually came crashing to the ground on the first day of the course after only the neck and top were glued together. They completely snapped apart.

Rick got to work and did the necessary repairs and I couldnt even notice by the end of the course. Im happy it sounds great. At least the accident may be a good story to tell.

EDIT: Wrong info, names were swapped in a tagged photo on Facebook so I got my story wrong. My apologies...

Last edited by Rob J Williams on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:23 pm

All the instruemnts from that course turned out so good I was just amazed. 3 1/2 days and they sounded and looked just so good. And the designs that they all came up with for head stocks and some pick guards put a smile on everyones face. Made me rethink what you can do with a uke.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Uke building ina short snap is a blast - I concur Allen. And ukes... well my guitar making days have long been over that's for sure!

Rob J Williams
Wandoo

Post by Rob J Williams » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Could I please scrap my comment about the uke falling, this did not happen to Anjea... The group photo of all of us has been tagged by someone else on my Facebook page and the two NT girls names were mixed up.

My apologies, ignore post above!!

reconstructor
Wandoo

Post by reconstructor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Reply by "Isabelle"

Rob.... I may very well have been the one who put the incorrect tags on. Actually, each photo has two tags. I've written to Anjea and Jackie to see if they can remove the tags... I think only they can now.

Sorry big guy...

Head hanging,
Isabelle

Rob J Williams
Wandoo

Post by Rob J Williams » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Dont stress Isabelle, its all good...

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.