Stickering Guitar Sets

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ashparekh

Stickering Guitar Sets

Post by ashparekh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 am

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on:Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 pm"

I would like to know your comment about what would be the best way to sticker sets for drying.

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Stickering Guitar Sets

Post by Lillian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 am

Reply by "tomigv"

traditonal ways of stickering have never worked for us in the midwest of the usa The humidity swings from 70% in summer to 30% in winter , this wreaks havoc on our large stash of local and exotic hardwoods. The best method , that works here is to resaw the dried tonewood down to 11% emc. In my experience drier is always better , unless one resaws in the dead of winter or height of summer. After resawing the tonewood I wrap it up with ordinary masking tape in 3 places and leave it to dry in a semi climate control bsmt. Depending on where you live in india, I/m assuming its hot and humid, you can use lightweight stickers 1/2 in ?? hardwood or softwood that will not leave marks or stains on your tonewood, or cause any kind of reaction between the tonewood and your choice of stickers. Before, trying this method , I would suggest trying to sticker some scrapwood first!!! One can weigh and date the piece and come back every 3 months to check the weight. Once the weight has stabilized and not changed, it might be ready for use , as long as the moisture content is in harmony with the EMC of your work area e.g. 40-50% humidity , otherwise you will have problems with your instrument drying later on and expanding and contracting. This is a science and art. Take your time cheers ernie

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.