Importing Wood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Stu
Blackwood

Re: Importing Wood

Post by Stu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Glad to see that the ALS site has changed for the better. It used to annoy me every time I got the till, and found myself deleting an item or two to get me under my spend quota. (usually under the good wife's watchful eye :wink: )

I also try to keep the bucks local, but depending on what's required it isn't always possible or more importantly available. But when I do use local suppliers, I haven't had a problem with delivery, service or product as of yet.

Many suppliers here in oz do a fantastic job, and there are a heap of them.
Of the ANZLF endorsed ones, that leaves Tim on his own. And Tim certainly
excels in every department. (btw still waiting on your new website to kick in, mate) :lol:

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Just a note about a few of the Australian suppliers.

When we first started the forum I did contact ALS, Gerard Gillet, GuitarAust and MOP supplies to see if they would like a presence on the forum and the preferred vendor status.

Some got in touch but never followed through with anything, some ignored the offer.

Regards

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:57 pm

It is a interesting situation businesses like this are in given that they sell on the net. A customer from over seas, for example N.Z. would not have to pay the GST (as far as I know). To me it seems odd that they should have GST in their advertised prices rather than showing GST free prices and then stating that purchases made in Australia will incur GST. That seems easier than telling potential overseas customers to subtract one eleventh of the displayed price to work out a cost to them.

On topic though Stuart, maybe you could mail some of the preferred suppliers here on the ANZLF before ordering from Stewy Mac

Jim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Just completely off topic here, Stu I'm loving the new avatar...any chance of a few shots for the gallery?

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Will do , Nick. I've been a little tardy in posting build pics of late.
I've got a few to stick up in the gallery over the next few weeks..

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 pm

Regarding importing wood from overseas. I have always thought twice about doing this and then not done it for fear of getting crap. However I did buy 10 sets of Spruce from Canada a year ago as the supplier was recommended by ANZLF. I was very happy with the deal, and it only took 2 -3 emails and PayPal to do the deal.

Some years ago I was contacted by Parekh Exports inviting me to buy their Indian Rosewood. I did not know them so did not follow up on the offer. More recently I saw that some members were buying timber from this supplier with apparent good outcomes, so when they again contacted me a few months ago I looked into it deeper.

Again I was a bit suss but after many emails and many weeks I ordered some sets of rosewood. It arrived in good time within two weeks and was packaged well. The supplier was very concerned about the arrival and checked nearly daily, I even got a call on my mobile one time while I was out of town.

I think I would have been more at ease if the supplier had been recommended by the ANZLF, but I was happy in the end. All the emails back and forth added up to 40, and added a lot of time to the deal.

There was no problems with customs and the package looked unopened

The timber is now stacked away and I'm told it is AA grade.

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.