Importing Wood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Importing Wood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on:Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 pm"

Anyone had any difficulty importing wood through customs from STEW MAC?

rocket
Blackwood

Re: Importing Wood

Post by rocket » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm

Stu,,, I've purchased Maple back and sides and ebony and rosewood bridges and fingerboards from Stumac, sometimes customs open everything to have a look and other times not. But no real dramas. Just had a load delivered, no timber, but they still went through it. Cheers Rod.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm

I've never had a lick of trouble importing wood from anywhere, and I've brought in a lot. Just make sure that it's clean, dry, no bark or bugs and AQIS might open it, but it always comes through without drama.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Have you guys got any wood from luthierssupplies.com.au

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Don't know who they are and they don't show up when I look for them. You got the name right?

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm

Allen wrote:
Don't know who they are and they don't show up when I look for them. You got the name right?
http://luthierssupplies.com.au/
That's the web address to Australian Luthier Supplies Allen

And I know it isn't OZ (im in Un Zud) but I've had no trouble from any off shore suppliers, MAF sometimes open the package but see it's not "raw" rough sawn timber & reseal it and send it on. I've only ever had some spruce stopped at the border because it was described as billet spruce on documentation, they found some old borer holes in it so I had to pay for treatment.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm

i've bought purflings, linings and other small pieces from ALS. No dramas, fantastic service.
i've had several shipments from Stew-Mac. Never timber. Exemplary service though.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm

Where do you source your timbers from Rocket? if you don't mind me asking. I am pretty keen to build my own Archtop at some point next year...but as i have very little experience will probably end up doing a lot of practice wood bending. Stew Mac look like they have some interesting wood. but no doubt there is always a risk with buying something you haven't seen. A.L.S look like they have some sets of wood that are like 600 bucks for front,back, and sides of AAA grade.
I liked your idea in your thread to have two strips of thin aluminium when steaming/ ironing the wood then pressing it into that mold...very very clever.

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm

needsmorecowbel wrote:
A.L.S look like they have some sets of wood that are like 600 bucks for front,back, and sides of AAA grade.
I've dealt with ALS quite a bit over the years and have always found the quality and service to be top-notch. However, other than for native wood species, I'd advise you to shop around a bit and compare prices from overseas sources.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Stu, In Melb. i use Mathews timber a bitfor rock maple,spruce ,blackwood, Figian mahogany, wenge, walnut, jarrah. I've also used Stumac for maple. Got some timber on order from Tim spittle, also Shane at Mountain tonewoods

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

I've always found customs to be pretty good to me....touch wood.....

I haven't bought any timber from Stewmac , other than cauls and radius blocks.

One parcel out of probably the last 30 tonewood orders from the U.S. got opened up and checked.
From memory it was an order of Quilt maple bookmatched tops.
Fairly big order and had my heart racing for a while there as the parcel was left half open at one end.

They left a nice little calling card inside stipulating a few regulations
to adhere to. One obviously being regards to CITES listed woods but they also stipulated milled timber with no bark edges to be a must.

In Vic. Mathews timber in Vermont and AFT (Australian Furniture Timbers ) in Port Melbourne are the close by go to places.

Some stuff you'll just have to source from overseas unfortunately, but you should be all right.

Edit....... ALS are good with their product and service but watch the prices as the advertised price doesn't include GST. That gets added on when you go through the checkout. I don't think they're allowed to do this.
GST must be up front in the price.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 pm

I have imported a lot of timber from the USA and from Europe over a 16 year period, but not from Stew Mac becasue their prices are not very competitive on timber. Never had any problem. Sometimes they open the package and it arrives looking like it had been run over by a truck, but there have been no problems with the wood. So long as there is no bark, no sign of any insect damage (e.g. holes), and no sign of rot, then it will be ok. Violin/Viola wood I get from Europe is declared as violin wood and usually does not get opened. Shop around. Prices vary a fair bit.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 pm

No problems with the small amounts I've imported.
Used ALS a bit, especially with my first build.
They're products & service are great, even helped with some unlisted parts & pieces.
But do watch out for the GST.
They calculate it from the total cost INCLUDING postage, so take that into account.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:47 pm

Surprised no one has mention Australian Tonewoods. Tim is a great bloke with a terrific selection of wood and he is very reasonably priced. I agree if you are after some of the exotics then buying in from OS is a good option, but check with Tim first because he has a lot of them in stock also and offers some good deals because of the horse trading he does with international vendors with local wood.

Cheers

Kim

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm

Yeah Tim is a top bloke I've got some tasty bits of she-oak off him in the past.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm

Craig Clancy wrote:

They calculate it from the total cost INCLUDING postage, so take that into account.
Theres already GST on domestic postage isnt there? That means theyre charging GST on GST. Thats illegal isnt it?

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:49 pm

If you will forgive my impertenance the question should be: Why are you buying wood from Stewmac in the first place? They are not the best suppliers and are largely uncompetative. I just wish I had the same access as you guys to all those antipodean and Asian woods that are on your doorstep! Although British timbers make great furniture there are so few that are suitable and visually exciting enough for musical instruments. We have no ebony or rosewood equivalents and.... I could go on but I think I have said enough - God save the Queen and all that :)

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:51 pm

Well said Pete. 8)

As for ALS, as far as I am aware they should not be presenting their prices on a website exclusive of GST and then tacking it on the bill later, and they should not be applying any GST to postage, these practices are deceptive, they are dishonest, they are a double dip, and that is why it is either against the law, or it bloody well should be....as I am aware it is a breach of the trade practices act.

First against the wall for my money.

Kim

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:51 pm

I just quickly went through the ALS order process (without placing an order) and the end total they wanted to bill my credit card was the same as the listed price for the items + postage. No GST added after-the-fact.

As for ordering wood from Stewmac, I wouldn't place an order with them solely containing wood because their range and pricing aren't that great, but I'll frequently add a few spruce tops or similar to a larger order because their shipping prices (via DHL) are far cheaper than what just about every other international supplier will charge. Never had an issue receiving tonewood from them... I honestly don't think I've ever had a Stewmac package with visible signs of customs entry.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:52 pm

I did the same thing Richard and found the same as you with ALS (It looks to me like the GST is in the price as it should be), I have also emailed them with a few questions regarding this. I would also like to say that I have dealt with ALS on the phone and have found them great to deal with.

Jim

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Richard, Jim, glad I'm now wrong about ALS & GST.
It has been a while since my last order from them.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53 pm

ALS replied promptly and stated that all their prices on the site include GST.

Jim

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53 pm

It's good that they have changed. I'm sure they used to add it on top.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:54 pm

They used to add the GST Jeff.

I remember being surprised after buying a set of nut files from them.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Hmm so there ya go..ALS must have received a PE from the ACCC about GST and non compliance with the TPA....that would been a PIA at the ETA but will teach the SOB's for being such sneaky MOFOES :D

Waddahyarecon

Cheers

Kim