Least favourite job

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Least favourite job

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:52 pm

Ok so I see the wonderful reconstruction team (You guys are doing an awesome job, as we like to say here in Nu Zilund, by the way :cl :cl ) have found my "favourite tool" post & cobbled it back together. Along the same nosey lines though, I wondered if there was any job you really don't enjoy or can't wait to get onto the next bit, when making guitars?
I think for me it would have to be the levelling & dressing of frets for the first time. I've always had a dislike for repetitive jobs ever since my apprenticeship where you got all the crappy production work so if there was a machine that could level,re-crown then polish the frets to a level I would be satisfied with while I had a cold one, I think I'd be bloody near the front of the line to buy one. :wink:
Fortunately as my technique has improved I've gotten to a point where I don't have too much leveling work to do but it still requires repetitiveness & time to do the rest.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Least favourite job

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Here you go Nick, I reckon you will need a fat wallet though. http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/

As for your question, that's a hard one. I guess I can't wait to get it strung up and playing and I must say I am a bit over putting strings on guitar, it don't take long. I guess I have just done it so many times.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:25 pm

Making kerfed linings is my least favourite job. Always end up with a sore neck.

So I bought a box of 100 Spanish Cedar reverse kerfed linings that'll see me through the next 25 guitars.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 pm

Putting things away....I force myself to do it, 'cause I'm freaking hopeless at finding thing if they aren't were they are suppose to be. But I still struggle with it. Especially after a productive day in the shed. Might look like a bomb went off, and I need to spend 1/2 hour getting it back in order.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Allen wrote:Putting things away....I force myself to do it, 'cause I'm freaking hopeless at finding thing if they aren't were they are suppose to be. But I still struggle with it. Especially after a productive day in the shed. Might look like a bomb went off, and I need to spend 1/2 hour getting it back in order.
That sounds far too familiar...all of it...except the 1/2hr bit :oops:

Cheers

Kim

AidanHarris
Kauri

Post by AidanHarris » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 pm

I cant stand sanding.

because im currently making my first guitar i cant say it will be good or bad as its smaller then most things ive made. Its just the biggest pain in the ass. any other tedious job i can get through. i spent 10 hours on a thickness sander and was happier to do that than hand sand.
The best wood is in the crotch

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 am

Toejam wrote:Here you go Nick, I reckon you will need a fat wallet though. http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/
Jim
Geez, it's amazing what's out there, still doesn't polish them though :cry: I think the recrowning & especially the polishing is the bit that makes it less attractive to me Jim. Did my time as a tool & diemaker in pre CNC days so plastic moulds had to be polished to a mirror finish by hand, this was a process that could take up to 2 months (depending on the size of the mould) so everyday was the same...rubbing bits of metal with increasing grades of paper & diamond paste, used to drive me nuts with boredom. So even the thought of 21 little frets induces a chill.

:shock: Just seen your signature Aidan :lmao Never a truer word spoken (or written in this case).
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 am

Gotta say i'm with Bob i hate making Kerfing !!!!
that repetition on the bandsaw is a killer.
If you dont mind me asking Bob where did you get your reverse Kerfing from ?

Cheers,

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 am

Nick O wrote:
:shock: Just seen your signature Aidan :lmao Never a truer word spoken (or written in this case).
Not that unusual....coming from a horn player.
Martin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm

christian wrote:Gotta say i'm with Bob i hate making Kerfing !!!!
that repetition on the bandsaw is a killer.
If you dont mind me asking Bob where did you get your reverse Kerfing from ?

Cheers,

Christian.
I got it from Bob Cefalu at RC Tonewoods Christian but I believe he gets it from a bloke in California. Probably cheaper to go straight to the source. I'll try and track him down or someone here might know.

I know Rick Turner has mentioned his name on the forum.

Just having a look and LMI sell reverse kerf for $5.80 - Uncle Bob sells 'em for $3.75
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Cheers Bob,
$3.75 seems very reasonable indeed !!!
its gonna save me a fortune in physio for my back in the long run.

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Why not make urself a K-Sled Christian, turns making any kind of kerfed lining into a fun job.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2443&p=29743#p29743

Here's a pdf of the whole tute you can download too if you want.
Ksled[1].pdf
(937.25 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
P.S. New forum software is cool because we can now upload .pdf and that is good for all no 8)

Cheers

Kim

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Horsehair. I buy it in a neatly tied bunch and hang it from a nail, with a rubber band around the end to keep it together. all nicely combed, same length, ready to use. But ... the rubber band deteriorated, the hair fell on workshop floor amongst all the detritus. and I didn't notice for a few days. So now I have a tangled mass of hair. Grrrrr

So my new least favourite job is trying to untangle and pick out the good hairs and get them all in a nice bunch again. Before this, my least favourite job was washing my brushes ...

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:29 pm

matthew wrote: So my new least favourite job is trying to untangle and pick out the good hairs and get them all in a nice bunch again. Before this, my least favourite job was washing my brushes ...
Sounds like you need an apprentice mate. Didn't I see a likely candidate in your shop in one of your posts??? :D

Cheers

Kim

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:02 am

(Why not make urself a K-Sled Christian, turns making any kind of kerfed lining into a fun job.)

Wow thats one flash jig Kim !!! can't say i've seen it before its a clever design, i only have a sliding fence and a stop!!
thanks very much for posting, i'll certainly look at building one.
cheers,

Christian.
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 am

Christian,

The original K-Sled tutorial has now been fully recovered and has a new link. Must say after all the work initially putting it together that I am pretty chuffed we managed to get it back via Google cache :D

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2443&p=29744#p29744

Cheers

Kim