Post-1926 Weissenborn copy project: the "firefly"

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Gwenn
Wandoo

Post-1926 Weissenborn copy project: the "firefly"

Post by Gwenn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:43 am"

Dear ANZLF members,

As I said in a previous post (report of my visit to French luthier Grellier) I am in the early stages of my second build: a "post-1926" Weissenborn-copy. I say "post 1926" as a reference to Tom Noe's book and all the posts I've read on the subject of late 1920s' weissenborn construction which included (among other things) a massive bridge plate (the "christmas tree" bridge plate) a narrower and shallower bridge.

TIMBER:

Regarding timber, I've decided to go with Tim Spittle's exquisite blackhearted Sassafras:

Img

This is just back and sides, but you will see the top later on.

For the other parts it's going to be:
- Headstock: BH Sassafras
- Fretboard: Eucalyptus wandoo (position markers: maple)
- Bridge: Wandoo
- Rosette: Wandoo, maple; w/b/w purfling
- Bindings: Pacific blackwood and b/w purfling
- Christmas tree bridge plate: sugar maple

NAME:

I thought the name Firefly sounded good on a Weissenborn copy, it's got this dusty-mystic-deep south scent to it. I've begun to work on the (how do you call that in English), well the sticker, but there's still room for improvement...:

Img

CONSTRUCTION:

I've started with jointing the soundboard and the back, using the spanish method:

Img

Img

Then I've been working on the wandoo fretboard:

Img

the rosette which consists in 12 30° sectors of wanddo with the grain running from the center towards the periphery, separated as you can see by .5mm maple veneer. It is now glued to the fretboard, but I still need to make it flush with the soundboard and then I'll add purflings inside and outside the wanddo sectors..

Img

Well that's all for now... I also forgot to say that I've got my mould done and my side profiled...

More later, and thanks for watching

Cheers from Paris!

Gwenn[/img]

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Re: Post-1926 Weissenborn copy project: the "firefly"

Post by Pete Howlett » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 pm

I made about 30 of these back in the 90's when I was a reproduction guitar maker and ukulele builder. What I didn't do was copy the completely ludicrous bracing used in these things. Instead I used the Larrivee style of bracing, made the fronts about 2.3mm thick with a 15' radius and produced what the clients thought were amazing instruments. Until his untimely death, Jack Rose (YouTube him) played one I made in mahogany - he said it sounded bteter than the real thing which of course is pegorative because like most of Weissenborn's stuff, it was very much hit or miss...

Lovely wood and what better to show it off than a Weissenborn!

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Looking good Gwenn.

The Sassafrass is certainly going to make a statement. As you know I have one built from Sassafrass too and the sound is great. Very much like mahogany. Mine was built however, to one of the plans you can buy and it has a few issues. I like the bridge plate and bridge modifications applied to the later model original weissenborns. I'm about to start building another all blackwood weissenborn copy so I will be using those very same modifications to my build as well.

Good luck with the project. I will be watching with interest!

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Gwenn,

That's some gorgeous wood and you are making good use of it - I like the rosette and flow of the fretboard end. I can see why you called it Firefly. These instruments are addictive - I'll follow this build with interest.

Like Pete I make mine with guitar bracing from the soundhole down and use a 13' radius on the tops and backs plus I don't call them Weissenborn's as the late John Pearce has that as a trade-mark apparently.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Gwenn
Wandoo

Post by Gwenn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Well thanks for the encouragement! Alan, I forgot to thank you for all the help you've been kind enough to provide: I refer to the pictures you sent me on a daily basis!

I also forgot to mention that for the last couple of months, I have been working on a plan to try to encompass the many details that in my sense lack with the MIMF and Stewmac plans. This one is also an attempt to include the changes made by Hermann Weissenborn after 1926: the christmas tree and the reduced bridge...

Img

Cheers for now,

Gwenn

Gwenn
Wandoo

Post by Gwenn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Dear ANZLF members,

Been working on my headstock this weekend. I still need to refine it but the basic shape/dimensions are there...

So this is a wandoo headplate on a sassafras headstock...

Img

(notice the euro-patriotic photo composition Wink)

Unfortunately I have had issues with my rosette... it didn't stand the process of making it flush with the soundboard (at least part of it did not). I think the grove I cut was too shallow, so I need to give it another try. No worries...

Take good care and thanks for watching :D

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.