I want to do what you do!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Re: I want to do what you do!

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:00 pm

liam_fnq wrote:
Those kerosene baths for the oldies were a bit of a rookie mistake too though Kim, given their proximity to the timber stores. No one wants you to make that mistake again.

Yeah spose that was a bit of a blunder Liam but we learn from our mistakes and I am pleased to say we've switched to neat DDT now. I got a good deal on a container load of the 'real' strong stuff imported direct from China. Filled an old cattle dipping run with it that I converted to allow the zimmer frames through. The DDT is so safe you can even flick ya ciggie butts in it between push'n heads under with the yoke stick and it won't even catch fire. Just need to recharge the batteries in the prods to get'em mov'in on mov'in up rawhide, and we will be back in full swing at Matron.
Pull me Finga

blazemite
Kauri

Post by blazemite » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Hey I'm in a similar predicament to you, I'm year 12 and looking to get into luthiery, I reckon the best way is just to start building one .... Sofar I've built an acoustic, electric and half done a ukelele ... If you just get stuck into it it isn't actually that hard ...

Plus you got a maton customs guy ther to help you, he probs will have some bending irons n stuff there for you to use ........

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Now that's the spirit. Cool
Pull me Finga

Geoffro6
Gidgee

Post by Geoffro6 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm

yeah blazemite I've seen guitars in vices and stuff there before i think I'll go have another talk to him soon

blazemite
Kauri

Post by blazemite » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm

hahah not that its particularly related to this ..... im after an implement to bend my sides .... am i better of with a bending iron or a heat blanket ?
sofar i have been using the side of my wood fire heater thing ...... not that im complaining...

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Blaze, you are the man. Im waiting to hear how you cut binding channels with your teeth! no... seriously,

When I was in your position an experienced bling king (Bob) told me to buy a bending iron as that way I would get to know how timber bends by feeling it in your hands and that whatever happened after that I would always know it much better. He was right, that was good advice. Buy an Ibex Iron from ALS or someone like that.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:04 pm

I've seen youtube video of blokes in Sth America bending on the flue of a wood fired stove.

they didn't always have blankets and ibex heaters.

Cairns Loon.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah well thats nothin'...

I go for a long bike ride and when I get back I bend my sides over my searing hot shaved thighs.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I bend my sides by starring at them intently with that manly look that only a builder who doesn't follow rugby can muster. For the more difficult species I will sometimes remove my shirt and lift my right arm to scratch the back of my neck. If I ever encounter a problem after that, which I haven't, my plan is to push out my bottom lip, lower my brow, and breath in deeply through my nostrils, but as I say, such forcefulness has never been required however it is good to have a plan "B" up your sleeve, metaphorically speaking of cause, because we all know that real men don't wear them.

Cheers

Kim
Pull me Finga

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm

yeah, but we're talking guitar sides
Quote:
Yeah well thats nothin'...

I go for a long bike ride and when I get back I bend my sides over my searing hot shaved thighs.

Cairns Loon.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:08 pm

I do something stupid, like existing, and just before I recieve that Evil or Very Mad look from the guitar widow, I hold up the sides as a shield and they bend like butter. Then I quietly retire to the workshop followed by that other look Rolling Eyes

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Uri Geller method for me

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.