"Heaven Sent"

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

John Maddison
Blackwood

"Heaven Sent"

Post by John Maddison » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:40 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

I've just watched a fascinating docco tonight on Australian ABC1 TV tonight titled Heaven Sent about a Geelong-based Harp Maker, Peter Roberts, who plays his exquisite instruments in hospitals to both new-born babies, and to those people in palliative care who have terminal illnesses. Peter's website has some fascinating content, and in case you missed the original broadcast it is to be repeated on ABC1 early afternoon on Saturday the 19th of June at 12.30pm. If you have ever been interested in the powerful effects music that can have on human life it is well worth viewing.

Last edited by John FM on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Re: "Heaven Sent"

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:42 pm

G'day John,

I seen that program last night too! Pity there wasn't more on the building process. Do you know if he learnt the art of Harp building at the course he attended in the USA? Fasinating program anyway and he is a very passionate man regard his music. I like that!

Cheers

Alan

Alan R Hamley

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:43 pm

hi Alan ... It seems Peter did not start to build harps until 1998, which was after his program of study in thantology in the US.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I have been trying to figure out how to blend music and healing - I was just talking about this earlier today! I had read about a guy who has been working with musical sounds and autistic children, and he had been able to get at least one autistic child who rarely spoke to speak.

I am so appreciative that you posted this, John! Most of the videos on Robert's site don't work ("waiting for video"), but I saw one with the simple "Reverie Harp" and instantly connected with it on a level beyond words and instantly understood (at least a glimpse of) what Robert is doing with patients and children.

Thanks!

Dennis

p.s. In attempting to watch the ABC1 special: "Due to copyright reasons this video program is available for download by people located in Australia only. If you are not located in Australia, you are not authorised to view this video." If anyone knows a way around that, please let me know. I could supply an FTP address and password to upload it, if someone could capture it. That would be huge, and a last resort if I cannot see it any other way.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Dennis

The Australian Broadcasting Commission has another online website called iView where programs can be accessed, though it requires a fairly fast broadband connection. I notice that last night's "Heaven Sent" program is listed on the iView website as of today (it's labelled as 'Australian Story :: 14 June 2010'), so give that a go. If it doesn't work in countries outside Australia let me know and I'll see what else can be done to get a copy. I have Real Player software on my home PC which is capable of downloading .FLV (Flash movies) from websites such as YouTube and the like.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi John, and thanks.

Same result though ("Due to copyright reasons this video program is available for download by people located in Australia only. ...")

I seem to recall someone there, possibly someone there with a name that rhymes with "cob" Laughing who may know how to get around the country restriction.

Thanks for the thought of downloading and uploading it, but let's wait and see if someone knows how I can view it online.

Dennis

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Reverie Harp: Designed and invented by Musicmakers in Stillwater, MN in collaboration with Australian music thanatologist Peter Roberts, the Reverie Harp is fast becoming a must-have tool for music therapists, visitation ministers/chaplains, activity directors, and nursing homes care-givers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SRpTQ_v9H-c

This is, of course, just one facet of what Peter Roberts is doing, and I'd like to know more.

Dennis

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Dennis - there is an app called hidemyip.

I use it to access Pandora. I don't know if it possible to access Australian ip's with it but it might be worth a look.

If Becks are a sponsor next year I guess we'll just have to give East Augusta a miss.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks Bob.

A perfect tool for you in Oz when you want to see country-protected content originating from the UK (BBC) and US (Paris Hilton, naked, discussing politics with a jellyfish) and where the incoming IP address is checked.

However for me, the list of countries for the fake IP address (US, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, and Hong Kong) won't make me look like a web surfing Aussie.

Dennis

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Dennis

see PM

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:53 pm

John FM wrote:
Hi Dennis

see PM
Got it, John, and replied. Thanks!

Dennis

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:54 pm

John FM wrote:
Hi Dennis

see PM
John,

I got the DVD, than you so much for taking the time to do that! The audio is perfect; the video scrolls, but I will try a few converters to see if it will allow me to see the video. Just listening to the audio was a moving story.

Onya!

Dennis

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Got it! Didn't have to convert it, just downloaded and installed the latest VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html) and it plays in my computer.

Thanks again, John!

Dennis

Matt_W
Gidgee

Post by Matt_W » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:
......."Due to copyright reasons this video program is available for download by people located in Australia only. If you are not located in Australia, you are not authorised to view this video." .......

If all else fails, use a free proxy server located in Australia, so it looks like you are in Oz. My work mate did that cause he wanted to watch the Irish Hurling match his brother was playing in, but it wouldn't stream outside Ireland. Rented a proxy server in Ireland for a month for $10, so it looked like he was downloading from inside Ireland.

I'm sure a free one would work for a bit.

Matthew

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:56 pm

I was able to get it to play on my computer's DVD player, though it did drop a few frames about every 30 seconds. I could play it on my home DVD player with flawless audio (but scrolling video.) Finally, ABC.net.au lifted the restriction for streaming the episode.

As you can probably guess, I was very moved by Peter Roberts story. I'm looking into a variant (http://www.mhtp.org/) of the program that he studied.

Dennis

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:
... Finally, ABC.net.au lifted the restriction for streaming the episode ...
Good old 'Aunty ABC' as we affectionately call our national broadcaster. Glad you got to view the program, Dennis, without all the techno dramas. Cheers!

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks again to John Maddison ("John FM") for publishing the original post about Peter Roberts, then for taking the time to get a copy of the televised video off to me in the US! Onya, John!

Today, I was accepted into a program called Music for Healing and Transition Program (MHTP) and start my first module/classes on this coming Saturday. I'm really excited about this, as it feels right and feels like a good fit for my desire to do this type of service.

Wish me luck!

Dennis

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Dennis, I don't think you'll need any luck. I know you will be a natural. You are a kind, loving soul with a talent for music. What more do you need?

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Congratulations on walking that first step, Dennis ... I'm sure you'll take to it with great passion Wink.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Onya Dennis Cool

With a heart the size of Phar Lap's (6.2kg) your a natural for this mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phar_Lap

Cheers

Kim
Pull me Finga

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Lillian, John, and Kim, thanks much for the encouragement!

Oh, to have Phar Lap's heart...

Dennis

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.