A loss to the lutherie community

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

esomogyi
Kauri

A loss to the lutherie community

Post by esomogyi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

Hi, everyone:

This will be a different kind of post than my others; it's more of an announcement, press release and request, all rolled into one.

The guitar making community lost a valued member on Thursday February 11, when Japanese-American luthier Taku Sakashta was killed outside of his workshop in Rohnert Park, California. It appears to have happened during a robbery. Taku is survived by his wife Kazuko. As she worked for and with Taku, she now is bereft of an income as well as a husband. Rohnert Park is about a hour north of San Francisco by car; it's also about an hour north of my own shop.

Those who knew Taku knew him to be a uniquely hard-working individual as well as a luthier of rare talent. I knew him for 15 years, admired him, and considered him to be a friend -- as all of us in this region did. Taku brought a very Japanese aesthetic to his work that imbued his guitars with a cleanness of line that bespoke of the traditional Japanese rock garden. His workmanship was imaginative, original, and preternaturally clean.

Friends in the lutherie community have moved to set up a memorial trust fund for Kazuko. Anyone who would like to be helpful is invited to make a donation into it.

For those wishing to send a check or money-order, it should be made out to either Kazuko Sakashita or to Taku Sakashta Guitars (NOTE: ‘Sakashita’ is pronounced ‘Sakashta’): the account is in both these names.

Donations should be sent to: Wells Fargo Bank
c/o account No. 7478-148203
Elmwood branch
2959 College Avenue
Berkeley, California, 94705

For those wishing to send a wire transfer of funds, it should be sent to the same account at the same bank, under the same name, and to the wire transfer-routing ABA number 121-000-248.

For those wishing to send woods, tools, materials, or anything else that cannot be sent into a bank account, luthier Tom Ribbecke has volunteered to be a repository of such more concrete donations, until they can be sold at auction together with Taku’s tools and woods. This will happen as soon as the family and close friends can organize such an effort.

Shipping of these donations should be made to Sakashta Memorial Fund, c/o Ribbecke Guitars, 498-D Moore Lane, Healdsburg, California, 75448. Tom gave me permission to also pass on his work phone number for anyone who feels the need to call him in regard to these matters: it is (707) 431-0125.

I’ll post updates as there is anything to update about -- including news of a burial and/or memorial service. I understand that most of the people reading this will be too far away to actually come to a memorial, but we thank everyone beforehand for any help that they can extend. I was the recipient of much generosity when my shop burned down in 1991 and I have to tell you that having people support me in any way at all was a life-saver. It was like finding water in the middle of the desert. And it’ll be the same for Kazuko.

Sincerely, Ervin Somogyi
Mon-Wed-Fri: If you don't succeed at first, well, then maybe skydiving isn't for you.
Tu-Thu-Sat: Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.
Sun: Day off.

Bob Connor
Admin

Re: A loss to the lutherie community

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi All

This is indeed very sad and tragic news. my thoughts go out to his wife and family.

Ervin asked me to post some photos of Taku and his work which you can see below.

I'll be sending some wood through to Tom Ribbecke to help out and I'm hoping that a few others can find a way to assist here.
FIL25926.JPG
FIL25926.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 9298 times
FIL25927.JPG
FIL25927.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 9298 times
FIL25928.JPG
FIL25928.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 9298 times
FIL25929.JPG
FIL25929.JPG (36 KiB) Viewed 9298 times
FIL25930.JPG
FIL25930.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 9298 times
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 pm

That is extremely shocking and tragic news indeed. My thoughts also go out to his wife and family.

Taku's work was very original, striking and a great source of inspiration to me personally over the years since I first saw some of his work.

What a loss to the greater lutherie community. That someone with such passion, talent and future potential can be lost in circumstances such as these leaves me speechless.

Jeremy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:04 pm

I too have marvelled at photos of Takeshita-sans amazing work via his website...and have always come away wondering why I bother even thinking about trying to match such levels of perfection.

A sad loss for all and from the press reports of the crime it would appear a great man's life was ended all for the sake of a few dollars.
Martin

highfieldtonewerks
Gidgee

Post by highfieldtonewerks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:05 pm

While we never had occasion to meet Mr. Sakashita, we are familiar with his work and know some friends of his.

A tragic loss for the family, one that we can not possibly comprehend. His very unique work lives on and we have a sense that a piece of Taku is with us in each guitar that he built - as well as in the memories of those that knew and loved him.

~ Riggsy
Cheers,
Riggsy

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Along with Ervin and Toru, I was one of those who gave eulogies at Taku's funeral. It was an incredibly moving event; Ervin's comments elsewhere here on the forum were right on the mark. This was a heavy-duty, open casket funeral conducted by an absolutely enlightened Catholic priest who honored Taku's Buddhist faith, and spoke in both Japanese and English to the mourners. And Tuck Andress...what can I say? I'll never forget his fantastic and appropriate playing in honor of both Taku and Kazzie, and then when Patti sang there was not a dry eye in the place.

Upon hearing of this senseless tragety, my two luthiers and I immediately set to work planning a guitar that we're going to build to benefit Kazuko. I've also been contacted by a client who will remain anonymous who is commissioning us to build several Taku memorial guitars. We're going to include some of Taku's design elements in these guitars, and not a minute of the build process will go by without our honoring our friend.

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com