Moensch/Haile Plans or Take-offs?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

highfieldtonewerks
Gidgee

Moensch/Haile Plans or Take-offs?

Post by highfieldtonewerks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

G'day - We have been after plans or take-offs (detailed dimensions measured from an actual guitar in text format) of two builders' work for a number of years. Haskell Haile and Edgar Moensch.

We now know that most of Haskell's shop notes and working drawings ended up in a special collection at the University of Western Kentucky. Moensch's work still eludes us.

Any thoughts as to where we might turn?

MODS: If this thread should be in the plans section, please excuse the mis-post.

Bob Connor
Admin

Re: Moensch/Haile Plans or Take-offs?

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Kevin

Why do you want plans from these blokes?

Surely the plans from forum regulars like Turner, Connor, Hickey or MacFarlen would be more desirable. Very Happy

Seriously, are these guys classical builders and why are their plans more desirable than Fletas, Ramirez, Hauser's etc

I'm a steel string philistine, I'll admit, so I really don't research classical instruments and I think most of the people on the forum are the same way inclined, apart from WaddyT and Kiwigeo.

I reckon some of us know where to find resources about steel string instruments but the nylon string side still is a little elusive.

Just trying to find where you re coming from and heading to.

Regards

If Becks are a sponsor next year I guess we'll just have to give East Augusta a miss.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 pm

I'd say that this is the right spot until you find the plans in question, and as long as there aren't copyright issues, it would be great to have them included in the plans section.

Not heard of either of these fellows before, so I'm no help though.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:22 pm

I can't find anything other than bio type info on the net. I don't know anyone living in Kentucky right now either. Waddy might have more insight. If he doesn't I can try to do an inter-library loan.

highfieldtonewerks
Gidgee

Post by highfieldtonewerks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Bob:

Why do you want plans from these blokes?

Being a student of the Masters of yesterday has allowed us to continue to build on the information that we have gleaned over the years from the Masters of today that we have had the opportunity to meet in person and work with.

Surely the plans from forum regulars like Turner, Connor, Hickey or MacFarlen would be more desirable. Very Happy

Equally desirable and more readily accessed, they are. Rick was the first person we called when we were looking for timber for our very first piece. He was kind enough to refer us to a Hillbilly living in Malibu who has taught us more than anyone in the game. This gentleman got his start in guitars at Haskell Haile's farm in Kentucky and went on to tech for Jackson Browne, Mic Fleetwood, Dylan, la, la, la, etc.

Turner has also allowed us to hang about his shop in Santa Cruz for countless hours, getting in the way and being a general nuisance - he has never batted an eye. A legend, he is.

Seriously, are these guys classical builders and why are their plans more desirable than Fletas, Ramirez, Hauser's etc

Haile built both Steel strings and Classics, While Edgar Moensche - a contemporary of the Hausers and the second name on the Roster of the German Masters - built only Classics as far as we know. Our desire for these plans stems from the simple fact that we can't find them.

A bit on Haskell Haile:

- He was a KY farmer.
- If you wanted one of his guitars, you went and stayed with him for 2 weeks. He built the guitar the 1st week and finished it the 2nd, so the story goes.
- Segovia was there 3 times in his lifetime according to Haile's Scrapbooks.
- He developed Chet Atkins nylon string electric acoustic, a commercial approximation of which is marketed by Gibson.
- He was Chet's primary builder and guitar tech.
- His guitars sold for $5000+ in the early 70s.
- The Nashville session guys, including Doc Watson chased Haile guitars down to the ends of the earth.
- He is an unsung hero in the Tone Wars Wink

I'm a steel string philistine, I'll admit, so I really don't research classical instruments and I think most of the people on the forum are the same way inclined, apart from WaddyT and Kiwigeo.

I reckon some of us know where to find resources about steel string instruments but the nylon string side still is a little elusive.

Just trying to find where you re coming from and heading to.

We have scrapped together little bits of knowledge over the years and done our best to amalgamate information in an attempt to better our skills and understanding of tonality, aesthetics, and musicality. We find that any bit helps - one way or another.

A very successful businessman once told a 22yo Riggsy:

If you find someone that has what you want, do what they did and you might get there too.

Last edited by highfieldtonewerks on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 am; edited 3 times in total

highfieldtonewerks
Gidgee

Post by highfieldtonewerks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Lillian - Good on ya for doing a bit of digging. We will be taking a trip to Cali in March or April - the wife's first to NA - and may take a hop to KY if we can get a bit of information as to the nature of the Special Collection at the University.

We would certainly be interested in anything that you may find out and we will share what we find with you, gladly.

We will give the University a ring after the holidays and keep everyone posted.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:23 pm

No problem.

Mind if I ask who "we" are? I'm I to take it that there are a few members of Highfieldtonewerks?

highfieldtonewerks
Gidgee

Post by highfieldtonewerks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Lillian - Yeah, there are a few of us here... all of them in my head. It is both a Tony Robbins/Zig Ziegler training thing and an Australian custom to use the 'Royal We'.

HTW is a one-man operation with the support of a loving wife and the wider community of builders & sawmillers.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to be sure.

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.