Wood import question

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Chalks
Myrtle

Wood import question

Post by Chalks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:59 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

Originally Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi everyone.
A work colleague of mine is also a builder. Really very good nylon builder. Anyway he has just moved over from the UK and would love to bring his wood stores, prototype guitars and others. The thing is he is very apprehensive because some of the wood store and guitars are Brazilian Rosewood, all pre Cites timber so no documentation other than purchase reciepts.
The stories he has been told is that Australian Customs upon finding out the timber is Brazilian will conficate and destroy either the raw wood and/or the guitars.
Is this true?
What can be done?
Does anybody have any answers or advice?

Thanks

Greg

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Re: Wood import question

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:00 pm

If Customs inspects the shipment, and if anyone recognises the rosewood as Brazilian, then there is a very good chance it will be gone. I suggest he contact Customs and explains the position and see if he can get a written clearance before he sends it. Having receipts from before the ban (1991?) should help, but it is a tricky and complex business, and there are horror stories. From my incomplete understanding of the regulations, he might well need certificates allowing him to both get the wood out of the UK and separate certificates to get it into Australia

On the other hand I took a newly built Brazilian rosewood bodied instrument around the world a few years back with none of the necessary documentation, which in theory could have been confiscated at any of several airports, but no-one even opened the case

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Graham McDonald wrote:

On the other hand I took a newly built Brazilian rosewood bodied instrument around the world a few years back with none of the necessary documentation, which in theory could have been confiscated at any of several airports, but no-one even opened the case

cheers

graham

I reckon you'd look good on Border Patrol....watching as the mandolin playing Customs Officer gloats over his latest score....a genuine Graham Mac mandolin for nicks!!
Martin

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Hmmmm. Risky

Thanks Graham. Thanks Martin. I will pass it on.

Greg

reconstructor
Wandoo

Post by reconstructor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I agree with Graham, Talk to customs first get clearances then have it shipped. Won't work the other way round.

Originally posted by member "Robert Anderson"

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:07 pm

G'day Greg, your question prompted me to read this http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/how.shtml. From this it looks like in your mates situation he may be able to bring in the wood legally if and after he gains a list of permits.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Peter T
Kauri

Post by Peter T » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Put the wood in a condom and swallow it before jumping on the plane.

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Passed on Jim. Thanks

Big condom Pete. Maybe more like an above ground pool liner. Might need some dipping sauce.

Greg

Peter T
Kauri

Post by Peter T » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Retrieving it would be a bit messy though Greg, but then again it is Brazillian.

Pete.

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:10 pm

I dunno. Maybe that is really how it gets those beautiful deep colours and rich screamer of a voice (trying to get out).
A small price to pay I say.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Peter T wrote:
Put the wood in a condom and swallow it before jumping on the plane.

At least that way you wont get hungry during the flight and have to eat the Neil Parry designed garbage they call food.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Chalks wrote:

Big condom Pete. Maybe more like an above ground pool liner. Might need some dipping sauce. Greg

It does not matter in which context they are used, 'condom' and 'dipping sauce' should never be used in the same sentence...it's just not right I tell ya.. :-?

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:13 pm

You guys fairdinkum break me up.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have passed it on and I hope two things come of it.
1. He is successfully able to reaquaint himself with his Brazilian loves, and
2. He joins you people here. I had the pleasure of holding one of his he just recently brought in. Spruce and Amazon Rosewood. He called it his "gypsie jazz" nylon. Quite a small bodied girl it was but the voice. I was very impressed.

Anyway, again thanks to you all.

Greg

reconstructor
Wandoo

Post by reconstructor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Chalks if I am correct I have spoke with your friend before many times by e-mail and gave him all the info to contact Australian customs.
Ask him if he has spoke with Bob in Tasmania.
Ask him if its worth the risk of seeing them guitars going up in smoke.
Without talking to the ones in charge first.
Cheers, Tassie Bob

(This post was made by "Tigermyrtle" who is no longer a member of the ANZLF)

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Bob. I will ask him, though by all accounts he seemed very ignorant, but very apprehensive at the potential loss. Understandable.

He did say he tried to call Australian Customs many times from the UK. No return calls or something like that. Maybe time zone issues. He is here now so it should be much easier.

Nice of everyone to chip in so much. I will keep you all posted as things transpire, if they do. At this stage I don't think he wants to risk anything. Plus with the recent loss of a family member his focus is elsewhere.

Greg

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.