Woolson Neck Jig

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Woolson Neck Jig

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

Originally Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Here's a jig I've just knocked up for my latest builds. Thought I would post it up if anybody was interested in building a similar thing, it doesn't need to be fancy and the advantage is that it's really simple to set the angle & can be 'micro' adjusted to be perfect for slight variances in top to side angles so every neck matches it's top/body.
It's based (copied?) on the neck jig Paul Woolson designed. My previous method to cut the neck dovetails was to have a fixed 'wedge' that was made to the angle I needed & I bolted it to the front of the jig I used to cut the body dovetail.
Here's the old method first with the body in.

img~

Then with the neck wedge screwed on.

img~

This was/is ok but as the latest two guitars use a different neck angle again I didn't fancy building up a collection of neck 'wedges' so saw some pictures of Paul Woolson's adjustable neck jig (http://jimsguitarbuilding.blogspot.com/ ... n-jig.html). So I've spent some time since the earthquake building this, it just utilises bits of scrap MDF I had, some hinges I ferreted around for in the odds & Sods draw. It also uses a rack & pinion (to adjust the angle) mechanism I found in my "old decapitated instruments" collection at work but I believe this can be replaced with a simple screw thread adjuster, being an engineer I just like to add something "mechanical" :lol: Laughing.

img~

img~

It's been abit of a fluid design as I added an extra clamp screw as with just the one up near the top (on the right) & the rack & pinion, I wasn't entirely happy with the stabilty of the neck holding platform. But anyway here's a few more pics. Unlike the one in the linked blog, I decided that I wanted mine to be held to the bench by using the vice already there but also added a small shelf out the back which can be clamped if I ever change benches. I also decided that the blog one was also at too high a working height, I'm only a short arse so the router would be firing wood right into me ugly mug! It's now at a nice working height that I'm over the top of the router.

img~

img~

I also included a simple guide along the side of the template to keep it on the same centreline (doesn't need checking everytime I move it backwards or forwards). I believe the Woolson rebates the template into the top plate but seemed like alot of extra work to me! :wink:

img~

For anybody that isn't familiar with these, the body is sat on the top (neck joining face down) and the neck holding platform adjusted so that the aluminium 'beam' is at the same angle as the soundboard ramp up to the soundhole.

img~

This then makes the angle you cut your dovetail or mortice the correct neck angle. I was well chuffed when I measured at the bridge position & a fingerboard sitting between the top & ally beam.... it measured 10mm which I believe is the correct height for the bridge, pre saddle? Gotta get something right occassionally :wink:

img~
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Joe Sustaire
Myrtle

Re: Woolson Neck Jig

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for showing this Nick, looks like a good working jig!

Of course,
Joe
The only safe thing to do, is to take a chance! Mike Nichols

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for posting as well Nick. I'm looking at this with a keen eye as it solves a lot of things I don't like about my neck joint jig. I went the route with insertable templates that work well, but alignment is a PITA.
Nice work there!
J
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey Nick, I have made a similar neck angle jig with a hinged top section so I can cut archtop and flat top necks angles in one jig.

img~

How useful is the bar for setting neck angle. Is it fool proof or do you need to be very careful?

I have just been using an angle finder on the body then transfering this to the adjustable jig. If I am very careful and measure 5 times and cut once I can get pretty good fit. But I can be fiddly. And sometime I get unexplainable results.

Seems like a simple mod that could make things simpler and more accurate. Does it achieve this?
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Dominic wrote:
Seems like a simple mod that could make things simpler and more accurate. Does it achieve this?
Cheers
Dom

It makes it about a 30 second operation Dom. As long as the bar is straight to begin with! Once I've adjusted the holding plate so that the bar sits along the face & tightened my clamps, a quick eyeball to make sure nothing's moved whilst I did the clamps up & the right angle is reproduced onto your neck everytime.
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:10 pm

I have a Woolson jig pretty much as per pics in the old LMI catalogue (no it's not for sale for ANY price). To keep the neck in place here are the clamps but I also have a couple of pins on that register with the truss rod slot....this stops any sideways movement of the neck blank. No pics as Im at work right now.

Nick is your jig modified for MM4 earthquakes?? :mrgreen:
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:11 pm

All of my jigs are now rated to M7, just wouldn't want to be using it at the time! Wink
The two dark 'oblongy' shapes on my board are just some Walnut keys the same width as my truss slot, so this keeps the neck inline the same as yours Martin.

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.
"Jesus Loves You."