Work Bench and Gobar Deck

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Work Bench and Gobar Deck

Post by Kim » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:34 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

Originally Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 am

Gday,

I was perusing the OLF and seen a question come up from Ed Haney about setting up a workbench for guitar building in a small space, Ed's question went as follows.
Ed Haney wrote:
I am planning to build a workbench. Due to space constraints it will have to have one side against a wall. I was thinking something about 30" wide x 8' long and 42" high since that is my waist height (I'm tall). I'm wondering how much a face vise and dogs are used for guitar building, our would hold down slots on the table top be more useful? Do you agree with the tips that Frank Ford has on his site?

What features do you find MANDATORY?

What features are in the "NICE to have" category?

What features are a WASTE and should be avoided?

Thanks for any input you have.
Ed

As i have had to set up in a small area myself and had to come up with some unique ideas to do so, i thought i would share with Ed and posted the following.
Kim wrote:
If it is guitar specific and you will be at this for the long term, i would suggest that for all the money involved with vices, dogs, jigs and whatnot that you instead bite the bullet and consider going straight to vacuum clamping and be done with it. I say this because the foot print is small, the systems are very adaptable and you can clamp an instrument safely and get at it from every aspect without things getting in your way.

I still reckon you need to have a place to lock a radius dish in place though, and as Allan suggest, a peninsular allows access from the sides. My solution is to have a 600mm sq x 38mm thick drop leaf hinged to the middle of a longer mdf bench. When needed, (which is a lot) the leaf is swung up into position and secured with a single prop angled at 45deg back to one of the support legs of the bench, it takes all of 5 seconds to drop and then reposition the leaf. The 600mm leaf does not sound much but you need to consider that it swings out from the main bench which is 700mm wide, in effect this gives you 1300mm if you want it but i generally find i work from one side of the leaf with the neck hanging over the other. The leaf also has a hole in the centre and a "T" nut had been epoxied into the bottom. This allows a headless bolt to be screwed into the leaf and the required radius dish to be secured to the middle of the leaf via a central hole in the dish. The dish can then be moved like a lazy suzan, or you can lock it in place.

What is i like about this idea is that once in place, the drop leaf aligns with an over head 600mm sq x 38mm thick slab of mdf suspended from the ceiling by 7/8" allthread and this forms the top part of the gobar deck. There is also a length of storm water pipe attached to the allthread supports in which i store the fiberglass gobars for quick access. The top surface of the suspended deck is used for storage of various clamps and the current mold but also, as it is hard wired, there is 6 switched power outlets along the rear edge which does away with extension leads and a light built in the centre which is protected by a small 10mm thick piece of glass let in flush with the underside. This all works well as there is no uprights on the gobar deck to get in your way and the light lets you see what you are doing.

WARNING: If anyone tries this at home, just be sure to drill some good size vent holes in the mdf around the light fitting to let the heat of the lamp out or you could end up with a real fire hazard on your hands. I also sealed the mdf with thick old shellac to bond the fibers and lessen the risk, it works well.

Cheers

Kim

Ed then got back to me by PM and ask me to share some images. I have shown these a couple of times in the past but have changed PC recently so as i began to upload the images to my host site to link to the OLF and type out some explanations of what and why, i thought rather than keep this in a PM, it may help a few others here at my home forum if i just post it all at the ANZLF and give ED the link so he can drop in for a look.

Anyhow, here is my response..........

Hello Ed,

I only have some old images from when i fist set this up a few years back and my workshop was still under construction hence the shelve unit full of construction power tools etc, also i have modified a few things on the deck since.

None of these images clearly show the full support prop but it is a straight forward affair. Just make sure the hinges for the drop leaf are fitted accurately so the leaf will sit flush with the rest of the bench when folded up into position. The single 45 degree support prop is aligned with the centre of the leaf and about 3" in from the outer edge. I glued and screwed a hardwood 'capture' to the underside of the mdf leaf to receive the end of the prop. This capture is made from app 20mm sq fillet and is shaped like a shallow "U" or kind of like this..... [ I made something similar for the other end of the prop and checking the leaf sat level with the rest of the bench, it was then fixed to the bench leg. To make this all works properly, each 'end' of the support prop has two facets, a larger one, cut to bear against the underside of the leaf or the bench leg, and a smaller facet cut to sit flush with the vertical edge of it's capture. If you get this right, it will ensure the leaf always locks to that exact same position every time. Mine it is plenty strong enough, i am 6' 4" and can stand on it with no problems, in fact most of the mounting frame fixed to the ceiling was constructed with me standing on the leaf. Please excuse the ball head vice in the way.
down.jpg
down.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 13115 times
up.jpg
up.jpg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 13115 times
top.jpg
top.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 13115 times

In the following images i had not yet fixed the PVC pipe to hold the gobars but that is straight forward, just cap one end of a short length of storm water pipe and cable tie the sucker to the althread supports through some pre-drilled holes. You may also notice PVC pipe has been placed over the althread, this is done to prevent marring when putting your work piece or mold away for the day.

The support frame for the top deck up on the ceiling is pretty rough but I don't look up there too much so i just went for function Razz You will need to check your own ceiling structure to make sure it is up to the task. You need to account for the amount of 'upward' pressure the gobars will place on the ceiling when in use and also the weight of the deck itself permanently hanging from the ceiling. I done this by fixing 2, 3x2's directly into the ceiling joist over the bench. To align the overhead frame with the drop leaf i used a plumb bob and marked the pair of 2x3's. I then fixed a second pair in place at 90 degree and after checking with the plumb bob again, i drilled and fixed the 7/8" althread rods into the over hanging ends. By fixing into the over hanging ends, it gave me clearance to lock the nuts securing the 7/8" althread without the need to venture up into the ceiling cavity, which in my shed, is virtually nonexistent. It also created a kind of canter-lever effect and the whole configuration effectively spread the load over a much larger surface area. It's crude, but effective.
top frame.jpg
top frame.jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 13115 times
Once the frame was in place and the althread locked in, the top of the deck was simply clamped into place via locking nuts and washers.
all.jpg
all.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 13115 times
I have been real happy with this set up, it is very functional. In fact nearly everything in my fairly recent Matey F11 Project was done on the above 600mm x 600mm drop leaf. Yes I do set up an prep all around the shed but everything is put together on that deck and usually in a dish.

Here is a link to Ed's Original Post at the OLF if anyone want to check it out.

Hope this helps you and others Ed Cool

Cheers

Kim

xray
Blackwood

Re: Work Bench and Gobar Deck

Post by xray » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm

its a good idea kim and for those who are space concious it would definately be a welcomed addition. im impressed.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:29 pm

I think the very best feature of all it the light in the middle of the upper deck. My eye's aren't what they use to be, and I'm finding it damn near impossible to see without really good lighting.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Kim, neat little set up, the light is a good idea, I use a fluro strip in the edge fo my deck.

Allen best thing I did to improve my guitar making was have my eyes tested and then got a few pairs of cheap reading glasses for my workshop. Amazing how I could get anything lined up right before i had them, I did not realise how bad my eyes were. And the test is free.

Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:34 pm

I've got 2 pairs in the shed and one beside the bed, but I still manage to loose them. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

xray
Blackwood

Post by xray » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:35 pm

i would be investing in the surgery boys. you only live once.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Great post Kim and I too really like that integral light in your go-bar deck.

Cleaver
Wandoo

Post by Cleaver » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Kim,
Thanks for posting this. I had meant ask you for pictures when you mentioned this on the OLF. Very clever.
Link

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks all,

A question regarding the supply of 'gobar material' prompted the following response from me. As it is kind of related to this post i thought it may be helpful for others if i cut and paste it here as well.....

I bought a dozen 3mtr x 6mm 'pultruded' fibreglass rods from here:

http://www.fibreglass-resin-sales.com.au/

But i am in WA so everyone else interested in these may want to find their nearest dealer by googling "pultruded fibreglass rods".

Here is a link to results as at 26/12/09.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&safe=of ... 107d8585e1

Once i picked up the rods i then used a dremel cut off wheel to cut each of these 3mtr length into 3 x 930mm rods fitting the end of each with white rubber stoppers available from bunnies. I say 'available' from bunnies because when you need 72 of the little suckers that is where you should go to find the exact bit your after and copy down the details from the packet to make sure your buying the right part when you shop online at a fraction of their price. Anyhow this gave me 36 rods in total which i think is 'just' enough. I forget exactly what i paid for the rods now but it was not too bad, some where around $9.00 per 3mtr length i think.

Anyhow here is something else to consider. As mentioned, i made my 6mm thick rods 930mm long and this combination works out very well producing a nice 'firm' pressure when used in 'my' deck. If i were to have a shorter distance between the upper and lower surfaces of my deck then my rods would have needed to be cut 'shorter' to suit, so then i would needed to have considered using 4 or 5mm thick rods to avoid creating too much pressure. I mention this because it seems very easy to at first assume that the amount of pressure being applied by the rod is directly related to the amount of 'deflection' in the rod but it simply does not work out that way. The fact is that the amount of pressure being applied by the rod will remain pretty much unchanged from the first point in it's deflection through until it's eventual catastrophic failure.

What does affect the amount pressure a rod can apply is the relationship between the rod's 'diameter' and it's over all 'length'. I do not know the actual formula, but as an example, if my 6mm rods had been left at 3mts long so i could then use the ceiling in my glue room as the top surface of my gobar deck, then the rods would flex very easily and not be able to apply the required pressure to secure a good glue joint. If on the other hand the distance between the upper and lower surfaces of my gobar deck were only 600mm, i would need to cut the rods down to around 550mm so they would just deflect upon being compressed over a radius dish and braced top. My guess is that the energy required to deflect such 'short thick' rods would then apply far too much pressure and cause braces and bruised bits of spruce to go flying off in every direction across the workshop.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Kim

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Quote:

What does affect the amount pressure a rod can apply .......and bruised bits of spruce to go flying off in every direction across the workshop.

Hope this is helpful

Helpfull!?!
I searched the entire net for the information in this single paragraph!
Couldn't find anything relating to the "length" and "bend" required for a go-bar. Crying or Very sad
Gave up on the rest of the world and had a look here.
Should have known Wink

Thanks Kim.
Very Helpfull Indeed Very Happy
(I think I just invented a new forum acronym - VHI)
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Craig and Kim

If you are looking for the formulas, next time you are in a techincal bookshop or engineering library, have a look for a book called "Formulas for Stress and Strain" by Roark and Young. It's a bible and will have the answer to what you are looking for.

Over the years the print has shrunk on my copy and I can't read it anymore without a magnifying glass! Ill have a look next week if I remember and see if I can find the formula, if I do I'll post a scan of the relevant page. Again, its a bit academic as the trial and error method seems to work fine for everyone, but I'll have a look anyway.

Cheers
Richard

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks mate, I don't mind academic formulae at all, even if I do end up using trial & error.

I'm using graham mcdonald's suggestion of using 10mm wood dowel for the go-bars. He says to cut them the same length as the internal height of the deck.
I then got confused as the addition of a radius dish reduces the internal height by about an inch. Add the half inch bracing & the wooden dowels seem reluctant to cope well with this extra stress.
So, to cut them shorter or not?
Thus the search for info.....
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:44 pm

I just rip 15mm thick merbau fence slats from bunnies down to about 5mm x15 and then put them through the thicknesser until they are bendy enough for my liking (about 4mm) and then cut them down to a suitable length by trial and error
I get about a 30-40mm usable range for each length and I have shorter sets for gluing on backs
more stable than round bars in my opinion
and very cheap

Peter T
Kauri

Post by Peter T » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:48 pm

I too have space issues in my shed and decided to hinge my deck off one wall. It takes about 5 seconds to swing this into position with a couple of nails pinning the allthread uprights through holes in the edge off the bench.
gobar 1.jpg
gobar 1.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
gobar2.jpg
gobar2.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
gobar3.jpg
gobar3.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
I use hardwood go bars. I have put some cork on the underside of the go bar lid which stops the bars from slipping out. This enables me to put the bars on quite an angle if needed, giving a lot more control over clamping pressure and direction. The radius dishes slot into my bench with 10 mm dowels. In fact my benches have a lot of 10mm dowel holes which all sorts of jigs and work holders slip into instead of the normally bigger dog holes. I find they are more than strong enough for guitar building. If they aren't, its time to sharpen the tools I'm using. Cheaper too.

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.