flatten Japanese waterstones

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

flatten Japanese waterstones

Post by bernm » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi. I have a question about waterstones. I only recently moved to waterstones after having pretty entry-level cheapie oilstones. I'm getting good results with sharpening, but have hit the point where I need to flatten. I'm assuming some of you use waterstones, since lots of pretty quality tools are mentioned here and there in posts.

How do you flatten a waterstone, without buying a flattening stone, that is? I've seen reference to using sandpaper on plate glass, but no details. If I did it that way, what grit? Would I flatten the stone wet or dry? etc ...

Many thanks
Bern

Alfred J
Myrtle

Re: flatten Japanese waterstones

Post by Alfred J » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Try using a steel, diamond coated sharpening block. I don't know if that's how the job is supposed to be done, but I can tell you that it works with no detriment at all to the diamond coated block. The ones I have are heavily plated, similar to the type Stewmac sells as diamond fret levelers, but they aren't anywhere near long enough for that purpose, IMO. They are excellent for sharpening chisels and plane blades, and of course, leveling water stones. I picked up mine locally for about 30% less than the price Stewmac sells them for. Wet the stone well before you level it. Hope that helps.

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Check out Robbie O'Brien's video on sharpening here. There's a section on flattening water stones at around 3:25.
Steve

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:26 pm

http://www.carbatec.com.au/veritas-stone-pond_c19374
Lots of different ways to flatten stones. I got one of these stone baths and it has a plate glass lid with a thin plastic film on it. You sprinkle on grinding compound and water and rub away. Works fast with the water. Mark the surface of the stone with pencil lines and keep working until all the marks are gone.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:10 am

I do as Alfred does. I use my DTM course stone. It works a treat and I don't have to buy anything new.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 am

You can use float glass (get it from a glass / window firm) and a piece of wet/dry sandpaper taped to it as a low cost method.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:32 am

Several methods:

1. sandpaper on float glass. No need to glue the sandpaper onto the glass...just wet the paper and it will stick to the glass.
2. 90 grit grinding compound spread on plate glass. Messy but works.
3. If the floor of your garage is flat then wet a section of it and flattent the stone that way.

Ive used all three methods with a preference for the wet sandpaper method.
Martin

bernm
Sassafras

Thanks!

Post by bernm » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:48 am

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas in there. I'll probably start with the glass and wet/dry SP option, as I already have that on hand. The video is pretty good too - I saw that a while back, but before I began using waterstones so had forgotten that it was covered there.

(Glad the forum is up and running again!)

Bern

SteveG
Gidgee

Post by SteveG » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 pm

I've flattened sones really quickly with just 120 sandpaper on a machined surface like a tablesaw. As long as the stone is dry it's shocking how fast and easy it is to restore the surface. Finish with a finer grit and you're good to go.

cheers