Indian Rosewood direct from Mumbai - Review

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Re: Indian Rosewood direct from Mumbai - Review

Post by Dominic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:18 pm

I would give Mr ashparekh the benefit of the doubt here. Doing business in India is incredibly difficult at the best of times. Corruption is rife and the number of hoops someone has to jump through and the number of people in government that have to be bribed just to set up a business would have put most of us here off years ago. I am happy to do business with anyone on their own terms as longs I get my stuff and it is the quality I asked for. The business he would lose by ripping me off for a few hundred bucks would not be worth it.

If using paypal is not in his interests he probably has very good reasons that may not be best discussed on a public internet forum.

As for Paypal, bunch of sycophantic pricks I would rather never do business with again. Acting basically as an arm of the US government in trying to close down wikileaks by denying it funding for crimes that no one can yet name was a disgrace. Free speech my arse. Don’t see Paypal refusing to do business with the New York Times et al. No but happy to do what the US government wants and pick on the little guy.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Dominic wrote:
As for Paypal, bunch of sycophantic pricks I would rather never do business with again. Acting basically as an arm of the US government in trying to close down wikileaks by denying it funding for crimes that no one can yet name was a disgrace. Free speech my arse. Don’t see Paypal refusing to do business with the New York Times et al. No but happy to do what the US government wants and pick on the little guy.
Dom
Cant see how PayPal are worse than banks. In the context of this thread Im not 100% happy with PayPal but when dealing with an overseas vendor Im just not comfortable carrying all the risk in the transaction....for that reason alone I dont deal with a vendor who requires payment by bank transaction alone.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Dominic wrote:I would give Mr ashparekh the benefit of the doubt here.
I would too if there was any.
Dominic wrote:As for Paypal, bunch of sycophantic pricks I would rather never do business with again. Acting basically as an arm of the US government in trying to close down wikileaks by denying it funding for crimes that no one can yet name was a disgrace. Free speech my arse. Don’t see Paypal refusing to do business with the New York Times et al. No but happy to do what the US government wants and pick on the little guy.
Dom
I am with you there to Dom, but if you remove the emotion and consider the players and the exchange that would have taken place behind closed doors, can you still 'seriously' believe they had any choice but to do as told???

Cheers M8

Kim

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I was just having a bit of a rant and it was as much directed at the BS the US government pulls than any financial institution. But no matter, better out than in as they say.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 am

Hello All,
Today I received my shipment of tonewood from Parekh Exports, I must say I am happy with the quality & quantity.
I placed an order for 10 each of rosewood & ebony fingerboards & the same in bridge material.
I can easily make 2 bridges from 1 piece as they are a generous size.

I know there has been a fair amount of debate on this forum in regard to Parekh Exports, but for my own account I am happy for the service I have received.
Obviously if Parekh Exports were to use Paypal I'm sure more orders would be placed, generating more business, probably a lot more business.

Will I go back for more? Probably... Yes.
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

luke_lee
Sassafras

Post by luke_lee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 am

I placed an order a moth age. I only recieved part of my order yesterday, 10 bridge blanks and 5 fretboards missing.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:08 pm

LUKE_LEE wrote:I placed an order a moth age. I only recieved part of my order yesterday, 10 bridge blanks and 5 fretboards missing.
Any reasons given why the whole order didn't arrive? Was the order shipped as separate packages and one package has gone missing? Have you approached the vendor and what response if any did you receive.

This is a situation where the handling of same sorts out the good vendors from the also rans.

Watching with interest.
Martin

ashparekh

Post by ashparekh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 am

Dear Mr Luke,

I have said that the material is shipped in 2 packages. One package has come to you and other will come to you. The material has been shipped togather and it has happened with me that Australian post delivered one parcel on one day and other parcel a couple of days later. I have replied you on this immediately.

Ashok

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:44 am

Luke,

I'm wondering if you approached Ashok regarding the missing items before putting up your post? Not very fair to post that your missing stuff from an order before giving the vendor a chance to explain the situation.

Ashok, thank you for the explanation.

Cheers Martin
Martin

joolstacho
Myrtle

Post by joolstacho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Note that Ashok will not supply small quantities.
He asked me for a minimum order of 3 sets.
-Jools

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 pm

joolstacho wrote:Note that Ashok will not supply small quantities.
He asked me for a minimum order of 3 sets.
-Jools
If he's including freight in the cost of the wood then hes probably costed same assuming a larger order. For a small order youre probably better going to a local supplier.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:35 am

kiwigeo wrote:Luke,

I'm wondering if you approached Ashok regarding the missing items before putting up your post? Not very fair to post that your missing stuff from an order before giving the vendor a chance to explain the situation.

Ashok, thank you for the explanation.

Cheers Martin
Luke,

Did you receive the second package? In fairness to Ashok I'd like to see you post up the full story on your experiences. My question regarding whether or not you approached Ashok about the missing package before putting up your last post remains unanswered. Not trying to pressure you mate but we need to get a full balanced story.

Cheers Martin
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

I put in an order with Ashok, and am happy with the whole process ,
I paid Feb 1st
got an email to say item shipped 8th Feb
package arrived 7th March
The back and side sets are at 20% and need a bit of time drying before use .I knew that before I bought .

The only problem was two of the rosewood head plate veneers had been packed in with the ebony finger boards and snapped, I e mailed Ashok , he got back to me, and two replacements are on the way.

cheers Rob.
Attachments
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6688.jpg
IMG_6686.jpg
IMG_6683.jpg

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Rob, your stickering system puts the rest of us to shame. Looks too good to pull a set out and use when the time comes.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah Allen it worked well, first time I have done it that way, they need to be moved around and I was thinking of doing it with wire,but the packaging tape with its stretch sorted it out.two person job though.
Rob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm

The following quotes from this thread...viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3082&p=37508#p37508
Tim Mullin wrote:Cripes Kim, you really have it in for this fellow Parekh, but you give bugger all evidence to back up your major attitude.
I have evidence Tim and I think that most people who have been involved in this forum for a while would know that is the case or I would not say anything. 'Some' of the details have been made available in the closed administrators forum during discussion about Mr Parekh's approach, through Allen McFarlen, to be considered for preferred vendor status at the ANZLF. In light of information I provided, his past efforts to spam this forum and harvest contact details from our members list to continue that process, and his negative involvement in the above-mentioned fretboard group buy that had been put together by this forums members and turned so sour as to all but put an end to any group buys since, he was rejected as unsuitable.
Kim wrote:Boy I find that a bit rich Jeremy, not because I don't believe 'you', but because I have seen a number of warning on the internet myself about Mr Ashok Parekh.
Tim Mullin wrote:Can you point to one?
My position on that has already been made quite clear. Should Mr Parekh invite those links to be posted in the open forum, they will be. He can then attempt to defend against the accusations in them 'and' still try to convince people that leaving his customers with no recourse is not the only reason direct funds transfer is the only way he will do business. But I don't think he wants that to happen, and I remain uncertain of the position in which I would leave this forum should I post those links openly without that invite. I will say that upon request I have made some of what I have found available via PM to a few long standing members of this forum who are not part of its administration team. However you have limited involvement at this forum Tim and I don't feel in anyway answerable to you nor compelled to provide 'you' with anything whatsoever as your opinion carries little weight with me....In other words, you will need to come to terms with the search function of this forum and learn how to use Google yourself. Then you can do your own digging, its still there because I just checked. :wink: However I will continue to address some of your other questions in clarification for others who may be interested.
Kim wrote:... according to Bob C of RC Tonewood fame, based upon his direct dealings with Mr Parekh, it only appears on the surface that he has some sort of ownership connection to a saw mill in India. At least that is how the language makes it appear when dealing with him...but he is only a middle man and the wood he supplies to his customers could come from any number of mills depending entirely upon when you order, and who is selling to him at that point in time....

Tim Mullin wrote:Of course he's a middle man -- so is Bob C -- in as much as he's not running the mill or managing the stands from which his wood is sourced. What "language" have you seen that would suggest otherwise? Certainly nothing on his website.

Their certainly is if you know the history.......learn to use the search function.
Kim wrote:I guess that is why some now rave about Ashok in that other thread whilst those who where unfortunate enough to get caught up in the ANZLF fretboard group buy debacle of a few years back, in which Mr Parekh had direct involvement
Tim Mullin wrote:You mentioned the "group buy debacle" before in "that other thread", but I can't find anything with the search of either ANZLF or OLF about the debacle, or Parekh's alleged "direct involvment", so let's have a link please.
Look for it yourself Tim, I am not your office girl.

Those members who have been around for a while or were part of that group buy will remember that BobC got the run around by an "Indian Supplier" who was meant to ship our shitload of fretboards ex India, direct to AU. This supplier was claiming "his saw mill had burnt down" and there would be a delay in supplying the order. They should also recall that as the matter dragged on, BobC eventually informed us he was having trouble contacting the "Indian Supplier" as the guy was no longer respond to any emails. Bobc ended up having to partially fill the order from his own stocks, which killed the deal in respects of shipping cost, and look elsewhere to find stock to finish the deal. But what most do not know, is that the original Indian supplier did not refund the money we had paid BobC and that was a substantial amount of cash. BobC was forced to dig his hand into his own pocket to fill the order.

BobC thought he had done his money, but once our order was filled and sent to Allen, the original order from the "Indian Supplier" turned up 'unannounced' at New York harbour all most a year late if I recall correctly...BobC stated to me that the wood was all rubbish, virtually unsalable, but the Indian vendor would offer no refund until BobC found someone to take the entire consignment in the USA.....I think it is only fair that it be made public on this forum that BobC warned me via PM that the original "Indian Supplier" was indeed Ashok Parekh of Parekh Exports.
Kim wrote: whilst I hate to generalise, it must leave one to wonder at the aversion to paypal??
Tim Mullin wrote:He doesn't take credit cards either. It's time you gave the Paypal endorsements a rest -- it's not as if legitimate business doesn't occur around the globe without them (and has done for years). You're free to buy from whomever you want, but it's "a bit rich" to slander someone based on his choice of what payment options he's offering. Personally, I don't want to deal with Paypal and have no issues with bank transfers, and my money is as good as yours.

Based on MY direct dealings with Mr. Parekh, he is a polite businessman who wants to promote his offerings and deliver on his promises. Yes, his manner and style may seem a little strange to non-Asian ears, but not at all unusual when compared to the way businesses operate in many parts of the world. I'm happy to deal with him and will continue to do so. I'm a little tired of Kim's repeated bashing the poor guy at every opportunity -- while offering NO documented evidence for his claims -- only hearsay and conjecture.
Please do not misrepresent my comments as an endorsement of Paypal Tim. My comments is directly related to this fellow's aversion to using 'any' method of payment that could give the buyer some recourse should things go wrong e.g. Paypal or Credit Card. Having seen some of the negatives I can understand why...something about no longer responding to emails once a complaint is raised..... As to my allegedly "repeatedly bashing the poor guy"...Let me make my motives very clear. You can count on me making my thoughts known when ever a post is raised on this forum which involves this particular vendor. That is because it is very important to me that no one 'ever' mistakes Parekh Exports as having some legitimacy at this forum or have some how been endorsed by the ANZLF. I will continue to voice what I know so long as the high risk circumstance of dealing with this vendor which sees the buyer with no recourse should things go wrong remains i place. This is because as an administrator of this forum, I do not want the finger pointed at the ANZLF in anyway..we have all seen the current situation at the OLF and I wish to ensure that there can be no guilt by association leveled against us because of this bloke and this thread.

So let me be quite clear for anyone considering buying wood from this fellow. Ashok Parekh of Parekh Exports had approached this forums administration team through Allen McFarlen with a view to be considered for association with the ANZLF as a preferred vendor. He was rejected. This is to say that the majority of the ANZLF forum administration team does 'NOT' endorse or encourage trading with Parekh Exports. This decision was not made with a view that we as a team know what is best for our members, rather it was taken with the view that we as a team know what is best for this forum. Therefore should any member chooses to deal with Parekh Exports, they will be doing so at their own risk.

It has also become quite evident that Mr Parekh, in communication with those members of this forum with whom he has had dealings, is requesting they make open endorsements of his business here at the ANZLF. In consideration of the earlier request made of him to desist spamming on this forum or be removed from our members list, I 'personally' see any such endorsements as solicited and a continuation of that process by proxy. The bottom line is that as a group, the administrators of this forum do encourage our members to share their positive experiences openly, however I personally question if this particular vendor should be given any exposure here whatsoever considering that spamming us and harvesting our list for email addresses was his very fist approach to drumming up business here....but that remains my own personal opinion.

Cheers

Kim

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Kim , Tim and whomever else in this debate it may concern:- I value your presence, honesty and opinions. I am confident I am not alone here. Kim has a history and hence a reason for an opinion, endorsed by those who bring us this opportunity, and has taken a deal of time in explanation. Thanks Kim.
I do not see why this Indian dude 'supplier' should rate more air-time than others, be they preferred vendors or not, and for bugger-all good reason valuable members are delivering slights.
Kim and others have their's, others have theirs. All cool; but no slights in the family please.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 pm

The only vendors that have been sanctioned by the ANZLF are those that appear in our preferred vendors section.

These are the vendors that have a long history of exemplary service to the luthiery industry.

If you purchase from vendors other than the ones that we recommend and you get burned it's your own fault.

If individual members want to recommend vendors that aren't recommended by the ANZLF they most certainly can.

If you purchase from these vendors it is at your own risk and it is not at the recommendation by the ANZLF.

You have every right to buy your tonewood from wherever you want.

I just don't want to see anyone ripped off.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 am

This vendor has spammed me occasionally for quite a few years now, so I have been readng this thread with some interest. I never respond to spam so never contacted him and won't in the future. A quick google search will soon tell you that Parekh Exports is not a specialist tonewood supplier, they export many other things from India, and the reviews are mixed, i.e. good and bad. Added to this is the fact that he will not take credit cards or use Paypal, but being based in India that is not surprising. I always use credit cards for International purchases, and occasionally an international cheque for trusted vendors so this is a problem, but certainly not insumountable. So, dealings with this vendor has RISK written all over it IMHO. If you are willing to take the risk in order to save a few dollars, then that is fine, you may be a happy camper. Obviously there are some happy campers, and that is great. Get burned and it is your fault, you accepted the risk, so don't complain if the deal goes pear shaped. Personally the risk is too high for me and I deal with Allied and more recently Scott Wise who lives in Margaret River WA. Scott sent me 10 Indian Ebony guitar fingerboards with an invoice, so for me the risk was zero. If I was unhappy I could have returned them for the cost of postage, but I very happily did the EFT since the quality was excellent. I can barely believe that he classed them as B grade. So, you pay a bit extra for zero risk, but taking into account shipping costs there is not a massive difference. Personally I would rather pay the extra, be stress free, and support an Aussie colleague, but that is my choice. There are plenty of scumbags on the net trying to relieve you of your hard earned cash. I get at least a few enquiries every year that are fairly obviously fishing for a free instrument. So, beware, understand the risks before jumping.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

luke_lee
Sassafras

Post by luke_lee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response.

The second package arrived 1 and a half weeks later.
Martin, I was simply explaining my experience, I waited a month for my order and when it arrived it was not complete. At the time of my last post I was unaware there were two packages sent. At no time did I suggest the missing items were Ashok fault.

Thanks Luke

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:32 pm

LUKE_LEE wrote:Hi,

Sorry for the slow response.

The second package arrived 1 and a half weeks later.
Martin, I was simply explaining my experience, I waited a month for my order and when it arrived it was not complete. At the time of my last post I was unaware there were two packages sent. At no time did I suggest the missing items were Ashok fault.

Thanks Luke
Hi Luke,

Your intial post simply stated that youd waited a month and then only part of the order had arrived. Ashok then posted and mentioned the second package and he also gave the impression that he'd told you there would be two packages. Did you make enquiries to Ashok about the missing goods before posting? All this wasn't clear from your initial post.

Of course I may have got it all totally wrong.

Cheers Martin
Martin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:50 pm

I have removed a post from here from Ashparek as it contravenes the the terms of use of this forum ie we do not allow advertising here unless it is from an approved vendor.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Kim wrote:I have evidence Tim and I think that most people who have been involved in this forum for a while would know that is the case or I would not say anything.

... you have limited involvement at this forum Tim and I don't feel in anyway answerable to you nor compelled to provide 'you' with anything whatsoever as your opinion carries little weight with me...

It has also become quite evident that Mr Parekh, in communication with those members of this forum with whom he has had dealings, is requesting they make open endorsements of his business here at the ANZLF. In consideration of the earlier request made of him to desist spamming on this forum or be removed from our members list, I 'personally' see any such endorsements as solicited and a continuation of that process by proxy.
....but that remains my own personal opinion.

Cheers

Kim
Obviously, I'm quickly forming my own opinion on the ANZLF administration and the manner in which they are dealing with this person (and me), but there's no point discussing that point here.

However, let me be very clear about one fact -- I cannot speak for others who have posted on this forum, but I have never been approached by Mr Parehk to make any "open endorsement", here or elsewhere. Some members have asked for experiences, particularly negative ones, from those who have dealt with this supplier. I don't see anyone "raving" about or promoting this non-forum-endorsed supplier, but merely sharing their experience with other members. I'm not bothered if the weight of member experience doesn't seem to jive with the administrators' opinion -- after all, it's the internet! I take it all in, make my own assessment of risk and value, and accept responsibility for the outcome. Of course, the vendor who knows I'm an ANZLF member should think twice about screwing me -- if that happens, it's gonna be all over cyberspace and others will know.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Tim Mullin wrote:
Obviously, I'm quickly forming my own opinion on the ANZLF administration and the manner in which they are dealing with this person (and me), but there's no point discussing that point here.
I don't see any evidence of Ashok being dealt with unfairly by this forum's administrators. Ashok joined this forum purely to further his business interests and and promptly began advertising his business by way of posts and PM/s/emails to members in contravention of forum rules and guidelines. He's done this on numerous occasions and and on numerous occasions he's been asked to desist....his latest post suggests he hasn't yet got the message.

Kim has directed a few comments in your direction in his usual in your face tell it like it is style but even I've been on the receiving end of same..I don't see any evidence of you being treated unfairly by Kim or any of the other administrators. Note also that Kim is usually very careful to qualify his comments as personal in nature rather than representing the opinions of the forum administrators.

Regards Martin
Martin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Tim Mullin wrote: Obviously, I'm quickly forming my own opinion on the ANZLF administration and the manner in which they are dealing with this person (and me), but there's no point discussing that point here.

Well I'd like to know what your opinion is because your post has appeared immediately after I removed the offending post so it appears to be directed at me.

This bloke posted in contravention to the forum rules.

I removed the post.

End of story

What's wrong with that?
Bob, Geelong