Nato (Nyatoh)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

BillyT
Blackwood

Nato (Nyatoh)

Post by BillyT » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:34 pm

I've been looking for Nato! It's refered to as "asian mahogany". Kind of has a mahogany look to it but more yellow and lighter. Considering it's found more in the orient you southern hemisphere boys are a lot closer to it than I am. Do you guys know a source for it?

It's for a repair I don't need a great deal of it.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Billy,

Nice to see you pop your head in. The only nayatoh i have at hand is some old balusters from my stairmaking days and these are stop fluted 40mm x 40mm by about 500mm. I know it is available around the place but it has been a long time since i looked. If what i have will help you out, let me know and you are welcome to it if you pay freight. If not maybe one of the other guys will jump in.

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Good to see you again Billy. Hope that you can stop buy more often. We need someone to keep Kim in line. He's been getting a little unruly of late.

As for the wood, I don't have any on hand so I'm not much good to you. Just wanted to say Hi.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:37 am

Well, dang it's about time you found your way out of the woodwork.

I stopped by a local hardware chain this morning that I don't normally frequent for something. I decided to wander through their wood section in hopes of finding some maple. No luck with that, but I did find some mahogany. It's label Mahogany, but I'd call it Nato. It's more blonde than not and it's courser grained than South American mahogany. I didn't know you were looking for some and I was in a hurry, so I wasn't looking at prices. Let me know if you want me to go back and pick some up for you.
Last edited by Lillian on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 am

It's very commonly used on guitars made in Indonesia and China for the American market, and it's often lightly stained to make it virtually indistinguishable from mahogany (whatever that is!) in the final product. Samick, for instance, uses a lot of nato.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:39 am

Most of the internal doors in my house are Nyatoh.....

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 am

Welcome back Billy.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 pm

>> Well, dang it's about time you found your way out of the woodwork

I wasn't in the woodwork I was in prison! They got me for impersonating a human being! It's a bum rap! I never acted like a human being! LOL!! (If you've heard me use that one before..F off..I like it!! :D )

Yeah, like Rick says, Nato comes from Asia I thought the likelyhood would be much better with you guys. Playing hell trying to find some around here. All I really need are some plane savings to cover a bad glued over gouge. Mahogany is just a little too dark to get right but the grain is virually indistingusable from mahogany(whatever that is!), again as Rick says. LOL!

I wonder why more people don't carry it over here. The stuff is typically dirt cheap and has a very even grain.

Thanks for the greeting M8's !!! It's good to see you guys too!

>> We need someone to keep Kim in line. He's been getting a little unruly >> of late.

Ah! Well... good luck wit that! Just keep your fingers away from his mouth and you should be fine! :roll: :lol:

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Billy, I have some Indian Mahogany that was grown locally (who knows what that really is), but it's a rather silvery color. It might be what your are talking about. I can get some to you if that's what you're talking about.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Would you like me to send pictures of their offerings?

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 am

No Thanks L!! Kim came through! Gave me some great shavings, exactly what I needed. Some other cool looking stuff called Myall! Never heard of it before. It's pretty dense! Heavy stuff! Could make a good FB! I wood guess.