Newbie wanting to buy an acoustic/electric

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 am

Hi all,
What do you guys think about this guitar on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... Track=true
[/url]

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am

500 bucks with case!
Handmade by many little Chinaman (or probably women) in one of their "Handmade factories" I would assume. Subtle things would give it away for me, no headstock inlay or identification at all. Most reputable luthiers would put their mark on it somewhere. The fret ends look chamfered but unfinished (square corners) but most of all the price would suggest China, especially with all that "hand inlayed" Abalone. Cant see entirely from the pictures because it's covered in stain but they claim it has a "Maple" neck, not impossible but I would wonder about the balance of the instrument if it is truly Maple. Also looking at the sellers other listings they like to stress SOLID TIMBERS on alot of their Handcrafted instruments which to me,at least, would say that while they might be solid timbers, I would wonder about the quality of said solid timbers. AAA Canadian spruce for the soundboard...many different varieties are grown in Canada so which one is it? And grading varies between suppliers. One man's AA is another's AAAA.
Very much depends on what you want, if you want a cheap guitar to play at home or to belt out 'Ten Guitars' at parties then this is probably a good deal, the first thing I would do is take it out of the shipping packaging and treat it to a set up because it no doubt will be a little 'off' I would guess even tho the advertiser makes it sound like it's had a top quality setup.
If you want a guitar that will be with you for the rest of your life and give you constant joy then I would be looking for something else. You said in your original post that you had about $1500 to spend. Personally I would be looking at guitars closer to that mark and with an established or known name on them.

Just my opinion, so just something for you to add to the pot in your quest.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Antipode
Wandoo

Post by Antipode » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:05 pm

With the risk of being borish.
Friend of mine, been playing for 45 years and is bloody good, has shop - guitars.
He plays and I munt.
The other week he said "Look at these...." One Takumine and one Greg Bennett. We did everything but steam the buggers apart. Mirrors, lights, calipers, intonation at every fret.... the lot. Differences were three. Peghead, name on sticker and price. Soundwise we both prefered the GB - just. The woods were identical, the quality of build was identical and so was everything through to the piezos, preamps and EQs. The big difference was the price - $750 v $2750. Two grand for a name dropping ego buzz? We studied the GB with a magnifying headset looking for a blemish, something to explain it's relative cheapness and found nothing. There are two more "names" down the line that we have picked "seconds" and "thirds" as going to. "Seconds" can be as little as a small finish blemish that most would not even notice. Chances are the sound would not be effected at all.
Was having our weekly catchup yesterday and the Takumine was gone. Sold Saturday. Punter tried Takumine and GB. Had heard Takumine was good so was happy to fork the extra 2k. Go figure - my mate was fair giggling.
Time was on my side but the relationship is feeling a bit shakey :)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Takamine.......its Takamine.

Sorry...the wife is Japanese and I speak the lingo.

Buying guitars off Ebay is fine but if you buy a guitar without playing it first youre mad.

My opinion of the Ebay instrument......theyve obviously spent alot of time on the fancy tree of life inlay on the fretboard..I just hope theyve spent as much time and effort on the rest of the instrument.

Bottom line...play it...if you like it....buy it.

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:07 am

Kiwigeo...no, it's Italian and originally it was "Take-a-Mine" As in one guy busted a string on his guitar and the other guy was offering him his own guitar to play...

Isn't that it?
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

HiString
Beefwood

Post by HiString » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:38 am

Will,

Are you watching that LH Gibson on Ebay?

8)
Music creates a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:27 am

Rick Turner wrote:Kiwigeo...no, it's Italian and originally it was "Take-a-Mine" As in one guy busted a string on his guitar and the other guy was offering him his own guitar to play...

Isn't that it?
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's like the word Specimen Rick...It's the Italian word for Astronaut.
Kiwigeo wrote: My opinion of the Ebay instrument......theyve obviously spent alot of time on the fancy tree of life inlay on the fretboard..I just hope theyve spent as much time and effort on the rest of the instrument.
Didn't spend quite as much time on the rear binding, there's a gap between it and the back on the shot of the cutaway rear view.

And I would mirror Martin's last comment, if you like it...go for it but remember, you get what you pay for these days.

Antipode, that may be the case. The two may not visibly be any different from each other but I wonder if in 20 years time which one will still be playing the same way it is today(with regards to neck stability, soundboard bellying e.t.c).
I can go down to Bunnings and buy a 13mm XU1 gun drill for $25, looks identical to the Black and Decker I've had for 30 years (apart from maybe the colour) but I know which one will have smoke coming out of it first after drilling several 12mm holes in metal.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:55 am

HiString wrote:Will,

Are you watching that LH Gibson on Ebay?

8)
Yeah, watching, waiting and hoping.

Will

Antipode
Wandoo

Post by Antipode » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi Nick and all - did not mean to offend with wrong spelling.
Nick - from a thorough inspection of the two. They were IDENTICAL down to everything but plotting the grain patterns in the bracings.
Which one will be better in 20 year's time? Guess that depends on treatment but for mine the GB had a head start.
Bunnings and drill guns?
Funnily enough you might find a pickup in an Ashton guitar that suits YOU better than the best Dunk Seymour does. Same mate I was talking about in previous post put high-priced DS's into his Karina (Epiphone run-on Tele) and promptly replaced them with the originals. That said he put DS soapbars in his Karina Les Paul and was drooling.
As for drill guns - what tuning are you using? Never found one I liked the sound of yet. Black and Decker good - you got a rare one mate.
Time was on my side but the relationship is feeling a bit shakey :)

willcall
Blackwood

Re: Newbie wanting to buy an acoustic/electric

Post by willcall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi all,

Well it's been a while since I posted anything and thought I would update this thread as well as pose a new question.

I ended up purchasing a new Maton EGB808 in LH. It took 3 months to arrive which surprised me. The guitar looks pretty good but the build quality isn't what I was hoping for. (I know you all warned me about that!) For example, the frets from #14 up are all cut too deep and have been filled, there are a few cracks in the binding an a minor crack in the backboard. I'm not complaining though as it isn't meant to be on display. I just thought that their quality control would be a little better.
Is 2 neck straightenings in 10 months normal?

Anyways, I am looking at buying my wife a guitar. She really likes the size of the Mini Maton and thankfully she is right handed so I can pick one up pretty easily and for under $800 with a case off Ebay.
However, ever trying to please my wife and knowing that the Mini Maton is a real plain Jane I was wondering roughly how much a ANZLF builder could build one for. Not trying to low-ball anyone, just interested in the comparison.

I was thinking Fiddleback Tas. Oak for the Back & Sides, Qld. Maple neck (or fiddle back again), sheaoak bridge and binging (or similar) some MOP dots and inlay.

She loves a 'pretty' guitar and her Birthday is coming up as well as her graduation from her PHD so it could be a good present.

Any thoughts?

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Will

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:40 pm

willcall wrote:Hi all,

Well it's been a while since I posted anything and thought I would update this thread as well as pose a new question.

I ended up purchasing a new Maton EGB808 in LH. It took 3 months to arrive which surprised me. The guitar looks pretty good but the build quality isn't what I was hoping for. (I know you all warned me about that!) For example, the frets from #14 up are all cut too deep and have been filled, there are a few cracks in the binding an a minor crack in the backboard. I'm not complaining though as it isn't meant to be on display. I just thought that their quality control would be a little better.
If the Maton was mine I'd be going back to the shop and either getting another guitar or my money back. Filled in frets that are visible is a bit sloppy but cosmetic in nature. However cracks in the binding and particularly on the back are more serious.

By neck straightening do you mean adjustments to the truss rod to adjust neck relief or are you talking about surgery on the neck wood itself? truss rod adjustments on a new guitar are normal.....neck straightening isnt.

Cheers Martin
Martin

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
willcall wrote:Hi all,

If the Maton was mine I'd be going back to the shop and either getting another guitar or my money back. Filled in frets that are visible is a bit sloppy but cosmetic in nature. However cracks in the binding and particularly on the back are more serious.

By neck straightening do you mean adjustments to the truss rod to adjust neck relief or are you talking about surgery on the neck wood itself? truss rod adjustments on a new guitar are normal.....neck straightening isnt.

Cheers Martin

Yeah, just truss rod adjustments.

Will

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Will i could build a nice pretty looking guitar and supply a case, but it's gonna set ya back a lot more than $800, but the fret slots won't be visible and i won't leave the back or binding cracked,,,,, deal??
Cheers ,,,,, Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 pm

rocket wrote:Will i could build a nice pretty looking guitar and supply a case, but it's gonna set ya back a lot more than $800, but the fret slots won't be visible and i won't leave the back or binding cracked,,,,, deal??
Cheers ,,,,, Rod.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be in the same price bracket.

Will

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Depending on whos advice you take. I would take someone experienced i trusted with me whilst looking, and it is worth remembering how much a cheap crapper can be improved with say a bone nut and bridge and good quality tuning machines it makes an enormous boost to sound quality and playability. true you cant make a silk purse out of ...... but its a good way to learn how to cut a nut and set up a guitar for your own personal playing preference, not up to the task like Rick says get a pro to do it for you. You can take the tuners with you later on.
I love the bling as well but at the end of the day those 100s hours and dollars spent on inlays etc dont always improve sound quality.

Steve

blazemite
Kauri

Post by blazemite » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 pm

hey while were on the topic i am just wondering what some of you guys would charge for a classical/spanish guitar, i know that they are are all individual and would be priced acordingly. I am saving for a high end classical guitar to do a similar style to lisdsay buckingham, i would be after american maple back and sides ( figure would be nice but not essential), spruce top, no cutaway, and if possible ( i have never seen this before, im sure its do-able but im sure you would have a reason against it) a maple fretboard and neck. with whatever type of would you think would look nice for binding and bridge.

I am not sure yet weather i want to get one of you guys to do it or if i should make it myself, my current nylon string build is looking rather nice though the cocobolo is being rather troublesome, but by no means are my guitars up to scratch of a 150 dollar all laminate cheapie ....whereas im sure yous guys could make me something worth playing.

My third and final question, do you guys have a individual website for your luthier work, somewhere were i can actually find out how much you's guys charge ect, because advrtising your prices on here is probably against the forum rules i guess, and i do appolagise for that.
i reject your reality and substitiute it with my own ....

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:42 pm

You can see members websites if they have one listed by looking at their profile.

Mine is Barron River Guitars
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:27 pm

blazemite wrote:hey while were on the topic i am just wondering what some of you guys would charge for a classical/spanish guitar, i know that they are are all individual and would be priced acordingly.
I dont build to sell.....I have an arrangement with some muso friends where my instruments go to them on "permanent loan" and should they be forced to sell the guitars I get back cost of materials. If I were to sell one of my classicals I would factor in cost of materials and then labour calculated at 200 hours...thats how long it takes me to build a classical. The price....well it all depends how much you can charge out your labour. id probably be lucky to get away with charging more than the kids working down at the local cafe get paid for pulling coffees.
Martin

blazemite
Kauri

Post by blazemite » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 pm

yeah ...im one of those poor kids working at a local cafe ... ( actually a apprentice chef, but the wage is the same)
lol.
i reject your reality and substitiute it with my own ....

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Take the cost of the premises. The investment in equipment and tools. Add in the other overheads and $12/hr for just turning up and squirting coffee can look pretty attractive.