Soft start palm router

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Soft start palm router

Post by Dominic » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Hey, I have been looking for a decent palm router and liked the Bosch GMR1 but really wanted a soft start and variable speed like the US version Colt. The only other option in Oz is the Festool which is over 700 bucks.

Like a few of you I have a step down transformer for my heating blanket. So I thought I would try the US Colt palm router. It turned up last week and is very nice. I currently rout my saddle slots after the bridge is glued to the body and I didn't like how my current palm router jerked when starting as it could shift the alignment.

With postage it worked out cheaper than the local model without variable speed and soft start. Bargain. Something to consider while the dollar is strong.
Cheers
Dom

This

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1251&bc=no

Vs this

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16819
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:20 am

Great heads up Dominic. Now where did you get your step down transformer from, "cause I don't have one of those.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:06 am

Allen, the transformer was from Ebay a few years ago. I remember there was a discussion about them but I can't remember if it was on here or another forum.
Not such a good deal if you don't have one already but if you were buying a few tools the sums begin to add up again. With our small 240v market we just don't seem to get the variety of tools available OS.
Cheers
Dom

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 am

I think Dom got his trannie from same supplier as me. I think this is the mob:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... ide:2&rd=1

My unit is a 2000watt job and it weighs a tonne.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 am

Just a word of caution regarding step downs and high load equipment like power tools. I recall a discussion about this a few years back and it would appear that it is not only voltage that need to be considered when switching to 110v but also there is some issue over the different cycles used in USA v AU supply as a step downs do not address this disparity.

One thing to make clear, i am not is a leci guy, but as i recall the USA supply runs @ 60hz and AU runs @ 50hz and the problem here is that even though you are supplying the tool with the correct 'voltage' when using a step down, the flow rate of electricity is below that which the tool is designed for.

If memory serves this equates to lower actual speeds than a stepped down 110v VS controlled tool will indicate, but of greater concern is a lower top speed, and lower 'toque' throughout the entire range. I think it was suggested that this leads to a much shorter motor life because in working, the tool regularly becomes loaded up well before it should. This could well be the case because a leci mate once told me that within reason, a motor with not enough supply will cook well before one with too much supply and i had always remembered that because it had seemed counter-intuitive to me at the time, but i have never really investigated further to find out if it is so.

Sorry to put a cloud on this topic Dom and it must be said that this is advice from a few years back so maybe i got it all wrong, but it was enough to turn me off the idea back then so it may be worth others looking into before committing to 110v. Hey, it could also be all BS being sprouted by the power tool suppliers to AU and i just fell sucker.

That issue aside, i think you can actually get 240v tools in the USA but they still come with the fruity two vertical pin plugs but one of our American friends will need to clarify how available these are.

EDIT: Just checked Martin's ebay link. They make mention of the 60hz v 50hz variation. They also demonstrate a cordless drill that had it's battery charged on a charger plugged into the step down but the seem to steer clear of recommending running a mains tool and the 60hz v 50hz issue could be the reason.

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:33 am

Seems to be all covered here:

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/review ... epdown.htm

Cheers Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:54 pm

No worries Kim, always good to be cautious with money, electricity and women.
Marty's link mentions the guy using a 13 amp metal cutting saw on the step down with no problems. Given the potential uses here I would have thought someone would work the conversion problems out.
Anyway, I'll let people know if anything blows up but so far I am very happy.
Cheers
Dom

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:25 pm

I read quickly through the link, and perhaps it was covered in there somewhere, but I didn’t see it, so… "Universal motors", typically smaller high rpm motors such as those found in routers, are safe to use on 50 or 60 Hz. The problems, if they occur, are with larger "ordinary" electrical motors such as those found on table saw etc.

Here in Norway, we also use 220-240 V / 50 Hz, and I too have noticed that even with the shipping charges, it makes sense to purchase laminate trimmers and such from the US. As an example, brand new Bosch Colts are around US$ 70 – 80 on eBay from the US, the 230 V version costs NOK 1800 (US$ 320) here, yup, that’s 4 times as expensive! And, brands like Porter Cable are not available in 230 V versions, so the only way I can use them is with a step down transformer.

I purchased a used “site transformerâ€
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Hey Arnt

We've got one identical to that. They are heavy buggers.

Dave used it on building sites when he was in Wales.

He was saying that they used all manner of American 100 volt hand tools with no apparent ill effects.

We currently use it with a Festool sander that Lillian very kindly sourced for me.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 pm

kim has it spot on.

alright i'll try to remember what i had to learn for my apprenticeship all the way back in may.

most step down trannies are 2:1 so 220v=110v, 240v=120v. this is not usually an issue as supply V in Aus is usually between about 220-250V.

most US is 60hz supply, rest of world 50hz.

in motors: speed (rpm)=120xfrequency/no. of poles

this means speed is proportional to frequency ie US motor on Aus supply runs at 83% of rated Rpm.

torque=output power/2 x Pi x revs per sec.

revs per second are given above (don't for get to multiply by 60)

this means that as load is increased, dropping the Rps, the torque increases, increasing current draw. (until it stalls) and burns out.

output power = power in / efficiency (usually 0.eight)

there's heaps i've left out to try to keep things simple. you have however all passed the 3rd year of you electrical apprenticeship. congrats.