My first go at teaching - uke class 2009

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

My first go at teaching - uke class 2009

Post by Allen » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:47 pm

My entire life has been involved in the tradesman-apprentice relationship and one that I feel very strongly about. My father is a brilliant tradesman, who was apprenticed to a very skilled tradesman. My Grandfathers trained in the same fashion but in different trades. They all instilled in me the belief that there are no secrets to be kept from those wanting to learn. And the mark of a truly great tradesman is when his apprentice surpasses his skill, for then he knows that he's done all that he was able to do in passing on all his knowledge and skills, and the craft has been kept alive, and developed to a higher level.

With this in mind, and after repeated requests to show some interested folks at the Cairns and District Woodworkers Guild were I'm a member on how to build an instrument, I decided that my level of competency was at a point that I'd be able to take on the challenge.

I put a proposal together and let the membership know that I'd co-ordinate the purchasing of materials etc. in order to keep costs under control. The economy of bulk purchases, and my experience in whom to ask and where to go for the best value for the dollar. I had intended on only allowing 6 people to participate, but that quickly filled up, and I ended up with a waiting list for the next class. Didn't know that I might be making a bit of a career out of it. :shock:

Long story short, I finally ended up with 8 participants who have varying degrees of woodworking experience, but none of them have built anything like a ukulele, except for Liam who is a member of our forum here and recently completed a ladder braced parlor guitar.

I contacted Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods many weeks ago and arranged for some high figured Tassy Blackwood for Tenor sized ukes. Tim sent some really spectacular wood with several different figure patterns. It was interesting to see what people who really don't know much about instruments picked as their preferred pattern. It's been my experience that the wood with some sap wood highlights is usually the first to go when offered to luthiers. This was the last to go however with the participants in the class.

When I build at home, I usually have lots of leeway in length and width of stock, and when I stuff something up, it's not that big of a deal to go and find another piece. With other peoples wood that is fairly closely dimensioned its a different matter. And I've been known to have dyslexic moments....haven't most of us. :lol: So I didn't want to make any mistakes on other people wood. I spent most of the night lying in bed thinking through the processes, especially for the scarf joint on the neck as the supplied pieces didn't have heaps of room for stuff ups.

I thought that the best way of tackling this was to do a mock up of the parts, dimensions similar to the smallest pieces that we were supplied. I did these in New Guinea Rosewood, as I've got some sides and back all ready to go on another instrument, so a neck is just what I need. I haven't got any pictures of this part yet, but will soon.

The other part of the day was to shoot the back and top joints, and get them glued up. This was a real eye opener for everyone in the class. How to get a light tight joint with minimal effort. Thankfully the first couple of pieces that I demonstrated on were dead easy, to make me look like I knew what I was doing. :D Then I let them have at it, and helped out when they ran into trouble.

The class is scheduled for weekends, and some evening work, to accommodate my day job. So additions to this thread will be a little intermittent, but I hope that some of you will find it of interest.
Last edited by Allen on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Cam
Myrtle

Post by Cam » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:53 pm

It's great that your doing this, Allen.

I wish I could go to something like that, although I don't think I'd fit in that well, those guys look like they are old enough to be my grandad :lol:
Previously known as "guitarcam" :D

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Well, Liam, who is in the fellow on the far left in the first picture is a fair bit younger than me, so you wouldn't be out of place. The best thing about the Woodworkers Guild is that they are all a really friendly and helpful group of people that treat everyone equally, no matter their skill, or age. We have a fair number of junior members and a mentoring program that will teach them the necessary skills in woodworking. Some of the things these juniors build is truly amazing. I sure couldn't knock up some of the things they do at their age.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Well done Allan. You're the first I've heard of who does uke building classes in Australia. Good on ya.

Hip.
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks Hip.Today was exhausting, but really enjoyable as well.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Great effort there Allen. Teaching is the best way to learn!!

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Congratulations on your workshop, uke building course. I reckon your on a winner there! It is so rewarding to be able to watch an instrument grow. I bet all the students have a ball.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:20 am

How cool is that. Good on you for doing this Allen. It know it will be tiresome and whatnot, but well worth the effort.

Thanks for sharing.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 am

Well I for one will find this interesting Allen! Well done, there's nothing quite like teaching somebody something and seeing the look on their face when they know they've got it. Plus what you teach them now will stay with them for the rest of their life, may never build another Uke, but they'll remember how they built this one. :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

obmit
Blackwood

Post by obmit » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Very good Allen

Satisfaction of passing skills is priceless. Ive been lecturing for 6 years now and I'm still not bored of it.

Teaching uke building has been in the back of my mind now but don't have the courage to set something up as im still only a newbie ant building but im sure the time will come.

Will be good to see and hear what you think of it all. Got to love lying in bed imagining the unforeseen possibilities. Thats what beers and wine are for :P

Keep up the good work, its tiresome but its worth it.

Don't let demonstration get in your way all students need to see how to do it wrong at some point. That is what makes a great tradesmen the one that is honest.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ImBroken8/annoyingbug.gif[/img]
http://holeshotnitro.com/

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 pm

man, everytime I saw that camera come out I tried to hide but I guess I was caught in a moment of concentration. At least i wasn't picking my nose or scratching my arse.

Cam, I figure that by the time i'm a member of the old bastard's club i'll have a shed load of instuments under my belt. never too young to learn. :lol:

on a more serious note, being an apprentice tradesman in the real world, i do appreciate the skilled old bastards of the world, i've learned a lot more from them than from the ones closer in age to myself.

gotta go do uke work now. don't want to be the class dunce that keeps the whole class behind schedule :lol:

cheers.........Liam.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:45 pm

hey allen, i've got some photos of my uke build, should i post them in here or start a new topic

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:50 pm

If you want, here is fine with me.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Cam
Myrtle

Post by Cam » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Allen, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the course and what days do you do it?

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Cost of the class is limited to the cost of materials. I'm doing it as a service to the members of the Cairns and District Woodworkers Guild. I estimate that the cost of materials will come in between $130 and $150 total. I've been getting a lot of requests for more classes, and bye people that aren't members of the club. Perhaps down the road there will be a time when I do a course that will carry a fee and will be open to anyone.

So far the days are pretty elastic. There is just so much going on this month that we are having to get stuff done when we can. And I've got a day job I have to go to during the week that enables my purchase of more wood when I have that itch than needs scratching. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Allen wrote: And I've got a day job I have to go to during the week that enables my purchase of more wood when I have that itch than needs scratching. :lol:
Hmmm sounds like another member of the forum, whom I suspect is currently undergoing self treatment for his WAS. :lol: :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey Allen ... with your skills, experience and commitment to fine lutherie I think you're onto something good with these classes.
Lillian wrote:I know it will be tiresome and whatnot, but well worth the effort.
Whenever 'teaching fatigue' sets in ... may these quotes inspire you to keep going :wink:.

Cheers
John M

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Allen wrote:I should run a course hey.
No sooner said than done.
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:21 pm

here's some of the uke timber supplied by tim s. to allen for the uke course.
pretty flash hey? 8)

nicer than the scrap i make my guitars out of :)

cross your fingers i dont wreck any of it.

photos don't do the sets justice.

Cam
Myrtle

Post by Cam » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Those sets look quite nice Liam. I was actually thinking building a little uke with the same timbers and all a few weeks ago and this thread has defiantly got me wanting to build one. Maybe something to do over the school holidays in two weeks!

The grain on the back set is pretty crazy, how did it get so squiggly? (to anyone who knows)

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Another day at it and got a lot accomplished with only 4 people being able to show up. The Flu is making its rounds up here, and had some people taking the prudent step of not straying to far from home.

It's a bit awkward trying to think of all the things that one will need to do something like this, and having to pack it all up and go on a road trip. Hoping that you don't forget that one really important piece of equipment at home. Today I did pretty well, and didn't leave anything to chance. Had to pack up most of the workshop into the ute though. :lol:

The necks were glued up last week using a scarf joint and stacked heel. I didn't get any pictures of the students one in the process, but did take a picture of mine.

The top and back plates needed to be run through the drum sander. Took the backs down to 1.8 mm and tops varied from 1.5 to 1.7 mm

We used a body template with a washer to offset the pencil line by about 1/4" larger than the finished instrument. Then it was trimmed to this line on the bandsaw.

Then, I thought that if everyone wanted the full on "Secret Luthiers Training" they had better know about Hide Glue. So I brought in some dry glue, showed them how to mix it up, and gave a demo on using it. Then they had at it using my go bar deck.

Then they put a 15' radius on the back braces and then glued them using my radius dish.

And a shot of Liam and me. Liam is the good looking one.

We also got the fret boards tapered using a little jig that I think that I first saw on Sylvan Wells site. I'll post pictures of that as well. Hard to keep the camera handy with so many people about at one time.

I think that everyone is really enjoying the experience so far, and a real eye opener to some aspects of building and instrument. There are also so many little things that I take for granted, that seem to be revelations to others. Very rewarding that way.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:49 pm

With that smile of sheer satisfaction I can see a career change coming for you, Allen :D.
John M

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:31 pm

i think we need to address the balance of ugly mugs vs. ukes in progress being shown in this thread.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Been doing some evening work, but the lighting is a bit poor for photos, so today was the first time that we had another day session and got some brace carving, and side bending accomplished.

This is Joe, who is building 2 instruments out of Blackwood, but with Spruce tops for each of his daughters.

Bill and Joe comparing notes on how easy it is to bend on an iron.

And Bill getting stuck in, making an uke for his daughter as well.

Most of the class has taken their sides down to 1.6 - 1.5 mm and the Blackwood is bending like a dream. Good thing too, as there is nothing like a success when you 're faced with something as intimidating as steam bending your highly figured and expensive wood for the very first time.

More evening class this coming week, and some will be installing the kerfed linning to attach sides to top.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:36 pm

I'll say it again Allen, this is great. Looks like you have a keen bunch of students and no doubt reflected by their tutor. Not many people can say they inspired a sudden influx of female uke players :)
Bloody shorts and tee shirts though! got my jersey on here today.

Oh & Liam, uke's looking the part there :cl
"Jesus Loves You."