Sandpaper Management

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Sandpaper Management

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:30 am

I am curious as to how folks organize your sandpaper so that you:

1) Can find the stinkin stuff... :)

2) You know what you have and what you need to stock up on

3) Your sandpaper stays flat and, yep you guessed it, clean... :D

Anyway after running out of a grit that I needed and being against a deadline the other day I decided to figure out a way to manage my sandpaper.

Here is what I came up with:

So if you have a cool way that you manage your sandpaper how about letting us know about it please?

Thanks! :)

Joe Sustaire
Myrtle

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:22 am

Thanks Hesh, I needed that!
A good chuckle lightens up the day. Only you would have their sandpaper so well organized!

Of course I'm envious!
Looks like you've got it figured out, and now I know where to go when I'm short a sheet of a specific grit. :D

Thanks,
Joe
The only safe thing to do, is to take a chance! Mike Nichols

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:41 am

Jeez Mate,
If chuckin it all in a box with everything else is'nt good enough for you, are you sure you belong here.
And I still have'nt got my tub of lard you promised

But seriously, what a great idea, love it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Let's see. Work in a panel shop that goes through about $4,000 of sandpaper a month, and never in my life have I seen anything like that. :shock:

Can I fault the organization....Nope

Can I think of a better way....well, I don't have a problem keeping track of what I have on hand, so I'm not looking for a solution.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 pm

But where do you put all the half used bits and pieces. And do you separate the used spruce bits from the used ebony bits or do you run it all under the vac? :lol:

I only use long lasting garnet sheets now and use it till its dead. I have a drawer for new stuff which I buy in bulk packs and another for all my old bits and the round filling cabinet for the real old bits.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Im just picturing Hesh turning up to his accountant's office to do his tax return and....."whoops er hang one...wrong filing box".

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 pm

I have a box with thin ply partitions in it, a bit like Hesh's but not as fancy, sitting up on a shelf at eye level - it holds the new stuff. But like Dominic, the half bits tend to just hang around in a box. To try and keep the wastage down, I'll pencil the grit on the back if it's not printed if I think of it.

There are some other aspects to sandpaper management that might be of interest to people.
Until a few months ago, I didn't know about the following things you can do for sand paper on your drum/disc/belt sanders etc.
1. $15 rubber block (is it rubber or something else??) available from Carbatec etc that gets a lot of the dust & particles out of sandpaper - gives it a new lease of life
2. Stu told me about soaking sandpaper in water, then after drying it, a lot of the crud is removed. It definitely extended its useful life.

I have a question someone may be able to answer. I hate thinning down side binding with BWB purfling pre-glued. It totally clogs that section of your drum sander used even after a couple of passes. I guess the glue in the veneers is contributing to that. Does anyone have an explanation and a solution?

Thanks. Frank.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Feed the binding through on an angle Frank.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:45 pm

jeffhigh wrote: And I still have'nt got my tub of lard you promised
Jeff my friend Bob is in charge of lard distributions in the southern hemorrhoid... :D I deal with lard distributions in the northern hemorrhoid... :D

So, what no one has any cool tips for managing your sandpaper?

For the less-than-a-full-sheet pieces I have a folder next to my main bench that the scraps go into for handy, future use.

How about "MBA" which is like "MBO" (management by objectives) but in this case management by abrasives meaning file it in numerical order as I did. :lol:

Anyway I keep buying sandpaper that I already had a ton of but didn't know it and running out of the grits that I thought that I had but was out of.... Maybe this will help me inventory and keep a proper stock level...

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:04 am

Nice tupperware, Hesh. Too bad they were out of pink. :lol:

I tore up an old office desk and built a work bench around the drawer cabinets. I keep my sand paper in a deep drawer that has plywood dividers, which helps to keep things reasonably organized. Not up to Hesh’s standards of course, but functional for my purposes.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:13 pm

For many years I have kept my papers and pads in old chocolate tins. I found that leaving them out for any length of time the emery would crack like a biscuit [maybe this was because the Central Australian desert climate at that time, I don't know]

I also pre cut them to size, a few sheets at a time and number each piece and store them in old plastic string packets and store them all in the plastic tub on the back of my bench. After cutting up the sheets I know I will need more in the future and get them before my cut bits run down.

Never thought I'd be writing about it let alone posting pictures too.

Taff

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:57 am

If you're laminating your own bindings/purflings, do it with polyurethane glue, epoxy, or hot hide glue. They all sand well and don't load up the sand paper. Titebond is the worst for this. There are hidden reasons for choosing different glues.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 am

My sandpapers come on a roll. I don't use many different grits, just 80, 12, 240 and 400

I have one drawer for sandpaper used on white wood, and another drawer for sandpaper for ebony. keeping them well separate is a fine idea :)

Hesh your organised system makes me spew :shock: :D

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:04 pm

This is what I use, and it is great. The small drawers hold all the flat sheet papers and a couple of the deep ones hold my rolls, and steel wool. A couple hold smaller tools, one holds sharpening supplies/tools, one of the deep ones holds small used bits of sandpaper, etc. Great system.

Ron

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:22 pm

I think that is the first time I've seen anything of the inside of your shop Ron. It looks a bit like you were expecting Hesh to show up for a shop tour. And I think your storage system might top his, so look out Hesh. Ron just trumped you. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:04 am

Rick Turner wrote:If you're laminating your own bindings/purflings, do it with polyurethane glue, epoxy, or hot hide glue. They all sand well and don't load up the sand paper. Titebond is the worst for this. There are hidden reasons for choosing different glues.
Well it's great to see there is a solution to this. Which of these stands up to heat the best? I would have thought that the purflings would separate in the side bender or on hot pipe with hide glue.
Frank

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:12 am

Very impressive Ron - great organization and your shop looks very clean too... :D

Arnt my friend they did have a pink one but I thought that it would be tough to appear manly at the check-out so I opted for black. BTW I have your picture and if you have noticed there are a couple of fun threads running in "anything goes..." :D

If anyone is wondering, even if your not.... :D , I use grits through 2,000 for fret dressing so I have to stock a fair number of grits.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:08 am

matthew wrote:My sandpapers come on a roll. I don't use many different grits, just 80, 12, 240 and 400
I use the rolls as well.

When I have some guests around who I dont particularly like I stick a roll of 80grit in the loo and they soon get the message and piss off.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
matthew wrote:My sandpapers come on a roll. I don't use many different grits, just 80, 12, 240 and 400
I use the rolls as well.

When I have some guests around who I dont particularly like I stick a roll of 80grit in the loo and they soon get the message and piss off.
:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Hey Hesh,

I like this idea, and will probably do the same. It's a lot cheaper and easier than building a storage unit with dividers, and in the general box of sandpaper sheets, I have found that I had no idea how many of each grit I had, and which grits I was out of.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:18 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
I use the rolls as well.

Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:20 pm

I have great admiration for folks who have such well organized systems dealing with sandpaper filing. Mine seem to just be located in a general area of the shop. I always mean to be better organized, but it's sort of like dating a nun - it's hard to get into the habit... :wink:

aloha,

Dave Hurd
http://www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:28 pm

My wife's family is coming to our house for Christmas.

Bob, please get me a case of rolls of Badger's Arse, as I suspect it will prevent malingering and loitering.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:54 pm

OMG I started to say I used rolls similar to Matthew's and out comes the Badger's Arse. OK, but I tend to set mine up to roll off from the top down as opposed to "bottom's up" :roll:
Hesh, I think Ron's shop looks cleaner, which says a lot
Dave, I am still laughing at your nasty habit.... :twisted:
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 pm

I took that picture about 3 years ago, and my shop hasn't been clean, since. Photos can be so misleading. I actually clean about twice a year, after I finish a build. :oops:

Ron