What's your favourite nut width?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Less than 43mm
No votes
43mm to 45mm
42%
45mm to 47mm
58%
Greater than 47mm
No votes

Total votes: 12

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, I finally got some time out in the garage this morning to play with my first build - making fret board templates. I've spent the last few days thinking about nut width. I had drawn up my own OM plans over the last Xmas holidays and set my nut width at 44mm (a bit bigger than 1 11/16"). I should have measured my Maton before drawing. It has a nut width of 44.5mm, and I find the string spacing a little too close for when I'm trying to play fingerstyle. So, this morning I rubbed out the neck on my plan and redrew it at 47mm (1 7/8") along with the associated bridge adjustments. I've made up FB templates for both widths, and I like the look of the 47mm one.

All throughout this I've been think about what other people like when they're playing. Do you like a narrow neck or do you prefer a bit of room to move?

This is for steel string guitars. Obviously nylon string guitars are a different kettle of fish altogether. Ukes and banjo's don't rate a mention :twisted: .
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:33 pm

I go with 1 3/4" (44.5mm) with a 2.25" spread at the bridge.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:55 pm

I was making all mine at 1 3/4" (about 44 mm) but the last 2 were specified by the customer at what worked out to be 46 mm. I found it to be so much more comfortable for my size of fingers. Just that little bit extra seems to make a fair bit of difference.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:23 pm

I learned classical guitar when I was younger. I guess that first exposure to the guitar on a nylon stringed instrument has stayed with me, and I feel more comfortable with a wider fretboard.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -