Rimucaster??

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

seeaxe
Blackwood

Rimucaster??

Post by seeaxe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:25 pm

I havent quite sorted out the name for this, but THIS is one of MY favourite guitar shapes -

Number 4 has been a learning experience in many ways and as usual my excitement at seeing and hearing the finished guitar has got in the way of the inner perfectionist I am trying to encourage. I think he was somewhere else for this one.

Here it is on the rotisserie spray jig curing in the Auckland winter sunshine

The finished article

A closer up

Headstock back - complete with borer habitat!

I see all the things I got wrong, but it feels and sounds pretty good. Perhaps the most humurous mistake was deciding I really wanted a zero fret then forgetting to extend the neck by the same amount. End result was that I couldnt get the intonation right until I refitted it a bit farther forwards. Or possibly the over the top fretboard radius - the telecaster that thinks its a violin.

This was meant to be a recycled guitar - the body is heart rimu from the end of a bed I made about 30 years ago, the neck is a bit of recycled matai I found in a timber yard - complete with borer holes - (if he's still in there, then at least he's deaf now!!). The fretboard is a piece of greenheart decking timber I had stuck under the house. I read somewhere that greenheart is pretty hard so I thought I'd give it a try. The running gear is all new of course but it really annoys me that I cannot get gold plated left handed bits, hence the bridge pick up is the wrong way round.

I still need to sort out the buzzing - lots of helpful advice on the tdpri forum - but its got that TWANG and I can't put it down long enough to get that done.

Thanks for looking!
Richard

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:57 am

Nice idea using recycled timbers there seeaxe, what was the heart Rimu like to work? My old house had heart Rimu studs & dwangs and banging a nail into it.......well It would have been easier driving the nail into concrete! I pre-drilled the hole, soaped the nail, and blunted the end and the damn things still bent when they were halfway in!
BTW, Telecaster shape is my favourite too & I think I've probably made more of that shape than the strat.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:51 am

I love recycled timber instruments, they give the instrument character.

I can relate to your impatience Seeaxe, my greatest learning as well.
make mine fifths........

Deano
Kauri

Post by Deano » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Headstock back - complete with borer habitat!
Best call these microscopic tone chambers ;)

Great looking build! I'm actually about to start spraying a Tele and was looking at different ways to do it. For bolt on guitars, this Jig is a cracker!
:D

Dean

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks all for comments

The rimu was OK, although I didnt have to do too much to it, I put the bits through the thicknesser then just had to sand it to get it nice and level. The routing wents OK, it tends to burn if you go too slow or try to do too much, so it was a matter of many passes make light work.

Cheers
Richard
Richard

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 pm

I think it looks great Richard. It looks like it could be an instant new best friend. I love the color of the body. Is that stained or natural? Two thumbs up.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Lillian - thanks for the comments - yes it feels like its been around for ages but its only been a few weeks, - love at first pluck. The finish is one spray can of Dulux nitro enamel! NZ$10!! I suppose I should have done a few more coats but... I didnt.

I'll have to go into my shed and give myself 25 lashes with a bit a scrap tonewood some other time for being so impatient. I'm never going to make into the Luthier Hall of Fame at this rate. :cry:

Cheers
Richard
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Lillian wrote:I think it looks great Richard. It looks like it could be an instant new best friend. I love the color of the body. Is that stained or natural? Two thumbs up.
Lillian, Rimu is the Maori name for what is also called red pine. Kahikatea is another species and its sometimes referred to as white pine. Rimu is used alot in high quality furniture. The stuff used to be wasted alot back in the 60's and 70's.....my parents house had rimu framing inside the walls. And you wonder why these beautiful woods are getting scarce.