Inexpensive Clamps for Linings

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

woodrat
Blackwood

Inexpensive Clamps for Linings

Post by woodrat » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:46 pm

I know that cloths pegs have been used for a long time for lining clamps but I have found that Reva Brand are excellent because they are stronger than ordinary cloths pegs and they are made in Australia too. I thought those who are new to guitarmaking and are tooling up may like to know that there are some tools that are not prohibitively expensive and you can buy them at your local supermarket. I like to use a couple of stronger clamps on the areas around the waist as a bit more pressure is sometimes needed but the pegs are fine for most of the journey. I am not affiliated with Reva in any way, just thought it would be useful info for new luthiers.

Keep on Building

JohnImage

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks for that Woodrat. I use a combination of the red spring clamps in your pics (often on special in bulk packs at nasty old Bunnings) and the lining clamps that John Watkins used to market. Johns clamps are ok but you need to add a second ring of surgical rubber to give them enough clamping power.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:38 pm

No worries, I just hoped that it would be useful info for all. I bought 4 packets for about $5 each. I used to use bulldog clips but they didn't have enough reach although they have plenty of power.
Cheers
John

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:32 pm

I've always used these metal clamps from the stationer's store and been very happy with them. They're inexpensive and last a very long time.

Dave Hurd
http://www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:49 am

I'm with Dave on this. We use hundreds of those little things, and they're really inexpensive. I know they are available in Australia as that's what Sony Moon of Tassie Adult Ed got for me to use in the four day build courses.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:35 am

Those cloths pegs don't work at all. My wife found them one day, and decided that they worked far better for hanging the laundry, so confiscated them all. :shock:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 am

Like a lot of other builders, I went to Bunnings and bought these little buggers. Their jaw width is only 3/8 " ( 9.5 mm.) which fit in nicely to the contours of the body and are mounted on a swivel to suit wedge shaped liners. They work well , but I do add some extra rubber bands on the ones used for the tighter curves. I like the look of the pegs too John . I'll buy some today and give them a shot , Thanks

Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craig Lawrence

Matt_Blacka
Beefwood

Post by Matt_Blacka » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 am

I've used both the clothes pegs and the metal bulldog clips for gluing the linings onto my ukes, and both were ok. Not so great around the waist, and didn't work so well for some liner profiles where the slant on the liner face was a little more angled (triangle type liner profile).

Next time around I'm going to try using the plastice peg/clamp things that come on some coat hangers. Howards Storage sells them individually (without the coat hanger). I have one and it feels like its clamping pressure is better than a normal peg.
MAKAIO Ukuleles
www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:37 am

Love your website Matt!
make mine fifths........

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:24 pm

i use those reva superhold pegs also. i was a little skeptical of their strength until i stuck about a dozen on my finger. i'm now a believer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:51 pm

liam_fnq wrote:i use those reva superhold pegs also. i was a little skeptical of their strength until i stuck about a dozen on my finger. i'm now a believer.
Thank god it was just your finger you stuck the little blighters on!! :shock:

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:10 pm

well ther is only 18 in a pack :)