7 course Renaissance Lute Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 pm

kiwigeo wrote: Tomorrow therell be nothing happening....Ill be all day at a Geologists Lunch.
Is that because your all really stoned when u'r finished eating Martin :?:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Too old for drugs......will be knocking myself out with Pinot Noir.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 am

Crikey ! this lute is starting to look fantastic Martin . A true reward for your patience and skill . I've found it a very interesting project so far and the excitement grows as you get nearer to completion.

A Geologist's Lunch ,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmm, Argyle socks in all directions! :lol:
Craig Lawrence

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:49 am

Rock Hammers to get into the strata of the bread rolls perhaps?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Back from lunch and in all honesty it was a bit of a lack lustre affair. Didnt knock back as many bottles of vino as we usually do.

The wine list:

- 1 bottle of 2006 Felton Road Pinot Noir
- 1 bottle of 2008 Ashton Hills Reserve Pinot Noir
- 1 bottle of 2007 Piste Merlot (Adelaide Hills..didnt catch the maker)
- 2 bottles of 2008 Ashton Hills Pinot Noir
- 1 bottle of 2008 Kangaroo Island Sting Liquer

Will try and do better next time around.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:04 am

kiwigeo wrote:Back from lunch and in all honesty it was a bit of a lack lustre affair. Didnt knock back as many bottles of vino as we usually do.

The wine list:

That would have of course been each right Martin? :wink:

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:49 pm

I was thinking there was just three of them there for lunch. Enough to call it a business meeting or professional development.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Three of us at the start and then the boss turned up....for desserts.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Took the plunge today and cut the neck block ready for the neck/body scarf joint. The tute instructs to do the cut with a japanese saw but I did it on the bandsaw with the table tilted at the appropriate angle. Once rough cut the neck block is trimmed to final dimensions with a chisel and block plane.

This will be my last lute post for a few weeks. Off to work monday and then once the 3 week hitch is finished Im off to NZ to be with an ailing father.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Looks great Martin,

Take a lappy to your Dad's place and show him what a fine craftsman his son has become, Im sure he is as proud as punch already but a run through this thread is still sure to make his day.

Cheers M8

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:40 pm

Kim, last year I showed the old man a few pics of one of my builds and his single comment was "you're a true craftsman son". Unlike alot of parents my old man let me decided where I wanted to go in life....ie no pressure to be a teacher like himself and my late mother...and my brothers and sister. Nah..I became what I am today..a Geologist who whished hed become a luthier.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:12 am

kiwigeo wrote:Kim, last year I showed the old man a few pics of one of my builds and his single comment was "you're a true craftsman son". Unlike alot of parents my old man let me decided where I wanted to go in life....ie no pressure to be a teacher like himself and my late mother...and my brothers and sister. Nah..I became what I am today..a Geologist who whished hed become a luthier.
I'm not quite sure why is is so gratifying, even as an adult, to get heartfelt compliments from a parent, but it sure is true. Martin, I'm sure that meant a lot to you - it would to me.

And, truth be told, you are one hell of a fine craftsman!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

zendo
Myrtle

Post by zendo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:27 am

kiwigeo wrote:Back from lunch and in all honesty it was a bit of a lack lustre affair. Didnt knock back as many bottles of vino as we usually do.

The wine list:

That wine list looks impressive. Pinot is probably my favourite wine and I have this habit of chasing wines which are recommended. I'll give it a try today. Won't try the Merlot though. I still recall the comments from "Sideways"... On the lute - I am impressed and encouraged by what you have done this time back from the wilds of the north waters. I imagine it's the north. I am still not too well and any work I do is concentrating on getting my new workshop up and running. I look forward to seeing your finished product. Robert

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:51 am

Very entertaining build Martin, but cannot yet see where you are going to be able to fit the twin humbuckers, tremolo arm and control knobs.

When I do get to spend time in my shed I am often thinking of my Dad, and trying to be as good with wood as he was. He made exhibition and display stands (amongst other things)mostly out of wood and was usually trying to meet some deadline or other. (this could be where I get some of my impatience from!!) He used to fairly regularly chop bits of his fingers or thumb off on the table saw, then have to go off to hospital to get them sewn back on again. When I think of all the power tools he used to have, I wish I had taken this hobby up a bit sooner.

I'm off to Kiribati for a couple of weeks in mid September so not sure if we will overlap, but if when you are in NZ you end up with any spare time in Auckland, I'd be keen to catch up for a beer. (or merlot, pinot or whatever)

Keep drilling lots more holes, then flood them all. Possibly drill one right through and let some water drain into the northern hemisphere. With a bit of luck you will counteract sea level rise, as about 50% of the pacific islands countries are screwed if things keep going the way they are.

Have a good trip

Richard
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks for the invite Richard. Will put you on my list of ppl to visit in Auckland. probably wont get up that way this time around but therell be other trips and I do sometimes enter the country via the city if sails.

Cheers Martin

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:33 pm

There's no doubting the gift for lutherie you possess, Martin.

It matters not so much what's being built but more so the execution and definitely the end results. I'm glad to hear you've made your Dad so
proud, just as you do to us all on this and other forums.

Don't use a Floyd rose on this one though. Maybe a Kahler trem.:lol:

Cheers, Stu

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:24 pm

The gift of lutherie....LOL. Thanks Stu but comments like that can go to my head and next thing Ill be quitting the day job and getting into trouble with the boss.

You and your tremelo arms.....I imagine you would have been a most troublesome apprentice back in the Renaissance.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Well stone mw last night I was sitting here in the study pondering on sources of wood for the peghead on my lute when a massive crashing noise came from outside the study window.......there on the driveway was a huge branch of the claret ash in my from garden.

This morning myself and a mate got busy with the chainsaw and cut the branch up into lengths I then painted ends of same with bitumen paint and theyre now stored under cover until I work out what to do with them. Some of the pieces are over 350mm in diameter. The smaller stuff will go to a bloke I met at a funeral yesterday who is into wood turning. The large stuff Im going to try and use for something.

Cheers Martin

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey Martin. That tree deserves a good kick in the trunk.

I'm eager to see the upcoming neck/body joint - and the sound hole. It's looking brilliant so far. You've evidently learning some tricks out of it.

Cheers Hip.
[img]http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10140.gif[/img][img]http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1062.gif[/img]
Hippus Erectus

Cam
Myrtle

Post by Cam » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 pm

and your stash continues to grow :lol:

Is it any claret ash any good for guitars?
Previously known as "guitarcam" :D

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:16 pm

It's going to be a beauty, Martin.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Hope nobody's in a hurry for updates on the lute project. Got back from work on Wednesday but am totally burnt out..havent even been into the workshop yet. Theres now talk of hauling me back to the rig on Sunday to cover for one of my offsiders whos decided hes been out there too long and is bitching because he missed his wife's birthday and suddenly wants to go on a "family holiday".. gettin' too old for this lark.

Watch this spot for updates in a few weeks time.

Cheers Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:25 pm

kiwigeo wrote: Theres now talk of hauling me back to the rig on Sunday to cover for one of my offsiders whos decided hes been out there too long and is bitching because he missed his wife's birthday and suddenly wants to go on a "family holiday".. gettin' too old for this lark.

Watch this spot for updates in a few weeks time.

Cheers Martin
Tell him to harden up :lol: :lol:
That's no good Martin, back out on the rig is probably not where you want to be either! Does this mean your trip back home will be delayed & I'll have to drink your alcohol quota?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:12 pm

No mate....Im firm booked into the body under the house city on Nov 4th and flying out Nov 10th. Have booked myself into my favourite Sumner hotel..."Le Petit Hotel".

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Whoa....just when I thought I was having a bad day things got alot better. Popped into my local bottelo and bought two bottles of Montana Sav blanc to qualify for the free travel book and entry into the contest to dine around the world. Bottelo man couldnt find the book so I ended up with a classey pair of Canadian Club headphones instead. Wearing the suckers right now as I listen to Billy Cobham and George Duke on Youtube..(track is "500 miles to go").

The guitarist on the clip is Carl Orr......for those interested check out the video at 08:09 and see how a classy guitarist handles being thrown a curve ball by George Duke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWIGxrd ... re=related