7 course Renaissance Lute Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Lute Build

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Tigermyrtle wrote: once finished you will be able to join Sting. Cheers Bob
Um... I think Sting already has someone who does his house cleaning.

Actually Sting cant play the lute for ****...the guy he recently toured Australia with (Edin Karamazov) is a bloke you want to check out if you want to see a master lutenist at work. The guy looks weird but his playing is amazing.

Another good lute player is Jan Akkerman...he was the guitarist with the 70/80's group "Focus".

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:59 pm

I heard Andrews Ford's interview with Edin Karamazov on RN when he was touring with Sting. He was very complimentary of Sting. Personally I though Karamazov was towing the party line because he was getting paid rather well. There is no comparison between the two IMHO.
make mine fifths........

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Sting picks at his lute like hes still finding his way around....Karamazov plays his instrument like he knows it better than the back of his hand.

Tigermyrtle

Lute Build

Post by Tigermyrtle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Sting Might not be the best in playing the Lute I agree, but the guy is not bad on the guitar, and he sure knows how to sing.
Cheers Bob
kiwigeo wrote:Sting picks at his lute like hes still finding his way around....Karamazov plays his instrument like he knows it better than the back of his hand.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Lute Build

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Tigermyrtle wrote:Sting Might not be the best in playing the Lute I agree, but the guy is not bad on the guitar, and he sure knows how to sing.
Cheers Bob
kiwigeo wrote:Sting picks at his lute like hes still finding his way around....Karamazov plays his instrument like he knows it better than the back of his hand.
Sting's forte is electric bass and vocals. Ive always loved his music and his musicianship.....and hes always surrounded himself with high class musicians . Christian McBride is one good example along with the late Hiram Bullock.

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:19 pm

It sounds like the biggest reason Karamazov toured with sting was because of the loot...............erm...lute.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 am

Yeah..Lute and loots. This bldi lute is costing me loot. Might cost me my marriage if I dont cut back on the swearing.

Tigermyrtle

Lute Build

Post by Tigermyrtle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Well your right there Martin,
I have just been listening to a few youtube videos of Karamazav and that guy knows how to play a lute.
Cheers Bob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Not a good day....rib 3 doesnt fit too well and it appears that rib 2 might be the problem. I also managed to bust one rib while bending same.

Not in the mood to &&&& with the lute any more for now and Im off to work in a week so the thing is going on the back burner while I finish the two classicals.

Cheers Martin

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:10 am

Im building furniture and tools for a while for the same reason, raddam scraddam.....
make mine fifths........

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Okay Im reknowned for my stubborness so this morning I raced out to the workshop and did battle with the offending rib and got it to fit. It ended up a bit short at the neck end put thats not an issue as the end of the neck block gets lopped off when the neck gets attached. Problem was the trimming of the adjacent rib but now Ive got the next rib fitted Ive taken care to trim the outer edge of same more carefully so shouldnt have same problems with next rib on same side.

Tigermyrtle

Post by Tigermyrtle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:05 pm

I knew that you would be back Martin, as you say you are stubborn and you will not let something like that beat you. In the end you will finish this build. Cheers Bob
kiwigeo wrote:Okay Im reknowned for my stubborness so this morning I raced out to the workshop and did battle with the offending rib and got it to fit. It ended up a bit short at the neck end put thats not an issue as the end of the neck block gets lopped off when the neck gets attached. Problem was the trimming of the adjacent rib but now Ive got the next rib fitted Ive taken care to trim the outer edge of same more carefully so shouldnt have same problems with next rib on same side.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Rib No 4 glued in and back on track. Lots of glue all over the show...gave it a bit of a quick clean up before taking photos.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:43 pm

It's starting to look sexy already Martin :)
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Three rolls of binding tape and one large roll of sellotape used up so far.

One thing Ive discovered is that hot hide glue sticks like sh*t to a blanket...dont pick your nose half way through a glue up.

Mongrel
Gidgee

Post by Mongrel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Its great to see other people use tape like I do. When I tiled my kitchen, everything was taped up with masking tape. You locate your tile and tape them on.

Martin, do you think it would be a viable method for accoustic guitar backs? Would you end up with something like an ovation roundback. Would the bigger area equate to easier bending or just a bigger pain in the butt???

Nice work, as usual, BTW
Cheers!

Mongrel

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Mongrel,

If youre even thinking of making guitars with bowl backs then you need to book yourself into the nearest mental asylum. I dont know why they built instruments with bowl backs in the Renaissance....there was some fine art and music happening but I think they were also drinking alot of mead back then.

The size of the bowl doesnt affect ease of bending with a bowl back....the bending is the easy part, the hardest part is making the ribs fit together tightly. More than one Oud maker uses a solid mold....a much better option that using an armature mold as Im using but the latter is easier to make than a solid mold.

The only reason Ovation has succeded with a bowl back is because the thing is made of one piece plastic.

Cheers Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Nick O wrote:It's starting to look sexy already Martin :)
Wait till you see me in my renaissance outfit paying the thing.....THEN youll see sexy!!

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:13 pm

Looks great, Martin! You are winning the battle!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:00 am

Martin,

You can't keep a good codpiece down - great recovery. I see you are into tape bondage big time as well :lol: It's looking good - I lost track a bit in not making sure that the later ribs got pulled down enough towards the plane where the top will be and had to play "catch-up" with the last two. You seem to have that well covered. When you get frustrated just toss a rib on the barbie instead 8)

I've taken the strings off mine and am making the last four wooden frets, tidying up the pegs and putting some shellac on the top.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am

kiwigeo wrote:Wait till you see me in my renaissance outfit paying the thing.....THEN youll see sexy!!
What something like:

or more serious like:

or is it more like:
Complete with ample clevage :shock:
"Jesus Loves You."

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:49 am

Martin and/or Dave, how was the bowl built back in the day? Did they use some variation of the wedge and rope clamping system? Were the molds solid? Just curious. I find your threads fascinating to watch. I can't tell you how many times I read through Dave's thread, watching you build. You made it look so easy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:37 am

Yeah Dave does make it look easy.....a good reason to ban him!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Yeah Dave does make it look easy.....a good reason to ban him!
I second that motion! He sure did a great job of making it look like a piece of urine. Between you two has inspired me to at least consider looking at possibly fumbling my way through a build (in the future). I see from your post over on Dave's build that you mention buying both the Van Edward Renaissance and Baroque build instructions, I must say the 13 course Baroque looks tantalising but which do you think is the better of the two? silly question, you're building the Renaissance :roll: so I guess that answers my question but is it worth considering the Baroque? I'd like to at least get one of them and codgitate & digest it & it's implications before considering building it.
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Van Andrews discusses advantages of a 7 course lute over an 8 course lute. Major advantage is the availability of music for the 7 course lute.