Strobe Tuners

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Localele

Strobe Tuners

Post by Localele » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 am

What brands and styles of tuners do you blokes use? I am thinking of buying a Peterson Strobe tuner for the workbench.
http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm ... =92&sub=72
The idea is to get something very accurate for intonation and checking.Just wondering if the strobe display is hard to use or something you can get used to.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:36 am

If you are prepared to spend $ then I don't think the Peterson tuners have an equal, they do also have a software version which is a bit cheaper, not heard too much about it but it's supposed to be comparable to the units they manufacture as far as accuracy goes. I know Siminoff uses it when he tap tunes his Mandolin tops. It has a spectrum analyser feature so you can 'take a picture' of the tap tone.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 am

Hey Micheal,

Nick and your assumptions are correct. You really can't go past the Peterson range as far as quality goes. I hadn't seen the model you had linked to before but I don't believe you would have any trouble reading it. They do give a lot more information than other tuners, but the basics are there too if you just want to focus on that.

I have a Violin making friend who bought the Autostrobe 490ST for tuning his violin plates etc, you will find it here -

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=71

It is incredibly accurate and responsive but unfortunately I can't afford one.

I bought the Strobosoft Deluxe package that Nick mentioned and Siminoff uses. I did this as I wanted an accurate tuner for a variety of instruments that my previous electronic ones could not manage effectively. I also wanted to play around with the tap tuning process (which it is capable of) and see what sort of results I could get. As a side, I want to make a xylophone for which it will be very useful... It is a very impressive piece of software - easy to read and has multiple 'sweetened' tunings built in etc. It is very accurate too so no concern there.

I only bought this a couple of months ago though so haven't had much opportunity to test out its full capabilities. I have tapped a few plates and other bits with interesting results though. I'll let you know when I've given it a more thorough work over...

Oh, and it can also tell you very precisely how out of key your singing is... :wink:

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:45 am

J.F. Custom wrote:Oh, and it can also tell you very precisely how out of key your singing is... :wink:
With my singing I doubt it, wouldn't have a big enough range of semitones!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 am

Does accuracy of the software rely on how good your microphone is? I've been thinking of getting the software, but if I also have to shell out for a new soundcard and decent mic, then I figure it would be easier to just buy the tuner. Thoughts anyone?

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 am

I've been using the strobosoft for some years now and have found it great for both tuning & tapping however...
It occassionally decides it can't detect a note when tuning an instrument. Frustrating.
This may be a problem with the laptop(s) I've had it loaded on (they've all been Dell models).
And I often think I should buy one of those itti-bitti laptops just to run this software so it's easier to physically manage, then realise I might as well just have bought the small stroboflip thingy instead of the software version.
Also,
Peterson apparantly have a software version for Apple's iPhone. Don't know what features are included?

Nick Payne
Myrtle

ST-122 Turbo Tuner

Post by Nick Payne » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 pm

I bought one of these a year or two back and have been extremely satisfied with it. I purchased directly from the manufacturer in the US - cost me about $A160 including shipping. The unit is small enough to fit in the small compartment under the neck in my guitar cases. Claimed accuracy is +-0.02 cents.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/pages/features.htm

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Paul B wrote:Does accuracy of the software rely on how good your microphone is? I've been thinking of getting the software, but if I also have to shell out for a new soundcard and decent mic, then I figure it would be easier to just buy the tuner. Thoughts anyone?
Hi Paul,

The 'accuracy' (stated at 0.001 of a semitone - good enough for me!) will depend on how clearly the sound is registered so, yes - to an extent, is the simple answer. However the 'quality' of the microphone need not be extreme - we are talking in the range of $30 - $70 for a Dynamic Cardioid model. Behringer make one as do others, so not a massive outlay. Having said that, decent results can be obtained even through your computers built in Mic, so any microphone will be an improvement. However, the same could also be said for all tuners - they all depend on registering the sound clearly so you are at no disadvantage there IMO. Also, the new version of the Strobosoft Deluxe does not need a compressor or any other additional equipment to tap tune as it 'locks' the tapped note. On top of this, it features:

Instruments: Contains 27 predefined instruments
Tunings: 59 built-in tunings, unlimited user tunings
Sweeteners: 38 built-in sweeteners including Peterson Sweetened Tuningsâ„¢ and BFTSâ„¢ settings (unlimited user sweeteners)

...which is why altogether, it won me over.
Craig Clancy wrote:I've been using the strobosoft for some years now and have found it great for both tuning & tapping however...
It occassionally decides it can't detect a note when tuning an instrument. Frustrating.
This may be a problem with the laptop(s) I've had it loaded on (they've all been Dell models).
Hi Craig,

I haven't found any problems yet - however I haven't put it through the paces as much as I'd like either. What version are you using? Are you using a mic? I have 2.0.1 which is 'supposed' to be the latest and greatest with numerous additional features, but particularly "Input Boost Added: +24dB input boost to fix problems where the input signal was not strong enough to achieve a successful tuning lock" which may have been the cause of your occasional problem. I'll update when I've had the chance to test it's capabilities some more in case there are others interested. For what it's worth, I use it on a Macbook Pro though I can't see why that would make any difference.

Also a general note to all - the "StroboFlip thingy" and the "V-SAM" don't have 'Tap Tuning' capabilities if you had wanted this feature. The only options there as far as I know are the genuine Strobe Tuners (not the virtual/digital type) or the StroboSoft Deluxe. Still great tuners though.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:21 am

Jeremy, I've got the older version of Strobosoft.
The problem may be as you stated.
I'll pay for the upgrade & see how it goes.
Thanks
Craig

Localele

Post by Localele » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:36 pm

I am also hoping to tap tune or at least try to find out what note the top is before it gets glued to the body.Possibly making another check of its note after gluing on and recording these for some kind of future reference.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:32 pm

OK, I downloaded the Strobosoft upgrade from ver1.0 to 2.0
I was surprised & pleased to find that this was free as I had purchased the strobosuite disk 3 years ago.
How good is that for looking after your customers :D

Anyway, being very familiar with the software I have spent the last hour playing around with the new bits.
All I can say is -WOW :shock: how good is this!
The averaging in tap tune mode is a stand out - had me annoying the guitar widow for half an hour while I "tap tested' the kitchen bench, the dining table, the stair rail and the chopping board.
The kids thought dad had finally lost it. :roll:

Unlike countless other software packages I have to deal with, I'm impressed with the 'step up' in version with this!

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:59 am

If you just want a simple software tuner that works from a PC, this one is fine:

http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

A shareware price of $35 USD seems pretty reasonable...

aloha,

Dave Hurd
http://www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:30 am

Hi, I had been using an old Conn Strobotuner since 1980, that I bought
from Ian Noyce in Ballarat Vic. For the last two years I have used the
Peterson tuner with a compressor. I also have the Conn in the system as it seems the Peterson finds it hard to settle on a note at times, so I use the Conn for confirmation. I'll be looking at the upgrade now though.
Taff

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Craig Clancy wrote:OK, I downloaded the Strobosoft upgrade from ver1.0 to 2.0 - All I can say is -WOW :shock: how good is this!
Hey Craig,

Great to hear! I'm surprised the upgrade was free - don't know of any other company that will upgrade free after that long a period. But better yet, I'm glad you like the new features, hopefully it solves the issues you had - plus some. And to think, if this topic hadn't come up, you'd still be on 1.0; thanks Micheal 8)
Craig Clancy wrote: The kids thought dad had finally lost it. :roll:
...they are your words :) I mean, tap testing the stair rail - why would anyone think that? We've all been there :shock:

What was it out of interest...? :wink:

Cheers mate,

Jeremy.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:35 am

Damn, don't remember,
Better go do it again! :wink:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:15 am

Okay Ive just bought the Mac version of Stobosoft and have it running happily on my ancient G4 Powerbook. Seems to run trouble free although I had to hand type the authentification code in when starting up the software for the first time (40 characters)...copy and paste didnt work as per instructions.