King Billy Pine as Bracewood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

vandenboom
Blackwood

King Billy Pine as Bracewood

Post by vandenboom » Mon May 25, 2009 9:33 pm

What a coindidence! I thought yesterday of putting up a question on suitabiilty of King Billy for bracing & just saw the same question for West Red Cedar.
I have a 1m plank of very stiff tight grain King Billy and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
Frank

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 25, 2009 9:50 pm

If possible Id be looking at making up a multi piece top out of the stuff rather than using it for bracing

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon May 25, 2009 10:00 pm

I wouldn't use it.

It may be relatively stiff but it won't be nearly as stiff as Red Spruce which I don't reckon you'll beat in the stiffness to weight stakes..
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

xray
Blackwood

Post by xray » Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 am

i agree, dont do it to avoid dissapointment. i dont think its possible to find king billy that isn't close grained but in comparison to other timer such as spruce, you would be mad to use it because it isn't really that stiff when sawn down to smaller sizing for braces. I think you should still test the stuff for stiffness though. do an experiment with scales and spruce king billy and wr cedar evferything the same and pull scales down untill the timber snaps and record the findings. i would say that a 40cm length would give you interesting results.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 am

Joining the rest and saying don't do it.
I like & use it as a soundboard on carved tops, but used bunya (had to be an aussie timber) or spruce (preferred) as the bracing.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Re: King Billy Pine as Bracewood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:28 pm

vandenboom wrote:What a coindidence! I thought yesterday of putting up a question on suitabiilty of King Billy for bracing & just saw the same question for West Red Cedar.

Frank
Hey Frank, I was going to put up a thread on Radiata for bracing but have never had the guts..... Seriously Ive used Kauri Pine with some success as well.
make mine fifths........

vandenboom
Blackwood

Spruce bracewood supplier

Post by vandenboom » Tue May 26, 2009 9:20 pm

...thanks everyone-got the message. But it will be interesting to the testing at some stage.
I need some spruce bracewood. I have managed to do 6 guitars with the spruce & mahogany billets that came in the 2 kits I bought from LMI when I started a couple of years go. Who do the australians purchase this from? Australian Tonewoods, someone else local or OS?

I bought a 3m plank of 9 x 2 spruce from Matthews timber (Melbourne) a while ago, and have used it for a couple of tops, but it is not real stiff.

Frank

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Gilet Guitars/Guitarwoods in Sydney will sell you as much sitka as you want for bracing. There are doubtless people in the US who will sell you the very fashionable Red spruce for bracing, but the postage makes it rather silly as a one-off purchase.

Of course it does rather depend on what you want to build...
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com