Silicon Blankets and Bending Slats

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Silicon Blankets and Bending Slats

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun May 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi All,

Just an update to these extensively covered topics for any new members as well as anyone considering upgrading their current system. Thanks to all the original 'posters' on the subjects.

Here is a current quote from Jim Foote at MEI - things have gone up a little...

Qty. 1 6" x 36"
240 Volt 1080 Watts 4.5 Amps.
6 Ft. Silicone Leads w/Tab

Price per heater: $109.57 each + shipping

Same heater as above with Type J Thermocouple

Price per heater: $122.48 each + shipping

Shipment: 3-4 weeks on receipt of purchase order.

Estimated shipping cost via U.S. parcel post to Australia should be around $30 to $40 USD.

Thank you and best regards,

Jim Foote
MEI

Makes the standard blanket about $23 cheaper than at LMI, closer in price now than it once was, but still the cheapest option. They will land here for between $180 and $200 AUD (a far cry from Allen's $100 odd AUD!!), though I'm not sure what method of shipping that quote uses. Possibly considering the price it is air express.

The other update is on the suggestion made by Kim - with thanks Kim! Years ago, I like Bob had tried many sheet fabricators, engineers and others to obtain stainless in the required thickness (or is that thin-ness?) to no avail. Kims suggestion was Blackwoods Engineering for the bending slats in the form of shim stock. They have the shim stock (spring steel) currently available in 6" x 100" rolls in a variety of thicknesses for about $40 odd for the 0.010". Plenty for both sides and some more for ukes or similar, making it a very good option.

They also have the shim stock in stainless steel now - not sure how new this is but it wasn't mentioned in the old posts. It is however considerably more expensive - I believe I was quoted about $130 for 6" x 50" x 0.006" and you'd need two! Or $80 odd for 12" x 50" x 0.010" - slightly thicker, but you'd have to cut it down the middle. Tricky in stainless.

Hope the update is of use for some.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Mon May 11, 2009 1:12 am

G'day Jeremy,

For the past several years, I've used aluminum flashing as a sheet metal source for my bending slats. It's dirt cheap in rolls from the hardware store and very easy to deal with. You can cut it just with scissors! But don't use your wife's good ones...:wink:

aloha,

Dave Hurd
http://www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon May 11, 2009 5:34 am

Thanks for the update Jeremy.

I bought my stainless slats from a local sheet metal mob. I got 6" X 36" by .6mm thick. 3 sheets were $60 AU total. I was looking for thinner, but after using them for about a dozen guitars I'm really happy with them. They really support the sides while bending, and I've not had even a hint of a crack or rippling in an side since using them.

They'd be far too heavy to do uke sides though. Davids suggestion of Alloy flashing would be more appropriate.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 am

Thanks for the update Jeremy, I will use it to update the MEI link.

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon May 11, 2009 9:28 am

Jeremy, the shipping sounds like they are quoting a flat rate priority box. It may be cheaper to send them in a large envelope, but I don't think they would be as well protected.

http://www.usps.com/international/sendpackages.htm

This might help shed some light on it.

vandenboom
Blackwood

Re: Silicon Blankets and Bending Slats

Post by vandenboom » Wed May 20, 2009 7:51 pm

J.F. Custom wrote:Hi All,
Here is a current quote from Jim Foote at MEI - things have gone up a little...

Qty. 1 6" x 36"
240 Volt 1080 Watts 4.5 Amps.
6 Ft. Silicone Leads w/Tab

Price per heater: $109.57 each + shipping

Same heater as above with Type J Thermocouple

Price per heater: $122.48 each + shipping

Shipment: 3-4 weeks on receipt of purchase order.

Estimated shipping cost via U.S. parcel post to Australia should be around $30 to $40 USD.
I need one of these. I have been using light bulbs in the bender up until now but it's a bit hit and miss on the scorching front.
If there is merit in a group purchase, I would be prepared to coordinate it.
But maybe items like this are not good candidates for a group buy, so please tell me what you think. On the other hand, if half a dozen people want one, it will reduce the shipping cost. But then there is GST to add!!
What do you think?

Jeremy - can I clarify a couple of things in the quote above.
- Are all prices $US?
- Goods include blanket and controller with thermocouple option - no other bits needed?
Frank

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Re: Silicon Blankets and Bending Slats

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 pm

vandenboom wrote: ...If there is merit in a group purchase, I would be prepared to coordinate it. But maybe items like this are not good candidates for a group buy, so please tell me what you think. On the other hand, if half a dozen people want one, it will reduce the shipping cost. But then there is GST to add!!
What do you think?

Jeremy - can I clarify a couple of things in the quote above.
- Are all prices $US?
- Goods include blanket and controller with thermocouple option - no other bits needed?
Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes all prices above are in $US.

No - quote is for standard blanket first, then with a 'J' type thermocouple for which you would need extra and expensive equipment to make use of. The latter is just an option that enables you to keep future options open. For more info, do a search of the forum for blankets etc. There are more thorough discussions of thermocouples and temperature control there. No 'controller' quoted on either if I have understood you correctly. The other point to note here is they they will require 'plugging' for our Australian sockets.

Lastly, I considered the group purchase idea myself but as you eluded to, I don't think it would be such a good idea. There is no indication from Jim Foote that any quantity discounts would apply so the only potential saving is in the postage. Given the expense of the individual items, you would quickly arouse the interests of Australian Customs and any potential savings would be lost. The only possibility IMO would be groups of two or three maybe, but the saving is minimal.

Good luck,

Jeremy.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu May 21, 2009 5:29 am

MEI's controller is in the $500 mark. Very pricey, but undoubtably works well, and easy to set up. There are other options out there to set the thermocouple up, but I've not explored them. I believe Kim has, so may be of some help.

I got the blanket with the thermocouple on it, thinking I would be using it. Now, I wouldn't get one installed, as for the way I bend, I just don't see the need.

These things are priced like a nice back and side set. Easy to justify the cost of them when you factor in how easy it is to bend a side set without breaking them.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Thu May 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Allen wrote:MEI's controller is in the $500 mark.
In my case, I would probably find it safer to buy controller & blanket from the one supplier, as I don't have any electrical skills or mates (electrical mates that is). In that case, LMI is looking reasonable...
240V controller : US$140
240V blanket :US$134
adapter kit (if u need it) :US$13
shipping (guesstimate) US$30
All up US$320 --> AUD$440

A fair outlay but, as Alan said, good value in the long term.
Am I missing something here?
Frank

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu May 21, 2009 7:07 pm

I've got an old cloths dryer under the house. I've heard people suggest they are a good source of stainless for slats. I've not really investigated this yet.

But they also have a timer and a thermostat for 240v. Seems like there are always a few for free on suburban verges too.

Its been in the back of my mind for a while now to try use these parts. Anyone know why this may not work?
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu May 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Frank

I really don't think you need the controller for the blanket.

I made one from a Dick Smith kit and it's still attached to the blanket when I bend but I don't use it at all.

If you can get down to Geelong one weekend you can have a go at bending a few sides to see how easy and inexpensive it is with just the blanket.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm

vandenboom wrote:In that case, LMI is looking reasonable...
240V controller : US$140
240V blanket :US$134
adapter kit (if u need it) :US$13
shipping (guesstimate) US$30
All up US$320 --> AUD$440

A fair outlay but, as Alan said, good value in the long term.
Am I missing something here?
Frank

Hey Frank,

LMI are a little more expensive in the blanket itself, but not a great deal. They aren't an ANZLF approved supplier though!! More to the point however, don't confuse a timer with a thermostat/controller. A timer will simply switch the unit off in a set time - eg five minutes, so you can't forget it and burn down the workshop. A controller/thermostat actually allows you to limit or control the precise temperature the blanket operates at. LMI do not currently sell a thermostat/controller for 240v as you can see from this statement taken off their web page -

"International customers:
All 220v blankets come with a European 2-pole round pin plug. The International Adaptor Kit (SPBLP) will accept this plug and adapt it to almost every country's plug configuration. Please note: we do not currently carry our temperature control in 220V."

I believe you were thinking they had a 220v thermostat not timer. I think(?) they used to sell one, but not anymore? Perhaps they had issues with either them or the supplier. I hope this clarifies things for you.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

vandenboom
Blackwood

Heater controller

Post by vandenboom » Thu May 21, 2009 8:10 pm

..gets me wondering about other options. eg. water bed heater pad & controller - available on ebay for $20.
Pads are rated at around 350W, but the controller may not be limited in this way - don't know. I need to find an electrician.
Frank

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 pm

bob wrote:Frank

I really don't think you need the controller for the blanket.

I made one from a Dick Smith kit and it's still attached to the blanket when I bend but I don't use it at all.
Bob & Jeremy - only just saw your replies.
Jeremy - I see the difference now - didn't fully appreciate it before.

Bob - you are making it all sound attractively simple. Thanks again for your offer - it would be great to see what a simple solution looks like. I will PM you in the next couple of weeks to see if there is a Sat/Sun time slot that suits you for a visit.
Thanks again everyone. Frank

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri May 22, 2009 5:29 am

I bought a standard light switch box and switch. The type that are installed in every house in Australia. Went to the Tip buy back shop and got a long power cord from a computer power supply for $1. Then wired the blanket and power cord to the light switch box. The box is mounted to a board so its easy to set down on the bench.

If hooking something up like this is too daunting for you, any Sparky should be able to do it for you for a very minimal charge.

I also got one of the digital thermometers from Dick Smith that Bob recommended. So now there is nothing more complicated than turn on blanket for 2 minutes. Watch temperature climb to 100 degrees C. Bend, and turn off blanket at 150 degrees C.

If the bending is taking longer than planned its easy as to turn blanket on and off to cycle the heat.

I always unplug the blanket when the bending is done. These blankets get really hot very fast, and it's too easy to have something unforeseen happen, and start a fire.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

vandenboom
Blackwood

blanket

Post by vandenboom » Fri May 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks gents - I understand how this works now.
I will order one of the basic MEI blankets.

Jeremy - do you have a contact email address for Jim Foote or should I just place an order via the MEI site?

I am happy to include a couple of orders from others in the shipment if there is interest - again, you may not consider it worthwhile. I would prefer no more than 4 (plus one for me) so that we are less likely to incur duty/GST. I hope it's ok for me to put that limit on it. Let me know if you are interested.

Frank

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Frank,

I just emailed Jim through the online purchase/quotation form as suggested by Kim in an older thread. Jim Foote was who replied by email after a couple of days. The email address is also listed on the site, but it's -

heaters@michaelsenterprises.com

You could copy and paste the text from my original post as your quote if you like, to save yourself time and just order one. I believe you will be about the fourth person to do so since I got the quote.

Good luck and it's a great investment.

Jeremy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 22, 2009 10:47 pm

You can always get one of these Mommas and run anything from America. You just need to check you dont black out your street when you fire up the blanket.