What's you your workbench?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

What's you your workbench?

Post by Allen » Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm

We haven't had one of these threads in a while, and it's great to get a look of what others are doing, without the work of a complete building thread, Also please feel free to post pictures of non Lutherie endeavors you feel the members would be interested.

This is part of my current project of building 2 EIR / German Spruce guitars with a Martin Short and Long scale length. Both have very forward shifted bracing, and I've given the tops the "wobble" test when I was thicknessing them. One ended up at .130 thick and the other at .125 thick.

I've braced these instruments according to Kent Everett's "Voicing DVD's" Very different to the way I've built before. I also added the extra seam reinforcements and "Popsicle Brace" to be on the cautious side, as these guitars are destined for Ohio.

Very orange Cocobolo binding from Bob the Zootman. Herringbone rosette and purflings.

Laminated linings, and interior completed, sealed with shellac. I've managed to get both boxes closed up by "Quitin' Time" on Monday. I got a heap done this weekend, along with having to completely rebuild my website after a computer disaster.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon May 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Your two projects are coming along nicely Allen.

I have another concert ukulele taking shape at the moment. It's all sapele from The Zootman, a koa headplate and endgraft from Dave Hurd. This long weekend I have been able to close the box, pore fill and sand down to 220 grit. My first time using Mahogany and it has been a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Dust and cobwebs on my work bench at the moment. Into week four out on the job but light at the end of the tunnel. Im back home for a few days and then the boss heads off for 4 weeks which means some serious time i nthe workshop. Got a classical to finish, a second classical with a troublesome finish to get fixed, planning for a lute and a 10 string classical. Oh yeah and I might get time to buy some tonewood :D

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Mon May 04, 2009 10:42 pm

A little something for someone out there..............

Cheers, Stu

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon May 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey Stu, any chance of a few more shots of that please?

Jim

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Tue May 05, 2009 5:54 am

Toejam wrote:Hey Stu, any chance of a few more shots of that please?
Jim
Jim, This one is a neck through construction hollow telecaster build.

I'll post more a little later, got to get to work now.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 05, 2009 5:54 am

One serious looking tele there Stu, along with Jim I would love to see more pics, Walnut top? (and as if by magic you post another whilst I type :) )
Nice bit of Coco there Allen, should be another doozy when you've finished, interesting bracing too, the cleats are different, have you noticed any difference in the tap properties as opposed to the 'traditional' bracing?
Just started another Selmer-Mac (as opposed to a Stew-Mac :) ) will put some pics up later when I've got some (forgot to bring the camera in yesterday!).
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue May 05, 2009 6:04 am

It's an interesting take on "voicing" that is presented in the DVD's. One thing that Kent seems to be saying is that you need some wood in a top to get a tone that will last for many, many years. No good to build so it sounds like a vintage instrument out of the gate, then have it die after only a few years.

So these are built with more wood. And they do tap much different to my previous instruments. Not so resonant as a free plate as what I'm used too. Now that the box's are closed up though there is a real "Thunderous" boom when I tap at the bridge plate. I'm crossing my fingers that this has gone to plan.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 05, 2009 6:11 am

Be interesting to see what it sounds like with strings on it, might have to have a look out for the DVD, always like to gather as many opinions as possible. Thanks Allen.
Sorry didn't mean to get off topic, was interseted to hear your thoughts though.

We now take you back to normal programming....
"Jesus Loves You."

Localele

Post by Localele » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 am

Things of all sizes on the bench at the moment.A Dread. , 3/4 Style 5 . Baritone and Tenor ukes.Been checking out the Kent Everett DVDs and he seems to have a good idea of what is going on.Seems 30 odd years as an apprenticeship really works.

Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 am

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Tue May 05, 2009 8:07 am

Sure, I'll play along.

I've got two guitars on the go right now.

First is a Tassie Blackwood/Lutz SJ (of the Jim Olson variety) Back and sides are together, top is braced and voiced and ready to attach to the rims.

Here's the back with back strip

Here's the back being glued to the rims

Here's a poser shot of the back through the sound hole before it was glued to the rims

And here's the top bracing (reluctant to show it, but what the heck)

"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue May 05, 2009 8:20 am

Nice to see Rod, inspiring stuff.

Jim

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 am

I do like the look of Rod's soundboard bracing. Food for thought in that one. An original or from someone else?

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 am

This is a nylon string with a shortened scale for my almost seven year old daughter, she requested flowers and hearts. The flowers that are the sound hole rosette(sort of) were designed by her , I will also put some of them on the headstock. Oh and she hasn't started to learn yet :D

Jim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 05, 2009 9:52 am

Jim, as Kim on Kath & Kim would say.........Nice, Nice,it's unuuusual! I love your rosette/soundhole combi, even if your daughter doesn't take up the instrument fully she will certainly end up with a beaut guitar. Love to see it when you've completed it.
"Jesus Loves You."

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Tue May 05, 2009 11:08 am

Just scraping bindings on another L-1. This one is all "California Koa"... OK, just walnut, but after the post of the gorgeous guitar with King Billy Pine I guess I got a bit envious of the really cool name. Great seeing the things people are working on.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

obmit
Blackwood

Post by obmit » Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am

Onto my second Uke.

One side finished.

The other side drying in the press.

Back material. veneer

Sound board material. solid sepele

The press I use.

The drum sander I use.

Cheers

Tim
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ImBroken8/annoyingbug.gif[/img]
http://holeshotnitro.com/

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Tue May 05, 2009 11:44 am

Graham McDonald wrote:I do like the look of Rod's soundboard bracing. Food for thought in that one. An original or from someone else?

cheers

graham
Thanks Graham.

Well, I've not seen one like this before. I've seen variations of the double X-brace but all of those have seen the secondary X-brace much lower in the bout and also much heavier. And than there is the full lattice braced tops. Nope, I like to think this is mostly original with a little bit of outside influence. Certainly nothing I've ever heard before on a completed instrument.

My main brace is also splayed alot (measures at 112*) and is also pretty light at 1/4" wide by 1/2" at the intersection, tapering at the lower bout to nothing. The secondary X-brace is 3/16" wide by 1/4" hight at the intersection, tapering at the lower bout to nothing. The bridge plate is BRW and is only 1/16" thick. Thinner than most "plans" for sure and most "suggested".

The tap tone is the best I've ever come up with. Very bell like and rings for quite a long time. Yet when I tap it in the lower bout it drones like the drones on a bag pipe. I've very excited about this top.
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I agree there Rod, I've seen the double cross before but not quite as fine as yours looks and not with that horizontal member between the lower arms of the lower cross, you are a brave man mate and that rosette is very pretty. If possible I would like to book a sound demo on that one please Rod. I am curious about how thick you are leaving the sound board and why you were reluctant to show it?

Jim

I meant to add that 'Californian Koa' makes a great looking soundboard too John.

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Tue May 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey ToeJam Jim,

Well, one never knows who lurks on the forums and sometimes it's hard for me to post pictures of my bracing. I know that I do things a little different (just a little though, not a ton) and honestly, I have very little answers for why I do something other than to try something new. That's why I'm reluctant at times. As for the soundboard thickness. It's at 0.098". This is one stiff lutz spruce top and with the secondary X-brace tucked up behind the belly of the bridge, I think it will stay plenty strong to resist belling (of a large amount). The other side of this is that I'm really working on coming up with "MY Sound" for my guitars and posting pictures of one's bracing design is sort of like the DNA strand, or a good portion of it anyway.

As for the sound demo, well if you can make it up to Canada this summer (winter for you) that might be able to be arranged, if the owner will allow it that is :).

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Rod,

More power to you for the design. It just looks like it should work, so don't feel nervous about having people look at it. I use a hybrid X/lattice design on my pin bridge bouzoukis and I keep on coming across people who say it won't work though after 15 years or so I reckon it does.

There will always be people out there who will dismiss original thinking in guitar design because Martin/ Gibson etc didn't do it that way. Some ideas will work, some won't and I have certainly come up with lots of ideas over the years which 'seemed like a good idea at the time' and subsequently proved a little less viable :(

It is an interesting comparison with Allen's much heavier standard X bracing.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Well Rod it would be my preference to hear it in the same room (Canadian winter, no thanks brbrbrbrbr) but a recording of a few chords strummed would be excellent. Also thanks for posting even though you were reluctant it is great to see anything on the 'a bit different' side.

I have had a bit of a sniff at your Hybrid X/lattice before Graham and have considered dropping that style in a guitar and I love the look of those type 2 bouzoukis very much.

Jim

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:05 pm

A few responses needed here,

Impressive "little something" Stu...? little something... sheesh.... The hollow is for weight or is there a tone imperative?

You got a lucky daughter Jim, I look forward to the finished photos

Eeeeeewwww John, that looks so sweet. I reckon there are a lot of unexplored tonewood combinations.

I want to ban Rod............

My offering, Sassy from Tim Spittle, Cooktown Ironwood fretboard, bindings, heelcap (still to be added) & bridge, Spruce top, NG Walnut neck from our old lounge and NSW Cedar for the headplate, vanilla Torres as Martin would say. Needs a few more coats of TruOil and a good rub down (who doesnt?). Im up to the making the bridge and stick the fretboard down bits.

Thats my kitchen bench,
make mine fifths........

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Rod - I too like the look of your new bracing. I appreciate experimentation in instrument making and look forward to hearing your assessment upon completion. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to brace an instrument; just different approaches - some work and some don't, though to an extent, even this is subjective as each player likes and dislikes different sounds.

I am currently working on a variety of projects. This is a rosette I had recently completed on a bouzouki I am building - (yes I've used it as my avatar). Here it is ready to glue up -

Now here it is glued in and sanded level.

It's Ring Gidgee and Ring Mulga with mitred purfling on each piece. It was fiddly and time consuming also because the individual pieces are made up of several tiles each.

Nice to see some current work Mike! Though I'm a bit concerned about those Localeles of yours - they appear to be breeding, and getting BIGGER :shock:

Jeremy.
Last edited by J.F. Custom on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.