What's you your workbench?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:38 pm

That's a nice buxom L1 you have there. very tasty.

... and no, i don't think you've missed anything important. Maybe some smoked lamb fillet, and a game of chess, but otherwise you've got all bases covered.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks Martin, I love hanging out down there on a sunny afternoon which we get heaps of in winter in the ACT. I have a bird bath just outside the window so I can sit at my bench and watch the birds and see the hills and mountains in the distance. I've put a lot of thought and work into getting everything just right but it is paying off because it is a lovely work space now.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Joe Sustaire
Myrtle

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks Dom, I'd like to read that about the spanish foot.

And John, I've got to have more info on your L1! I've been wanting to build one for a good while, what plans did you use? What are the woods? What bracing pattern? I need more pics, inside and out. Maybe do a thread on it?
I know your dealing with Healdsburg now, but seriously I need more info! Help? :D

Thanks,
Joe
The only safe thing to do, is to take a chance! Mike Nichols

jb2060
Sassafras

Post by jb2060 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:Here's whats on my bench at least until I finish this post and take it back upstairs.

Last night I did a fret dress and revisited the fret ends on this one. It was built in 2006 and gets a lot of use these days when folks come over to jam and I also use it as a demonstrator and take it with me when I get invited to jam with some local bands.

L-OO shape, tapered bracing, light weight, big sound - Bob played it last year when he was here.

The sides and back are Tiger Myrtle from Tim and the top is Lutz from Shane. The top is AAA and it is NOT painted because I was covering something up - this guitar was slated for a black top from the getgo. The top is bound in ebony and the idea was to get that 1/4" thick "drop-top" look not unlike a PRS. The back and fret board are bound in Tiger with the idea being to down play the bindings since the black black top and Tiger are so very in your face looking.

The scale is 25.4 and this guitar is very loud but has strong mids and does finger style or flat picking very well.

It's kind of fun to revisit your past projects and in this case update them with things that you have learned since in this case it was fret dressing and fret ends.
Wow! I love that guitar Hesh... it is really stunning with the contrast of the black top with the Tiger myrtle. I am guessing that you have ebonised the top in some way and then stained it black. I have recently bought some chemicals for bleaching and ebonising but haven't tried it yet. Your results are fantastic.
Jason Brouwers
Sydney