Petite Jumbo Back and Top Braced Up.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Petite Jumbo Back and Top Braced Up.

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:24 pm

Here's some pictures of the latest one. The top is California Redwood. First time using it. It was fairly floppy before bracing, but has a really nice resonance now that it's braced. Of course only HHG used for bracing and plate joining. The more I use it the more I love it.

This is a body plan that I designed myself and I'm shooting for a very light, responsive guitar. Will see how it turns out. The basic body dimensions are that of a 000/0M but with the more pleasing to the eye "Fat Bottomed Girl" look of the Jumbo. At least I prefer Fat Bottom Girls.:D

Each one that I build gets lighter and more responsive. I'm getting more favorable comments with each successive build so I hope that I'm heading in the right direction.:roll:

The bracing is 7X15 mm and the top weights 215 grams right now. I've ended the X-braces before the linnings in the lower bout in order to free it up some more. The brace wood is some perfectly 1/4rd red cedar. The bridge plate some Qld. Walnut.

The back and sides are mahogany and all the back braces are mahogany as well. The center strip is an off cut from the back. It weights in at 235 grams.

Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:02 pm

Looking good Allen. Where did you source the Californian Redwood? Is this Sequoia?

Cheers Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm

Got it from Berry Kerr. He had it on ebay when I was getting some other wood from him, so I threw in a bid and ended up with it. I just love the red tones in the Australian Cedar top that I used and was looking for something similar. I haven't been able to find any more suitable cedar, so this one will have to do for now.

I think that it is sequoia but wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Hey Allen,

Gee thats beautiful work there mate!!!! You have em built while I'm still thinking about it.

Cheers

Alan

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Looking Great

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Allen your workmanship looks excellent and I like that shape too - very much.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:27 am

I don't know if it works any better but I sure like the looks of the X braced back! Good work Allen!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:20 am

The first guitar I built I followed the plans exactly, and it called for the low wide braces on the back lower bout. That back ended up flexing back and forth from concave to convex depending on humidity. I didn't have any sort of humidity control on that first one.

I ask for options on the MIMF and was told of this option. So far it really has helped to hold the shape even when I bring it out to work on it in the garage and RH is 85% +.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia